New features and documentations

Started by scrax, December 09, 2012, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

We should start to document new features added to nightly build so to have an idea about what needs to be added to the documentations.
Is there a way to list all menu items that actually are missing the contextual menu?
I'm doing it by hand so far, but I'm using 2.3 help files, so i'm not sure if something is updated in the repo.

Writing doc is something that all users can do and here you can find what is new and needs to be completed, rewritten or updated and so on.
Those are neW things added since 2.3 that are missing documentations:

- Audio
  - Override Settings
  - Mic Boost
  - Digital Gain
  - Beep and Test tone
  - Sound recorder
- Expo
  - ML Auto ISO
  - Expo.Lock
  - Expo.Presets
- Movie
  - Stop recording
  - Gradual Expo.
  - FPS Ramping
- Shoot
  - AdvBraketing
  - TimelapseRamping
- Focus
  - Stack Focus
  - Focus step settings
  - Focus patterns (new submenu for selecting them)
- Display
  - LV brightness
  - (Display shake)
  - Anamorphic
  - Advanced settings (and submenu items too)
- Prefs
  - Image review (it's there but needs more detailed info)
  - Focus box settings
  - Warning for bad settings
- Debug
  - Benchmarks
  - Show CPU usage
  - Image buffers
  - Snap simulation

Anybody who want's to help ML project fell free to help in expanding the help pages, I'm making a rough scheme but there is the need of someone that is good in writing, so please contribute.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

AUDIO (some 600D only)
  - Override Settings
This option enables controls of audio chip on 600D even if audio is disabled in canons menu.
  - Mic Boost
From that entry is possible to set input mic boost (analog) on 600D,
  - Digital Gain
Digital gain control (right and left channel) and Auto Gain Control switch
  - Beep and Test tone
In Beep and Test Tones submenu there are some settings for changing beep tone.
  - Enable beeps: For enabling tone override.
  - Beep volumes is for setting volumes of beep tone.
  - Tone Waveform is for changing waveform (square, sine, white noise).
  - Tone Frequency is for setting the frequency of the beep tone.
  - Play test tone: will play a long tone with the selected settings
  - Test beep sound: will play a shot beep
  - Sound recorder
In Sound recorder submenu is possible to record and play audio files
  - Record new audio files will start/stop recording an audio file when SET is pressed;
  - File name: will show the name of current audiofile selected;
  - Playback selected file will work when SET is pressed;
  - Delete selected file same as before;
  - Voice Tag will let you record an audio file just after tacking a pic during image review (for audio memo)

from here
Audio Menu
600D - Movie mode

Override Audio Settings - in-camera text "Override Audio Settings by ML"
Q= opens menu
menu options
ON, OFF

SET= Toggle ON/OFF
ON = green circle icon
OFF = no icon
---------------------------------------
Analog Gain in-camera text "Gain applied to both inputs in analog domain" - Blue square icon with vertical indicator of selected menu item
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
0 db, +6db, +15db, +24db, +33db, +35db
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mic Boost in-camera text "Analog Mic Boost" - Blue square icon with vertical indicator of selected menu item.
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
0 db, +5db, +10db, +15db, +20db, +25db, +30db

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Gain in-camera text "Digital Volume and R-L gain"
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
Record Effect Mode in camera text "Choose Mode: Notch,EQ,Notch/EQ,Enhance [12], Loudness" Blue square with vert indicator
Notch Filter
Notch EQ
Enhnc REC
Enhnc RECPLAY
Loud
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

EXPO
  - ML Auto ISO
This option works only in Av/Tv modes and permits with a submenu to select preferred Av or Tv values. It permits to bypass canon limits when using a flash. more info
  - Expo.Lock
This option will keep expo constant if you change Av/Tv/ISO more info
  - Expo.Presets
You can chose to use SET or INFO button to toggle from the current expo setting to another set and back
- Expo.Sim
Toggle Canon Exposure Simulation.

scrax

MOVIE
  - Stop recording
It will stop record after a specific amount of time.
  - Gradual Expo.
Gradual exposure adjusts whatever value you're changing smoothly, including ISO and aperture. Try using it with exposure preset (reverting to saved exposure settings with the press of a button) and you'll see it in action (from Malcolm)
  - FPS Ramping
Changes FPS during recording

scrax

SHOT
  - Adv Bracketing
From there you can set advanced bracketing features:
Exposure bracketing
Flash bracketing
Aperture bracketing more info

scrax

FOCUS
  - Stack Focus
   Stack focus will take focus bracketed pics or staks. Lens need to be set to AF before starting it.
   Focus stacks share start and end points with rack focus.
   Press Q to open submenu and set bracketed focus and more.
    - Steps/Pic: will set the numbers of focus step (steps can be set in the next menu entry) between each shot (depending on DOF and lens)
    - Trigger mode: to start focus stack/bracket by pressing PLAY or Shutter (play will avoid to engage autofocus)
    You can set a predefined number of pic to take before and after current focus point that will be used for bracketed focus
    - Bracket A : number of pics usually in front of focus point (but lens related, sometimes is behind)
    - Bracket B :  number of pics usually behind of focus point (but lens related, sometimes is in front)
    - Bracket focus: chose the direction of focus bracketing (from far to near or reversed or bracket disabled)

- Focus step settings
  Focus step can be optimized for quick movement of follow focus, rack and so on or slower but more precise controll.
  - Step size: size of the step for focus movement
  - Step delay: delay between focus command (increase it if focus control miss some steps)
  - Step wait: this also increase precision of focus control.

In the new Focus Patterns submenu you will find an image with current selected pattern highlighted. Now focus patterns are divided into three groups. Centre Horizontal  and Vertical.
  Just select an entry and change the preset with left-right arrows
  Shortcut keys: will enable 2.3 method for selecting them without opening ML menu.

scrax

DISPLAY
  - LV brightness
  Increase Lv only brightness (recording unaffected)

- Anamorphic
  Stretches LV vertically for anamorphic lenses, ratio could be set in submenu

scrax

PREFS
  - Image review (it's there but needs more detailed info)

- Focus box settings
    To set focus box speed, snap points, and hide the white rectangle

- Warning for bad settings
    Camera will blink lad and beep according to the warning enabled here.
    when not mode M/Tv/Av/P, or when ALO not off, size not RAW, more will come.

scrax

DEBUG
  - Benchmarks
    First test will check your card speed, to see which one is the faster ;)
    Second test will check focus peaking speed.
  - Show CPU usage
    When enabled ML will display realtime CPU usage
  - Image buffers
    Size of image buffers in use
  - Snap simulation
    When enabled camera will beep instead of tacking a real pic (for testing functions without affecting shutter release).

kihlbahkt

I will be putting today's nightly build thru some testing over the next several days and provide my input for documentation purposes.

EDIT:
I've been sick last couple of weeks so I have had time for only working and being sick. I'll try to get some feedback soon.
600D x2

scrax

Quote from: kihlbahkt on January 03, 2013, 01:05:19 AM
I will be putting today's nightly build thru some testing over the next several days and provide my input for documentation purposes.
yeah, great, i was starting to fell alone ;)
Post what you found and i'll move then in the first posts

vertigopix

Hello Scrax !

I want to help but can you tell me more precisely what can i do ?

scrax

Try the new feat, check my brief description here and post what you fell needs to be added/removed in future 2.4 documentation

vertigopix

Ok, fine !
I will try to do something this week-end...

vertigopix

In audio, wind filter :

I understand that this setting surpasses the wind filter setting in Canon menu. (right ?)
So i think this need a little more description / informations...

deleted.account.01

Quote from: vertigopix on January 21, 2013, 12:59:50 PM
In audio, wind filter :

I understand that this setting surpasses the wind filter setting in Canon menu. (right ?)

for what is wind filter ? u heard in old TV interview where they record on street  and where wind blowing into mic ? and u heard more wind blows than talking ? make test...turn on your vacuum cleaner and connect  pipe in way for blowing  air out...direct blowin air on mic.. and i give u 80%  u  will not heard vacuum cleaner sound on video only  wind blow. later reapet it wit Wind Filter ON

vertigopix

You must read my post carefully... This is not a question...

scrax

Quote from: vertigopix on January 21, 2013, 12:59:50 PM
In audio, wind filter :

On 600D from ML you can set DC filter on/off (canon keep it on, and I think is better to keep it on also with ML), High-Pass filter On/Off plus freq. and AGC On/Off.
In canon menu you can set high-pass filter (called wind filter) On/Off and AGC so there aren't a lot of difference, but you are correct if you have wind filter on in canon menu and disabled in ML it will be disabled when audio override is on in ML.
this for 600D, I have no idea of how it is on other camera like 550D, 60D and so on...

kihlbahkt

I will be reviewing all of the menus, starting with AUDIO and will document each menu so that that can be reviewed for correctness and accuracy. Also I already know that there are option within ML that I dont understand fully enough to speak with authority and will need assistance from those who do know why a particular option should be chosen. My initial effort is not to explain how each option works but to confirm that the options, in-camera text, icons and ui functionality are correct. Basically doing UI testing. I will be updating this daily so if it looks incomplete, you know why.

v2.3.NEXT.2013Mar12.600D102

Audio Menu
600D - Movie mode

Override Audio Settings - in-camera text "Override Audio Settings by ML"
Q= opens menu
menu options
ON, OFF

SET= Toggle ON/OFF
ON = green circle icon
OFF = no icon
---------------------------------------
Analog Gain in-camera text "Gain applied to both inputs in analog domain" - Blue square icon with vertical indicator of selected menu item
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
0 db, +6db, +15db, +24db, +33db, +35db
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mic Boost in-camera text "Analog Mic Boost" - Blue square icon with vertical indicator of selected menu item.
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
0 db, +5db, +10db, +15db, +20db, +25db, +30db

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Gain in-camera text "Digital Volume and R-L gain"
Q,SET = opens menu
Menu options
Record Effect Mode in camera text "Choose Mode: Notch,EQ,Notch/EQ,Enhance [12], Loudness" Blue square with vert indicator
Notch Filter
Notch EQ
Enhnc REC
Enhnc RECPLAY
Loud
600D x2

1%

Nighties have recording with wav/canon audio off screwed up and some menu glitches like you've seen.

kennethvarmdoe

Quote from: scrax on December 10, 2012, 06:07:17 AM
FOCUS
  - Stack Focus
   Stack focus will take focus bracketed pics or staks. Lens need to be set to AF before starting it.
   Focus stacks share start and end points with rack focus.
   Press Q to open submenu and set bracketed focus and more.
    - Steps/Pic: will set the numbers of focus step (steps can be set in the next menu entry) between each shot (depending on DOF and lens)
    - Trigger mode: to start focus stack/bracket by pressing PLAY or Shutter (play will avoid to engage autofocus)
    You can set a predefined number of pic to take before and after current focus point that will be used for bracketed focus
    - Bracket A : number of pics usually in front of focus point (but lens related, sometimes is behind)
    - Bracket B :  number of pics usually behind of focus point (but lens related, sometimes is in front)
    - Bracket focus: chose the direction of focus bracketing (from far to near or reversed or bracket disabled)

- Focus step settings
  Focus step can be optimized for quick movement of follow focus, rack and so on or slower but more precise controll.
  - Step size: size of the step for focus movement
  - Step delay: delay between focus command (increase it if focus control miss some steps)
  - Step wait: this also increase precision of focus control.

In the new Focus Patterns submenu you will find an image with current selected pattern highlighted. Now focus patterns are divided into three groups. Centre Horizontal  and Vertical.
  Just select an entry and change the preset with left-right arrows
  Shortcut keys: will enable 2.3 method for selecting them without opening ML menu.
What is the FPS limit with either stack or rack focus.It seems to be much slower than the normal fps of the camera?

Paz

Snap simulation
    When enabled camera will beep instead of tacking a real pic (for testing functions without affecting shutter release).

Does this mean that a shot is taken but not saved to the card? Does it still go through the normal triggers? I tested this with my WFT-E7. Shot is taken, file is transfered but the photo is still saved to the SDCARD. The behaviour I was hoping for here is that the photo isnt saved anywhere which is not what happened.

Can someone please explain the intention of this feature?

Thank you,
p.