[PICTURE STYLE] Selective color

Started by 08impreza, December 13, 2012, 01:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08impreza

Is it possible to have a live selective color feature similar to what's available in the Nikon D5100? For either video or still photo?

nanomad

You can easily do it in post processing... I don't really see the point of it
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

08impreza

I understand it can be done in post but its also becoming a standard feature now (in the Nikon line up anyways)
Just a thought anyway.
Thanks

yonygg

I'm joining to 08impreza's feature request.

Nowadays it's a standard feature in almost every camera, not just Nikon's!...

It's true that it's very easy to do in post processing but it's also a very simple feature to add. 

It's much more time consuming to add it in post processing than having the pictures taken this way.

It would be very nice to add a "Filters" page to ML and have Selective Color be the first one.

cheers!

hjfilmspeed

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1398.0

Google brought this up.

I dont think this is a feature that ML should be focusing there energy on though. Much bigger fish to fry. Im sure you can find a ton of custom picture styles on the net now a days.

ItsMeLenny

The last thing we need is more people taking terrible photos only made worse with half the colours desaturated.

Canons picture style stuff is pretty closed up, I really doubt it's easily possible.
However. It can be easily done with canons picture style editor.

This topic is 1 year + old.
And I find it a bit odd that yonygg made an account just yesterday only to second this.

ItsMeLenny

After looking into pic styles and the registers, this actually might be possible.

jc

Far more useful, one thing that the c100 c300 etc cameras have is a log picture style ( in this case c-log) which gives a very very flat picture style, far flatter than can usually be achieved with the picture style editor capturing almost all the dynamic range of the sensor
Could the registers be tweaked to give a look just as flat ? This could be used to give some of the quality of ml raw ( which is amazing by the way!! ) but allow the long record times due to smaller file sizes of h264, and also cameras like the 600d etc.. To shoot full dynamic range at 1080 not a very cropped in raw!

Just a thought!!

engardeknave

Quoteselective color

Those will look good on your Wix photography site.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: jc on January 26, 2014, 01:05:12 AM
Far more useful, one thing that the c100 c300 etc cameras have is a log picture style ( in this case c-log) which gives a very very flat picture style, far flatter than can usually be achieved with the picture style editor capturing almost all the dynamic range of the sensor
Could the registers be tweaked to give a look just as flat ? This could be used to give some of the quality of ml raw ( which is amazing by the way!! ) but allow the long record times due to smaller file sizes of h264, and also cameras like the 600d etc.. To shoot full dynamic range at 1080 not a very cropped in raw!

Just a thought!!

Take a look at http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10038.msg96847#msg96847
It tells you which registers. One would have to play with them to find out.