How to Uninstall ML from 5D Mark II!?

Started by daniel burity, December 11, 2012, 06:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel burity

Hi!

I'm having a real hard time to delete ML files from my Mark II.

When I try to delete The ML files in the camera the ML formats the card and then writes the ML files back from memory. If I erase or format the card entirely using a PC when I put the card back into the camera the 5d won't turn on.

In the 5D has no Q button or low-level format. So how can I delete the ML files from my card!?

Thanks!

scrax

Start the camera with SET pressed and it should start without ML, then format card.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

nudibranch

What does exactly the "set" button pressed ?
disable the boot flag ?

scrax

Quote from: nudibranch on January 13, 2013, 10:46:55 AM
What does exactly the "set" button pressed ?
disable the boot flag ?
NO, It will not load ML for that session.
To remove the bootflag and understand better the boot process read this
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Mei Lewis

Quote from: scrax on January 13, 2013, 01:32:36 PM
NO, It will not load ML for that session.
To remove the bootflag and understand better the boot process read this

I'm having the same problem uninstalling magic lantern from my mark 3. I can't disable to bootflag. I read the page you linked to, but following the instructions doesn;t work because my camera never gets to the screen of grren text. This one:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/_media/success.png

Mikkel S.

Howdy,

I have the exact same problem on a 5DMK3. Don't get any green confirmation screen when running firmware upgrade. No option to remove ML in format menu. When I insert a formatted card without ML it displays the "Firmware upgrade program, update file cannot be found".

Any input on how to remove the boot-flag that forces it to boot from CF?

/Mikkel

--- edit ---

Did some self-helping and looked at the post just next to this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5594.0

I put the 1.1.3 firmware from Canon (5D300113.FIR) on a blank card and turned on the camera. It started a regular firmware update automatically and the Camera is back to factory default firmware.

Keep up the good work guys.

Sorry for the noise.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Mikkel S. on May 26, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

I put the 1.1.3 firmware from Canon (5D300113.FIR) on a blank card and turned on the camera. It started a regular firmware update automatically and the Camera is back to factory default firmware.

I think this is important and missing information so I have put it as Sticky!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Mei Lewis

Quote from: Mikkel S. on May 26, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

I tried this and it doesn't work for me. You don't say whether your 'blank' card had the bootflag enable on the card or not. I tried it with and without and neither helped.

With the bootflag and the 5D300113.FIR file on the card the camera seems to not power up when it's turned out - I think it#s trying to boot something that's not there.

With the bootflag not set on the card the camera just comes on as normal, no automatic firmware update. If I update it manually, going from 1.1.3->1.1.3 (the same version) it makes no change to the bootflag of the camera.

Are you sure you really got rid of ML from your camera?

Mikkel S.

Quote from: Mei Lewis on May 26, 2013, 11:28:41 PM
I tried this and it doesn't work for me. You don't say whether your 'blank' card had the bootflag enable on the card or not. I tried it with and without and neither helped.
-- cut --
Are you sure you really got rid of ML from your camera?

Actually today I'm less sure than I was yesterday.

I had no boot flag set on the CF-card.

When I boot the camera with a blank CF-card it boots into regular Canon firmware. If I place ML on a CF-card and enable the flags with EOScard.exe it boots ML. So I guess you're right that the camera still tries to boot from CF-card. The camera is not completely rid of ML changes.

It would be nice if there was a menu item in ML to en/dis-able the autoboot feature. Especially since both the 5DMK2 and 5DMK3 apparently doesn't always show the green confirmation screen.

Mei Lewis

... so there is no way to uninstall it? I think if everyone knew this there'd be a lot less people using Magic Lantern.

painya

Why won't formatting the card on a computer work?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

anthonynohtna

Walter Schulz

theEmoboy

Quote from: daniel burity on December 11, 2012, 06:17:33 PM
Hi!

I'm having a real hard time to delete ML files from my Mark II.

When I try to delete The ML files in the camera the ML formats the card and then writes the ML files back from memory. If I erase or format the card entirely using a PC when I put the card back into the camera the 5d won't turn on.

In the 5D has no Q button or low-level format. So how can I delete the ML files from my card!?

Thanks!
Hi there,
If I am not mistaken I believe you didn't use a high level format!
I only have access to a 1100d since I am broke but if you bring up the format menu on a 1100d you will be able to press the av button to switch between low level and higher level format. I believe a high level format will erase everything from the card and only bring the files from the canon operating system back.

Best of luck!
~Martin

Walter Schulz

Please take a look at the date of the post you have answered ...

theEmoboy