[ALREADY DONE] Forcing "Flash Mode" / Faking "compatible" 3rd party flash

Started by avi, December 08, 2012, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi

The point of this is basically being able to shut down exposure simulation on the 600D.. and maybe even making flash work with 3rd party flashes (YN560) in LV mode.

is it possible to "trick" the camera into thinking a "cannon" flash is attached?.. or perhaps into thinking the internal flash is on ? 

a1ex

avi

hi alex :)
correct me if im wrong but wasnt turning off exposure simulation on the 600D patched out march this year ? (not-working-on-600D)

and about 3rd party flash, i know about the option that basically turns off LV and then releases the shutter.. but that is far from optimal and is really slow..

my aim was more about overriding the cannon "detection" mechanism so it would think its a CANNON flash and allow access to the 3rd party flash option menu..

a1ex

ExpSim never worked, and for flash I don't know other method; if you know, feel free to submit a patch or tell us how.

avi

well, i am a developer myself but this would be the first time i take a shot with this sort of project :)

so im thinking.. for starters,  find out where the original firmware tests the flash unit for compatibility and patch that out.
my question is, do you think that is a viable solution? technically possible ? can ML patch the original firmware code in-memory?
i dont mind going thru the R&D myself.. sounds fun, would be nice if i can get some tips on where to start (is there a pre-disassembled & analyzed  600D 1.02 firmware somewhere? ) and where i can find some code that patches original firmware sections if it has been done yet ?

thanks for taking the time to reply alex :)

a1ex

Here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0

Also look for cache hacks.

You can (and should) get the firmware code from your own camera, we can't give it to you, see FAQ.

Francis

Is it only the 600D that doesn't fire non-Canon flashes in liveview? Works fine with both my 5d2 and 550d without having to enable the ML workaround. It has worked with multiple different flashes, including a yn560 as well as 2 different 1-pin radio triggers.

avi

Francis, no idea... guess its a new cannon "feature"

alex is there any .idc file available for the 600D firmware somewhere? i can only find a 550D one..
or maybe a way to generate one myself from stub.S ?

avi

also if anyone can "donate" me 550D firmware maybe i think i might be able to find out what exactly happens differently with that property between the models..

scrax

Quote from: avi on December 09, 2012, 03:41:21 PM
also if anyone can "donate" me 550D firmware maybe i think i might be able to find out what exactly happens differently with that property between the models..
I think you can get any camera firmware from canon europe if they released an update for that camera
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

avi

Quote from: scrax on December 09, 2012, 05:01:26 PM
I think you can get any camera firmware from canon europe if they released an update for that camera

so now i just need to figure out how to decrypt/extract the rom from the .fir update? ;)