Canon 5d Mk2 , 6D 0r 7D.

Started by phunkyboy, December 15, 2012, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phunkyboy

I have a 550 D which I like a lot.Although the 550D  is a really good camera. I want to move on because I'm noticing the vast number of  (tourists) with entry level dslr's on auto with the kit lense.

I want to present myself in a  more professional look with a better camera.My apologies for sounding like a snob.

I want to upgrade my camera to either one of the above. I want the best possible camera for video quality and Stills as I do both.Also weatherproofing is ideal as the climate isn't favourable.

Preferably I want a full frame . The 5D mark 2 is the same price as 6D. I would just like to know which is better out of the two and is ML going to be available for 6D.

Thegirl in the camera shop said the  7D but is better for video because of the apc sensor but I dont know ,just wondering does  the crop sensor inhibit video shooting in any way ?.

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Cheers,

Datadogie

I would have thought full frame and the best you can afford.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

phunkyboy

Thanksvery much  for your reply. 40 views and only one reply, and that dissapoints me .People a forum is for talking ,helping and encouraging people. I'm sure if you run into difficulty you lurkers will be the first to post. :-(((.

scrax

Quote from: phunkyboy on December 15, 2012, 04:30:18 PM

Thegirl in the camera shop said the  7D but is better for video because of the apc sensor but I dont know ,just wondering does  the crop sensor inhibit video shooting in any way ?.

:D really? I don't think so, with a bigger sensor you will have more control on DOF and even if i don't do video seems important that for the "FILM look".

I haven't an idea about 6D vs 5DmkII never personally tried both, so I can't give you advice, but there is a topic where 6D quality is discussed, maybe you can have more info there...
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Malex

Hi, I am in the same position as you, I want to upgrade from my 550D to a full frame, I looked at many possiblity, i even made a spreadsheet with pros and cons for many cameras, from latest nikon to sony a99, new gH3, blackmagic, fs700, 5Dm3, 6D

All this time making a spreadsheet just to realize that I'm stuck with canon lenses, so no nikon or a99 for me, I don't want to bother with an adaptater either, so no FS700 or GH3 (both came out good in scoring in my spreadsheet but GH3 isn't a fullframe and not great at low light (if we compare it to a 6D/5Dm3) and the FS700 is just way to expensive so no slow motion for me)

So finally I want to stick with canon, and magic lantern, so I have to decide between the 6D and 5Dm3, (1D-X is too expensive also and Magic lantern might not come out on it anytime soon since so few people have it)
I don't include the 5Dm2 because it's doesn't match up on low light performance, and this is very important for me, I want to reduce as much as possible my use of noise reduction filter.

My biggest disappointement with the Canon is that we can't shoot at 1080p at 60fps! The Gh3 and a99 can!

I think I'll go with the 6D, I watched many reviews, and its quality is great and some reviews even show that 6D is better at low light than the 5Dm3, and the points that bother most people don't bother me :
- Not so good AF (i don't care I use it for video)
- slow photo fps: 4.5fps  (i don't care I use it for video)
- No headphone jack ( i use a H4n with a cable that allow me to record its good sound in the 550D and at the same time connect use headphone)
- Only one card slot (it's really not a big deal!!)
- moiree (well.. Too bad, but it can't be as bad as the 550D)
- smaller screen (kinda bad, but I have an external LCD)

I'll wait before bying it, I'm not on a hurry, I'm wishing Canon release a camera with autofocus video like the a99 and the Gh3, and the most important for me would be 1080p at 60fps (or more,we can dream...)

I wrote a lot about my opinions, I don't kow if that can help you, I hope it does.

phunkyboy

Quote from: Malex on December 16, 2012, 05:30:36 PM
Hi, I am in the same position as you, I want to upgrade from my 550D to a full frame, I looked at many possiblity, i even made a spreadsheet with pros and cons for many cameras, from latest nikon to sony a99, new gH3, blackmagic, fs700, 5Dm3, 6D

I wrote a lot about my opinions, I don't kow if that can help you, I hope it does.

Brilliant that was exactly what i was looking for :-) . Your an experienced fillm maker and u know ur needs I'm not and thats why I wanted to find out other people's opinion . I also need low light capability too and  I use the camera for stills but that isn't an issue.

Malex

Glad to know it was helpful, did you decide what you'll get next ?

phunkyboy

Quote from: Malex on December 19, 2012, 06:32:05 PM
Glad to know it was helpful, did you decide what you'll get next ?

I'd say a 6D now  cause the 5d mark 2 is old hat now really technology has moved on a lot since then . I also need an optimum low light setup because that's where I do the majority of my stuff.

albert-e

Phunkyboy, it really depends on where you want to go from where you are in the field of photography. Going to full-frame sensor does not make you a little less capable that those people who have and have used a full-frame sensor camera; having said that, going to a full-frame camera takes a bit of planning of capital too ($$ and lots of it). To really understand the economics, just go and find out how much are the lenses if you go to full-frame camera...maybe you'll think otherwise but if money is no object then go for it.

scrax

I know the problem with bboys circles, fast moving subjects and never enough light, good lens can help during focusing but a full frame can be a good help.
With the 600D using f4, 1/100 on a 24mm focus at 1,8m DOF is from 1,46m to 2,35m (center of the circle) in MF little to none adjustment are needed to follow the scene.
With a full frame to have the same DOF we can use f2,4
that is 1,6 step less, not bad considering that on a full frame usually we can have better noise performance at higher ISO too.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

phunkyboy

Thanks  Guys.

It is a more expensive option definitely and I'm probably better off staying on the crop sensor dslrs for the moment. Yup bboy photography is a tough pitch it's so fast and unpredictable but I really have the edge over people who have the equipment because I know exactly what the venues are going to be like,and the mindset of the dancer and understand the flow.I also have bboy feedback which will help me  tp get better shots.

Happy Christmas

Pocca

Hi phunkyboy!

I ordered a Canon 5D mk II todday myself. I was in allmost the same position as you since I have had a 550D and now wanted to upgrade.

I think you have to ask yourself how much you can afford and what your purpose with the upgrade are. I allready had 3 L-lenses and felt it was time for me to take the next step. The cameras (5D mkII, 5D, mkII and 6D and 7D are all different cameras (as you know).

7D have the same sensor as your camera. It better built and have better pps (pics per second, is that how you say it in english?) and better AF.
6D is FF with a way better sensor, better AF than your 550D, two cardslots, 21 mp?, way better ISO stats and wifi built in (and more things offcourse)
5DmkII is FF, better ISO, 21 mp
5DmkIII is FF with a much better sensor and processor, 22 p instead of your 18 mp, way better AF (tests says is VERY good)and more pps (6), better AF in filmmode, better ISO.

This is what I thought about (in short terms). I asked myself what was important and what I normally used the camera for. Normally I dont have use for extremly good AF and high burst rate (pps). Sure its fun too shoot skateboarding and mountainbiking friends and take famillyphotos of the kinds playing in the garden etc. But for me, 95% of the pics dont need a fast AF and high amoount off pps. Therefore the 7D was out of the race since the only advantage was high pps and fast AF over my 550D.

Then it was the 3 FF cameras left.

The main difference in image quality between the 2 5D versions is that JPEG pics direktlly from the camera is better in MKIII and MKIII is better in ISO 12800 and over that. The AF is way better in MKIII and it have pps of 6 instead of 3,9 for MKII. For me who dont have so much use for the fast burstrate and allways take pics in raw it was a easy choice. The price here now for a MKII is 12999 SEK and for a MKIII its 26000-27000 SEK. No way that I pay twice as much foir that small difference (small for me, for others it might be a huge one).

6D costs 17999 SEK (aprox) and I couldnt see how I could have use for the small difference in image quality or that WIFI feature to make me pay 5000 SEK extra for it.

Thats how I thought! Make a priority list for yourself containing what you shall be using your camera for the next years and then ask yourself what camera that have the best specifications for that. And mayby also how much you are willing to pay for it depending on how thick your wallet is. But if you have more money then you need, I guess you havent had to ask for our opinion here..;-)

Good luck!

Paul Abrahams

Canon 60D + lenses, BMCC. Music writer producer with a love for gadgets.

phunkyboy

Thanks Guys ,Nice responses .Nope I can't afford a mk3 thats way above my budget because this is a hobby not a paid project. L lenses are real expensive and to get the best of the FF dslr  will need to buy L lenses. Netherless the 550D is a fine enough camera I'm very happy with it. especially with the addition of magic lantern software.

deleted.account.01

i sugest buy Video Recorder not Camera what purpose is Stills...

vertigopix

Quote from: MzytengaM on January 21, 2013, 01:11:16 AM
i sugest buy Video Recorder not Camera what purpose is Stills...

And one of the purposes of ML is video with DSLR... :P

deleted.account.01

Quote from: vertigopix on January 21, 2013, 01:03:56 PM
And one of the purposes of ML is video with DSLR... :P

and one ofthe purpose of Video Recorders its Video Recording..i dont realy undertand  exitment around  Video Recorde in Camera what Main purpose its Still Shots

vertigopix

Quote from: MzytengaM on January 21, 2013, 02:25:04 PM
and one ofthe purpose of Video Recorders its Video Recording..i dont realy undertand  exitment around  Video Recorde in Camera what Main purpose its Still Shots

Sorry but this is one of the main purposes of Magic Lantern !!!   8)

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: MzytengaM on January 21, 2013, 02:25:04 PM

Who wants boring video cameras when you can get cinematic-looking video at an affordable price?  ;)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

deleted.account.01

Quote from: vertigopix on January 21, 2013, 02:38:04 PM
Sorry but this is one of the main purposes of Magic Lantern !!!   8)

i not sayng what puropse ML have only  your Canon

vertigopix

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on January 21, 2013, 02:52:11 PM
Who wants boring video cameras when you can get cinematic-looking video at an affordable price?  ;)

:)   ;)

phunkyboy

Well said Malcolm ,the footage even from 550D is awesome.

phunkyboy

Well said Malcolm ,the footage even from 550D is awesome.

coutts

proof (shot with eos m):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPQF64vWwo

Malcolm Debono

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!