working-around 600D <-> 550D differences / limitations

Started by avi, December 10, 2012, 04:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi

Hi i recently asked a question about disabling LV exposure simulation on 600D for external flash usage

( http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3806.0 )

as far as i understand this feature is non-working / blocked on the 600D, but works on the 550D.

im trying to figure out what exactly causes this to happen in the firmware itself, i started by dumping the 600D firmware, and for now only defined the functions i found on stubs.S (using an .idc file i generated) obviously this is next to nothing compared to the 550D .idc floating around which has much more info to work with..

i would appreciate help in any of the following ways that could get me further into a solution :

* a 550D rom dump / a way to extract the 550D rom from the cannon update .fir ( didnt manage to find any working way yet.. )
* an .idc file for the 600D rom dump as 'complete' as the 550D one..
* hints/ i deas on how to locate what the firmware sets when the internal flash is on (what turns off the LV exposure simulation), where to look at
* an example of modifying (in-memory) the internal firmware code from within ML code

i know im kind of a 'noob' here.. but im hoping if i learn enough i could eventually give something back.. its a steep curve but we all start somewhere i guess :)

any help would be greatly appreciated !  ;D

scrax

That feat was found and written by A1ex with his 550D (or 60D), but he has not a 600D so when it was added in unified we saw that it doesn't work and so it was removed for the 600D.
You are right, maybe could be fixed, and it will be great.
Try to send a pm to Alex if can't find any reply, maybe he just missed that topic.

EDIT: I've just found that maybe from here you can solve your problem on how to get the dump from canon updates (but I've the bad feeling that those thing are only for older cameras not Dryos)
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

avi

woohoo g3gg0 ! if i understand correctly you just gave me an .idc file for the 600D rom ? :)

thanks a bunch  8)

and yea i just sent a pm to a1ex.. i hope he can help me out  :)

1%

Expo sim switches a property. It does exist on 600D.  Not sure why it doesn't work.

florinfl

Hi,
I found out that 550D has full res silent pictures in nightly builds. Is there a chance for it in 600d? Thanks