Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Quote from: thunder storm on April 12, 2014, 02:47:09 PM
After reading about the bootflag issue of the 5D MK III, I wanted to ask - Is this issue relevant on the 6D as well?

Mu. The bootflag issue has been solved some time ago.

Quote from: thunder storm on April 12, 2014, 02:47:09 PMI don't want to do any non-reversible action on my new 6D!

Sure thing! Put your camera on the shelf. Don't even think about using the shutter release button or the liveview button because those actions are non-reversible. Shutter count will be increased.

Ciao
Walter

z9zzzzzz

Recent builds of Magic Lantern appear to be causing frequent but intermittent err 01 when used with the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC. Tried an earlier build and it works fine. Other lenses are OK.

thunder storm

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 13, 2014, 02:02:53 AM
Sure thing! Put your camera on the shelf. Don't even think about using the shutter release button or the liveview button because those actions are non-reversible. Shutter count will be increased.

Ciao
Walter

I was asking about the firmware-downgrade action, because I never did it in that direction.
Anyhow, I appreciate your serious, thoughtful answer. You are a "Hero Member" and "Contributor", right?
Is there a question here that can be asked and get informative answer? >:(

Because it seems here on the forums that if you ask a "stupid" question (in your eyes) you are being mocked and/or called a "Troll", but when I ask a more "Serious" question (after I was googling it many times to avoid duplicate topics) I get no answers!   (and then we wonder about forks and Tragic Lantern and why no stable progress has been made since 2012?)
I am not a programmer, and I have no abilities in doing the wonderful things you did, but giving everyone the respect they deserve is something which reflects back upon you.

I will paste here is my "sophisticated" question that didn't get answer: In 600D you have crop video mode that eliminate all moire and aliasing problems. I was trying to find first via Google and here if ML with the RAW VIDEO function could record from the center of the sensor on the 6D as well. There is no documentation yet to be red.
And regarding that, if that is possible, since 6D is incapable of recording Full-HD raw video due to the bandwidth limit, I wanted to find out whether it's possible to use the normal Canon compression - so it would be possible to record Full-HD from the center of the sensor.

Marsu42

Quote from: thunder storm on April 13, 2014, 07:01:00 AM
Because it seems here on the forums that if you ask a "stupid" question (in your eyes) you are being mocked and/or called a "Troll", but when I ask a more "Serious" question (after I was googling it many times to avoid duplicate topics) I get no answers!

That's probably because a lot of easy questions have already been answered and went in a faq in some kind or another, but new questions might be those other people also don't know the answer to.

Quote from: thunder storm on April 13, 2014, 07:01:00 AM
I will paste here is my "sophisticated" question that didn't get answer: In 600D you have crop video mode that eliminate all moire and aliasing problems.

Yes, You *have* to record in crop mode when recording raw, I don't know if it improves the bad moire on 6d (but it might as long as now sensor downsizing is involved), but you can barely record 720p due to the slow sd card speed (40mb/s max).

NikeFreak

does not turn on the machine, if there is no flash card and file folders ml autoexec.bin. ie usually flash cards (without mL) is not included, blink once and silence, after which it is necessary to pull out the battery
не включается аппарат, если на флеш карте нет папки ml и файла autoexec.bin. то есть с обычно флеш картой (без мл) не включается, один раз моргнет и тишина, после чего надо вытаскивать батарею
6D ML + Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS II + Canon 50mm F1.8 STM + Zenitar 16mm F2.8 + Canon SpeedLite 430EX II
650D ML + Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM + Helios 44-2 58mm F2.0
500D ML + Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS II + Canon 18-55 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

thunder storm

Quote from: Marsu42 on April 13, 2014, 09:11:20 AM
Yes, You *have* to record in crop mode when recording raw, I don't know if it improves the bad moire on 6d (but it might as long as now sensor downsizing is involved), but you can barely record 720p due to the slow sd card speed (40mb/s max).

From what I have tried&tested with the 600D - It records the currently selected canon video mode and don't do any crop.
For example, if I set on the canon menu 1920x1080 without digital zoom (no crop mode), then the RAW video would take a portion out of THAT - not from the center of the sensor. That is - The camera scan about every 3rd line to get a 1920x1080 output, and the magic lantern can grab 950x540 crop out of THAT 1920x1080 screen. So yes, still the same ugly moire.
If I select the digital zoom (crop mode) on the 600D, the RAW VIDEO portion (950x540) would be taken out of that = No moire.
Am I right? Correct me if I am wrong. I'll be happy if I am wrong! :D

Marsu42

Quote from: thunder storm on April 13, 2014, 08:24:01 PMSo yes, still the same ugly moire.

Ah, right, 6d would be about the same, raw_rec and mlv_rec are modules that work the same way on all cameras. For in-depth answers I'll let someone else step in as I'm no video guy, if I would be I wouldn't have bought the 6d :-p

boogotti84

Hello,
just wondering is it possible to make a config file and have tragic-lantern boot up with this config file by default for 6D?

or can you do this?
if you hold e.g set button when camera is booting up  will load config file 1.
if you hold  trash button while camera is booting up will load config file 2

i know that 5D mark3 can do this can 6D TL do this?

jayb

Hi folks,

I've been testing a nightly build (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr04.6D113) and noticed a bug with the intervelometer function:

When I've used the intervelometer, stopped it, then powered down the camera (say overnight) next time I switch the 6D back on it seems to immediately start snapping again with the intervelometer function running.

I'll update to a more recent nightly in the next couple days and see if the behaviour persists.

pio_hyun

I know that we're all doing RAW stuff with 6D, but I really don't know if we could enable clean HDMI output on this camera to use with Atomos Ninja? Since 5D3 had upgrade this feature from Canon I am so confuse with my decision to go with 6D~ Cheers!

Marsu42

Quote from: pio_hyun on April 15, 2014, 09:13:36 AM
I really don't know if we could enable clean HDMI output on this camera

You can't, at least afaik & atm. Don't be sad, the 6d is not a good video cam anyway.

a1ex

You should be able to clear the overlays, but that doesn't really count as clean HDMI out. You are limited to 1620 pixels, which is actually not too far from the raw feed resolution (1808 here, around 1700 on most small cameras).

dbattaglia

Hi to everybody,

I'm new to Magic Latern and I would like to know how does it work the intervalometer function together with GPS recording.

I use the camera for aerial photogrammetry and I need to get shots at specified time interval with the GPS position.

Regards

Daniele

nanomad

I think it will work just fine, ML is emulating a user pressing the shutter button
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

blaow

for raw video, 1808x* resolutions are no longer the max horisontal res on newer builds for canon 6d when selecting anything higher than 1792, 1792 is limit, why so? I was able to do so with builds from february.

jackmoro

Replaced from latest nightly build all ML file, Powersave doesnt work anymore (no DIM display etc).

okuri71

Bug with intervalometer

Hi Guys, I'm using v2.3next.2014Mar09.6d113 Mercurial changeset b7b428c610ef built on 2014-03-08 23:37:26 and it seems the intervalometer is not working well. Between each shoot "as set" there is another shoot with 1/10s exposure when I shoot in continuous mode  Take pics ... like crazy.

javapop

The current firmware id v.114 on the 6D. Do I need to downgrade to v113 to install nightly build?

Is there a way to use headphones, and plug in usb plug with RCA to 1/8 plug adaptor, without disabling the LCD? I've nay used ML on a T2i.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: javapop on April 21, 2014, 11:36:44 PMDo I need to downgrade to v113 to install nightly build?

Read first post of this thread.

javapop

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 21, 2014, 11:46:29 PM
Read first post of this thread.

Thanks, totally overlooked that. Is audio monitoring via USB working on the 6D?

javapop

Noticed this as well... hoping it is addressed pretty soon.

pio_hyun

Quote from: javapop on April 22, 2014, 03:41:00 AM
Thanks, totally overlooked that. Is audio monitoring via USB working on the 6D?

Not yet with ML Nightly Build but you can use TragicLantern for Audio Monitoring Feature ^^

PeterTosh

I have the latest nightly on my new 6D. It works fine in general - thanks to everyone for all of their hard work!

One specific question about RAW video recording... 1792x resolution is the largest I can select, but it says that it requires like 80MB/sec to do 29fps at that resolution, and the max my card (and the 6D in general?) can do is 40MB/sec or so. To get down to 40MB/sec I have to lower the resolution way down - so what's the point of recording in RAW at such a low resolution? Am I missing something here?

dmilligan

It's true that SD cameras are not great for RAW video. Doesn't mean it's totally useless.

You can record short bursts at that resolution, or lower the FPS. RAW video can be used at low FPS for applications other than videography such as things like planetary astrophotography.

720p at 24fps should come in at just under 40MB/s. I would be happy if I could do even that with my 60D, which is limited to 20MB/s.

In scenes with a lot of motion/detail H.264 can look like terrible. Even a lower resolution RAW footage may outperform the H.264 at a higher resolution in terms of detail preservation, same would go for motion artifacts. Additionally, having the extra dynamic range and color depth, may be more valuable than simply having higher resolution.