Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rktaylor

Thanks for bringing it back to the nightly builds !!!
6D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L

neacail

Wow! Thank you for bringing the 6D back to nightly builds. :)

Unfortunately, I can't code. I will try to prepare suitable bug reports for you, however. I have magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb16.6D113 installed and I did come across a bug last night. I'm not sure exactly what I did to cause it, so I'll try to duplicate it, and get a bug report written. I won't be able to try each nightly build, but hopefully I can still be of some assistance.
70D | 6D

michi

Hi guys, thanks for bringing 6D back to ML!  :D

As I moved from a 650D with ML to a 6D without ML I'm missing lots of features...

Gonna start TODAY installing ML on the 6D and try to write an installation guide.

If you need any files for development or bugfixing just ask  ;)

RogueFive

I am picking up a 6D in the next month ... more than happy to help.

michi

HOWTO install ML Nightly on 6d

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5530.msg37766#msg37766

This tutorial still works perfect.

Then go on downloading latest build from here http://builds.magiclantern.fm and replace files on SD card

Congrats, you run ML Nightly! And now please support the devs  ;)

l_d_allan

Quote from: Kromofone on December 17, 2012, 10:40:35 PM
This is awesome news! :D
+1
QuoteI prefer the 6D over the 5D mk3 because of better noise performance
And Much Lower Price.

BTW: In late 2013, there were deals on the 6d at about $1400, if you checked on CanonRumors . Prices seemed to have gone up since then.

AeroGirl

I posted the following over on the 6D - Install guide and Raw Shooting thread, just thought I would post it here to, with the added question, will the special updater file to dump the firmware, dump a copy of v1.1.4 of the firmware that I have on my new camera so that I can re-install that version if I start playing with ML on v1.1.3?

Also, although my time is rather limited at the moment, I would be happy to help out with development of ML for the 6D.

Anyway, here was my post on the other thread just for background (rather than re-typing).

Over the week end I got my new Canon 6D, lovely camera, and a nice upgrade from my 60D with it's Full Frame sensor.

Now I love Magic Lantern on my 60D, I use it mainly for the Intervalometer, and advanced bulb timer etc for time lapse photography.

I was hoping to put ML onto my 6D, and looking at the instructions you need to downgrade the firmware to v1.1.2 first, which I have no problem with, except that my Camera has come with v1.1.4 of the 6D firmware.  From my searching it appears that v1.1.4 has yet to be released by Canon, I have been unable to located that version of the firmware anywhere to download, so I am a little reluctant to downgrade to v1.1.2, since I will then not be able to go back to v1.1.4 until it is released officially.

So does anyone know how to backup the existing firmware, and also if ML will work with version 1.1.4?

shahed26

Hi

I am new to ML and mostly do wildlife and rare wedding photography with my 7D. I am deciding between Mark III and 6D, but most probably will go for 6D due to price and similar IQ compare to Mark iii.

I will be here very often to report bugs and help the devs to further improve the 6D.

Before getting a 6D just wanted to confirm if it supports 3x crop zoom mode and if its only for video or stills. Also 6D does HDR only in jpeg, so was wondering if HDR raw is possible with ML.

Thanks

Marsu42

Quote from: shahed26 on March 03, 2014, 02:46:54 PM
I am new to ML and mostly do wildlife and rare wedding photography with my 7D. I am deciding between Mark III and 6D, but most probably will go for 6D due to price and similar IQ compare to Mark iii.

Be very conscious of the disadvantages of the 6d (af precison, speed, light sensitivity of the outer points) - if you want it for *tracking* wildlife just save more money for a 5d3, the 6d is horrible at it.

Quote from: shahed26 on March 03, 2014, 02:46:54 PM
Also 6D does HDR only in jpeg, so was wondering if HDR raw is possible with ML.

No & won't happen.

shahed26

Thanks Marsu42 for your quick reply. Looks like I will go for 5D Mark iii. Also noticed Mark iii has more overall support for ML as well which is a big plus for ML users of Mark iii.

Thanks

1%

QuoteNo & won't happen.

You have every type of HDR but can't combine it in camera.

shahed26

Quote from: 1% on March 03, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
You have every type of HDR but can't combine it in camera.

I assume you mean "Dual ISO, HDR bracketing" ?

I understand it cant be done in the camera, and will require me to do things manually on a computer with all those great tools available on this forum.

As long as 6D supports HDR bracketing, i wont need the in-camera HDR

@ Mods
Do apologise if am getting this thread a bit off topic.

Thanks

1%

Yea the bracketing should work, there was a bug introduced from something but should be fixed in both versions

shahed26

Thanks. Was thinking of getting 5D mark iii but found a great deal on the 6D. I just need to decide now and think deep because i do alot of wildlife and that AF on the 6d is holding me back.

End of the day i am a ameuter photographer jumping to a full frame so the poor AF might not be a deal breaker after watching some more youtube reviews.

Marsu42

Quote from: shahed26 on March 03, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
Thanks. Was thinking of getting 5D mark iii but found a great deal on the 6D. I just need to decide now and think deep because i do alot of wildlife and that AF on the 6d is holding me back.

This is really ot (create an own thread) but I cannot stress this enough - the 6d has great sensor iq and saves you a lot of $$$ vs. 5d3, but the 6d only does single center-point tracking which inherently loses focus now and again & produces a lot less keepers. Multi-point tracking is a catastrophe and you can only select all at once, no af pt expansion, no nothing. If you're an amateur and can live with that, fine, but for wildlife tracking the 6d is the absolutely worst choice among the whole Canon crop or ff linup (well, with the 5d2). Or buy a Nikon d610 :-)

shahed26

Thanks Marsu42 for the detailed info. Am aware of this poor AF and will create another thread in future if i have any questions. I have decided to go with Mark iii because i will be using some pro features as well that the 6D lacks and the obvious AF and ML 1080p raw 24fps for other video needs.

So yes the Mark iii works out more better overall. Thanks

nandoide

About the backporting to ML.

I'm doing a lot of tests on raw_rec and mlv_rec on 6D ML version.
I've found two issues.
1)  edmac-memcpy.c dmaFlags should be  0x20001000, as we have in TL. The other 0x40001000 hangs the cam (battery remove and so on) and get error EDMAC timeout in raw_rec. mlv_rec doesn't hangs but the recordings no OK. I propose something like that:

void* edmac_copy_rectangle_cbr_start(...
{
    take_semaphore(edmac_memcpy_sem, 0);

/* see wiki, register map, EDMAC what the flags mean. they are for setting up copy block size */
    #if defined(CONFIG_6D)
      uint32_t dmaFlags = 0x20001000;
    #else
      uint32_t dmaFlags = 0x40001000;
    #endif

2) raw_rec.c hackliveview there is no reference to 6D. It's necesary to inform it
uint32_t dialog_refresh_timer_addr = /* in StartDialogRefreshTimer */
            cam_50d ? 0xffa84e00 :
            cam_5d2 ? 0xffaac640 :
            cam_5d3 ? 0xff4acda4 :
            cam_550d ? 0xFF2FE5E4 :           
            cam_600d ? 0xFF37AA18 :
            cam_650d ? 0xFF527E38 :           
            cam_7d  ? 0xFF345788 :
            cam_700d ? 0xFF52B53C :
            cam_60d ? 0xff36fa3c :
            cam_6d  ? 0xFF52BE94 :

a1ex

1) are there specific resolutions that hang, or all of them are troublesome?

nandoide

Humm. OK. Several battery removes ??? and I can conclude:

Only when I select a resolution that excedes cam capabilities, for instance 1920 for 1X. Or 3584 for 5X.

At 1X the cam selects 1808 as x_resolution for 1X and 2672 as x_resolution max for 5X.

As I  record sometimes  at different resolutions for 1X and 5X and I found very handy the automatic computation.

a1ex

It should select 1792.

If I'm not mistaken, the horizontal resolution should be multiple of 16 pixels and multiple of 8 bytes (which should be equivalent to multiple of 32 bytes).

# checking whether multiple of 16 pixels and multiple of 8 byte are equivalent to multiple of 32 bytes

In [25]: (arange(65)*14/8)%8 + arange(65)%16
Out[25]:
array([ 0,  2,  5,  8, 11,  5,  8, 11, 14, 16, 11, 14, 17, 19, 14, 17,  4,
        6,  9,  4,  7,  9, 12,  7, 10, 12, 15, 18, 13, 15, 18, 21,  0,  2,
        5,  8, 11,  5,  8, 11, 14, 16, 11, 14, 17, 19, 14, 17,  4,  6,  9,
        4,  7,  9, 12,  7, 10, 12, 15, 18, 13, 15, 18, 21,  0])

Here's a patch to be applied on top of current unified, can you try it?

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/mod32.patch

nandoide

Of course. I applied it manually (I've a a slightly modified version)

OK for %64 only (tested in raw_rec).

The upper patch I think it's obsolete (the resolutions). I don't apply them.

The changes at edmac-memcpy at 5x cause data corruption at all resolutions. But it's OK if we check only dst_width.

a1ex

Correct, it's dst_width that needs to be checked (since src_width is what we get from Canon).

About 1x, both %32 and %64 should select 1792. Doesn't work with %32?

nandoide

For 1x works with %32, but for 5x we need %64. I get data corruption: it selects 2656.

a1ex

Alright, will try this one on 5D3 (done, 2656 works fine, I'm confused).

Can you add this printf in raw_rec?

+bmp_printf(FONT_SMALL, 50, 50, "dst=%x src=%x sw=%d x=%d y=%d w=%d h=%d ", ptr, fullSizeBuffer, raw_info.pitch, (skip_x+7)/8*14, skip_y/2*2, res_x*14/8, res_y);
    int ans = (int) edmac_copy_rectangle_start(ptr, fullSizeBuffer, raw_info.pitch, (skip_x+7)/8*14, skip_y/2*2, res_x*14/8, res_y);

nandoide

Well, the problem is dst_width is transformed previously by a factor 14/8, and 2656*14/8 = 4648 % 16 != 0

Perhaps this safety check in edmac should be :

if ( ( dst_width*8 ) /14 % 16) return 0