Question about directly connecting a Rode shotgun mic to my 5D mark II

Started by nedyken, December 15, 2012, 11:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedyken

So I guess because I like taking shortcuts, I bought a Rode NTG-2 Shotgun mic kit off B&H:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747422-REG/Rode_NTG_2_Shotgun_Microphone_HDSLR.html  ... It comes with an XLR to 3.5mm adapter that I'm using to just directly connect the mic into my Mark II's 'Mic" port. 

Crazy, I know.  I had seen some videos mentioning using some kind of "JuicedLink" device, but I wasn't totally catching the purpose of the device.  Additionally, the model that was being recommended (CX231) is apparently discontinued on B&H so I figured I'd just buy that mic kit now and if I had trouble I'd worry about it later.

Yesterday I finally got a chance to test it out.  The first I noticed was that the audio was VERY faint.  I wasn't really sure what settings in Magic Lantern I should try tweaking to resolve this.   

In order to have the audio at an appropriate level on the audio meters, I currently have the following settings:

Analog Gain:  32DB
L-DigitalGain:  12DB
R-DigitalGain:  12DB
Input Source:  Auto INT/ext (sounds identical if I just select "External Stereo" here)
AGC: Off

That allowed me to hear the mic at a proper level, but it definitely seemed to be introducing a lot of audio noise.  Is that the purpose of the JuicedLink?   

Also, I tried connecting a Sennheiser wireless lavalier mic (it naturally has a 3.5mm output), and it was naturally much louder than the Rode shotgun.  In other words, I didn't need to crank the Gain nearly as high in order for it to be registering at a appropriate level on the audio meters. 

So am I missing something in the settings?  Is that just the way it is... and the purpose of the Juicedlink?    If so, what model of the juicedlink do you recommend (since that model I tried to find was discontinued)... or do you just suggest I use a separate recorder like the Zoom H4N and sync the audio later?

Note:  I should also mention that I'm using this little Sescom adapter to plug my headphones directly into the A/V port and I'm having no trouble monitoring audio:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749719-REG/Sescom_DSLR_5DMKII_HOCF_Canon_5D_MkII_A_V.html

vbcoen

My 4 pennies worth:

I have a 60D and had similar issues, change setting 2 & 3 to zero.

Check impedance of mic to that of 5d2 as some mics are not compatible but try first using int. mic for settings then reconnect ext. mic using same.

Vince
5D3, 24 - 105, 16 - 35, Tamron f2.8 70-200, 580Ex II, Yongnuo 622C flash units, Cokin filters

Malcolm Debono

Not quite familiar with the NTG2, but according to its specs you can power it either through batteries or through phantom power. Are you using batteries?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Jolly Roger

I have the Rode NTG-2. To get proper level from that mic, you need a (good) pre-amp. This is the purpose of JuicedLink.

Simply, the on-camera preamp is not powerful enough to bring up decent levels from NTG-2.

BTW, of you mind about external recorder, lot of people report low audio levels with combo NTG2 - ZOOM H4N (i.e. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?223640-H4n-NTG2-Dissappointment-So-Far), probably due the not-so-strong pre-amps of the ZOOM. I planned to skip the H4N and buy a Tascam DR-100mkII instead..
Right now I'm using a mixer, but isn't a comfortable solution..

Cheers

nedyken

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on December 16, 2012, 12:23:50 AM
Not quite familiar with the NTG2, but according to its specs you can power it either through batteries or through phantom power. Are you using batteries?
Yes there's a single AA battery in there. 

nedyken

Quote from: Jolly Roger on December 16, 2012, 03:07:32 AM
I have the Rode NTG-2. To get proper level from that mic, you need a (good) pre-amp. This is the purpose of JuicedLink.

Simply, the on-camera preamp is not powerful enough to bring up decent levels from NTG-2.

BTW, of you mind about external recorder, lot of people report low audio levels with combo NTG2 - ZOOM H4N (i.e. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?223640-H4n-NTG2-Dissappointment-So-Far), probably due the not-so-strong pre-amps of the ZOOM. I planned to skip the H4N and buy a Tascam DR-100mkII instead..
Right now I'm using a mixer, but isn't a comfortable solution..

Cheers

Good to know about the NTG2 - Zoom H4N combo.  Do you personally used a Juicdedlink with your mic then?  Which model do you recommend?

Btw I'm not familiar with the Tascam DR-100mkII... how does it compare to the Zoom H4N?  Does it perform better with the NTG-2?

nedyken

Quote from: nedyken on December 16, 2012, 05:03:49 AM
Good to know about the NTG2 - Zoom H4N combo.  Do you personally used a Juicdedlink with your mic then?  Which model do you recommend?

Btw I'm not familiar with the Tascam DR-100mkII... how does it compare to the Zoom H4N?  Does it perform better with the NTG-2?
I think I answered my own question by reading this article:  http://nofilmschool.com/2012/04/audio-recorder-roundup-h4n-zoom-vs-tascam/

They weren't using the Rode, but the same princples apply... I listened to audio from all three tested recorders and they all sound about the same.  The key part of the article was this:

"The biggest difference between the three units was how high I had to set the input level to achieve similar recording levels. I consistently had to set the H4n higher than either of the other two recorders. In the outside test, at the same mic distance, the H4n's input level/record level was set at 83 (of 100), while the the DR-40 was at 70 (of 100), and the DR-100mkII was at a cool 4 (out of 10 scale). In the indoor test, I had to pretty much max out the H4n's input level, while the DR-40 was still in the 90 range, and the DR-100mkII was at a 5."

Good to know.