Canon 5D Classic - Installation Question

Started by photographist, December 09, 2012, 06:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photographist

Good day,

I've followed the instructions to start the install process for the first installation with a Canon 5D classic.  Have updated the firmware with canon's latest from their US Website.

I start the ML install using the Firmware update process of the 5D.  My issue is that no screen apears in the LCD and the Blue 'printer' LED to the above left of the LED begins to blink in a regular pattern.  Pattern is roughly 2-3 seconds off then 2-3 seconds on, repeat. 

After 10 minutes, I shot down the camera, but blue blink continued.  I removed the battery and that stoped the process.  No harm to 5D is apparent.

What am I doing wrong here?  Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time!

Jeffrey
www.jvdkphoto.com

Francis

The blinking LED indicates that the bootflag is not enabled, meaning ML will not start when you start the camera. Run the firmware updater again, with the ML .fir file, and you should see the blue LED light and stay on. Then immediately turn the power switch to Off, and pull the battery. Replace the battery and you should be good to go.

photographist

Good evening, Francis ...

Thank you for your quick response.  The root directory is set up as:

5dc.11.card_bootable.fir
5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir
autoexec.bin

Tried again, but with same result.

Jeffrey

Francis

Maybe Coutts can chime in, as I do not have a 5DC, but I would try the update process with 1 .fir on the card at a time. Probably bootable first, then install. I would not run the Canon .fir install again for sure.

Also make sure you have the ML folder in the root of the card as well. If it is not included with the 5DC download, then use the folder from the standard v2.3 release.

photographist

Good morning, all ...

Francis, I tried removing the ML_install. fir file but no joy.  I also removed the DCM folder that the 5Dc places on the card when formatting it.  I manually moved the card_bootable.fir back on to the card and rec'd a different result.  Here's what happened:
1. Powered Up
2. Ran firmware option from menu
3. Both the red and blue LED lights flashed on twice
4. Loading came on the LCD screen, then vanished again (same as before).
5. The blue 'print' LED remained lit
6.  I let sit for 4 minutes, then killed the power and removed the battery.

Results:
1. When I apply power or turn on the body, both the red and blue LEDs flash twice.
2. When I look at the current firmware version, it reads 1-1-1 ML

Any thoughts so far?  Am I correct in assuming the two flashes of the red and blue LEDs mean that the boot flag is set?

Thank you!

jvdk

a1ex

Francis

Now press the trashcan to see all the ML goodness.

photographist

Heaven... I'm in Heaven  (too bad there isn't a singing emoticon!).

Thank you!