Mosaic Engineering Aliasing / Moire Filter: VAF-7D, VAF-TXi, VAF-60D

Started by apefos, December 13, 2012, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apefos

This filter is designed to clean aliasing and moire in 1080p canon dslr video.

I was wondering if it can clean the moire in 720p canon video because 720p is perfect for Magic Lantern HDR.

Does anyone own this filter to do a test in 720p moire?

Thanks!

tonybeccar

Rush

I'm sure if they pointed that it helps with moire in 1080p mode, it means that it will only help with 1080p mode. For D800 they have noted that it works both in 1080p and 720p
Greetings from Russia!

cthornhill

I just ordered a Mosaic Engineering filter for my 60D - I was going to do some tests, but mine were at 1280 x 1024 x 24fps. Did you need some other sets of data that I can do on my 60D? I can try to see what I can do. My primary hope was to resolve the nasty issues that come up from brick structures, but I have seen a lot of fabric issues too...I will reply if I can with some data if you let me know what is needed. - CT

ted ramasola

Res charts for 1280x720p and other resolution in the last part.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Zed3891

The VAF-TXi does not help with 720p footage, which is a shame, because the 720p aliasing is much worse than the 1080p aliasing.

I got a VAF-TXi for my Rebel T2i/550d and it causes err 20 every time I try to use it.
Err 20 usually indicates a problem with the mirror mechanism, and this filter does hold up the mirror, but most people are apparently not having this problem.

I also discovered that old, adapted camera lenses with no electronics in them don't cause the error, but as soon as the camera detects a lens
with an electronic contact on it, it throws the error.

I talked to Mosaic Engineering about it and they said that most T2i users are using it with no problems, but some have this same problem for no apparent reason and they're trying to figure out why.

I found one or two other people on this forum who are having the same problem.  Here is a link to a discussion I replied to with my observations:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7265.new#new