600d vs 650d vs Nikon D5100

Started by ddmoore95, January 21, 2013, 07:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddmoore95

Hi,
I have been thinking for a while now about which digital camera to buy. It is my first dslr and i am interested in HDR photography as well as macro photography. I am not sure which camera to buy. I have narrowed it down to three models:

• Canon 650D
  • Canon 600D
  • Nikon D5100

I am wondering if anyone would be able to present me with a recommendation as well as reasons why?

Thankyou very much.

1%

600D - - Ready now, audio monitoring, crop mode, cheaper.
650D- faster transfer rates, port still being ported, more future proof as its digic V

Nikon I'm not sure on as I haven't used it.

ddmoore95

Thanks for the quick response. So do you reckon the 650D will be worth the extra cash? Will magic lantern be better utilized by its processor and possibly better things come out of it as a result of the processor?

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: ddmoore95 on January 21, 2013, 07:04:54 AM
Hi,
I have been thinking for a while now about which digital camera to buy. It is my first dslr and i am interested in HDR photography as well as macro photography. I am not sure which camera to buy. I have narrowed it down to three models:

• Canon 650D
  • Canon 600D
  • Nikon D5100

I am wondering if anyone would be able to present me with a recommendation as well as reasons why?

Thankyou very much.

Firstly, I wonder why you choose to put this question in the ML forum where questions on ML features are discussed.  Anyway, since you have asked this in ML forum, I should say you must say `GO..GO...' to Nikons because NIKONs don't have Magic Lantern.  So, you won't benefit from ML if you buy d5100.

Further, you may be a newbie for DSLR, but you wish to explore and develop your skills.  So, instead of considering `camera models', you must first consider `camera brands'; because you are growing into a SYSTEM: A system of lens.  Both CANONs and NIKONs offer a wide range of excellent lenses; CANON probably may span more.  So, you must first decide the brand.

Regarding image quality, all the cameras in the line-up are almost equal.  What distinguishes them is their features, menu systems, handling comfort (which differs from individual to individual).

A word about the 600d (T3i) video feature of 3x crop.  I understand that it is unique, in that, it isn't a simple crop of the image but something more invaluable.  Read this;

http://www.cineblah.com/post/142/why-the-3x-crop-mode-on-the-canon-600d-is-invaluable

You may get 600d for about 500 USD and with Magic Lantern loaded, it is undoubtedly a formidable multipurpose camera. 

ddmoore95

I think i will buy the 650D. If anyone thinks i am making a mistake, please let me know.

Malcolm Debono

I suggest checking out the differences between the 600D and 650D and decide whether the price difference between the 2 is worth while:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon-EOS-650D

Personally, I would get the 600D and invest the price difference in lenses :)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

ddmoore95

Just bought 650D twin lens kit for $700. Does a micro sd card + an adapter offer same performance as an Sd card?

1%

depends on the card. In my experience the adapters really suck and its hard getting the card to detect 100% of the time as it moves around.

Malcolm Debono

You'd be better off with cheap SD cards than microSD cards - recently tried a friend's Sandisk microSD and the read/write speeds were extremely slow. Sandisk class 6 (30mb/s) SDHC cards are quite cheap and never gave me any trouble (not even for video).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: ddmoore95 on January 22, 2013, 02:13:13 PM
Just bought 650D twin lens kit for $700. Does a micro sd card + an adapter offer same performance as an Sd card?

In the morning you ask to know whether your decision to buy 650d was a mistake; but, in the afternoon you already buy it...!  Well, I wish you good photography.  It is a good camera. 

But... as Malcom said... I too would have chosen 600d and utilized the difference of about 200 USD for lenses.  Moreover, as I said already, 600d has the wonderful feature of 3x movie crop (which is very very good; I have seen the clippings). 

Pl post some photos/videos. 

Travis

I found the 650d for less than the price of the 600d on Amazon so I picked on up. Now having both a t4i and t3i, I can honestly say I REALLY like the t4i a lot better (650d). The thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have ML on it  :'(
Hopefully that will be resolved soon  8)
Current Toys:
Canon 6d : 5d2 : T4i, T3i : 16-35mm 2.8f L : 50mm 1.4f : 85mm 1.8f : 70-200mm 2.8f IS L : Cinevate Atlas 10 : Manfrotto Fluid Heads/Tripods : 4ft Jib : Steadicam Merlin : etc...
Full time producer at a video production company in Minneapolis MN: http://www.providfilms.com