[Reparied/HW Defect] 550D and Magic Lantern Startup problem

Started by anvancy, December 07, 2012, 02:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anvancy

Hi all,

First of all let me state that I had been using ML 2.3 on my 550D with firmware 1.0.9 for a couple of months without any hiccups whatsoever.

Things went off track day before yesterday.Let me a give a track report.

1.As usual,before going for a shoot, charged batteries.Put one in camera.Card with ML already in camera.Turn it on,nothing.Remove battery insert again,nothing.
2.At first I thought my camera hardware has gone bonkers.But after coming to ML troubleshooting section,the case 2 seemed more applicable.

So if I follow the remove battery and card,then only battery,check camera start,then insert non ML card,this entire process makes the camera usable.The moment I insert the SD card with ML, we are back at square one.Again I have to remove battery and let it sit before it resets itself.I had got a chance to make the ML card work.so I removed ML through camera did a low level format after it,and reinstalled ML.But the same problem persists.

As of now I am using a non ML SD card and the camera is functioning properly for hours at a stretch.

After months of usage with ML, what could have suddenly gone wrong?

Any help?

Thanks

Anvancy

a1ex

Format the card (again), copy ML files, make sure autoexec.bin is on the root dir, and make sure you take the battery out after each failed startup.

Not sure what else can be, but from your description you already did the right thing...

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

anvancy

Quote from: scrax on December 08, 2012, 01:27:09 AM
Tried with different cards?

Well I have two.one was dedicated to ML and one non ML.

I had a single chance to reformat of the ML card to remove ML and reinstall it.

Now whenever I put the ML card in the camera,it shuts down.So I have to again go through the drain and reset method. has the card itself gone corrupt?

Anvancy

Malcolm Debono

How did you remove ML from the card? If you just deleted the ML files, your card still has the boot flag enabled so it will give you problems. The best way is to format the card from the camera before trying installing ML again.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

anvancy

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on December 08, 2012, 08:48:12 AM
How did you remove ML from the card? If you just deleted the ML files, your card still has the boot flag enabled so it will give you problems. The best way is to format the card from the camera before trying installing ML again.

Ill write the steps when I reinstalled ML.

1.Put the ML card in camera.
2.went in format and select format card and remove ML.
3.Did a low format after removal of ML.
4.Put card in card reader.
5.Put ML in root directory.
6.Insert card again.Installed ML.success screen.

Let me note that ML did ran for 5-10mins before the camera shut off giving me ER01.After that it did not turn on.

So right now,whenever I put the ML card in the camera,it just does not turn on.so removal of ML from the card via camera seems like a stalled idea.

Anvancy

Malcolm Debono

Your steps are correct. Hopefully one of the developers will be able to give you more suggestions, especially since you encountered the error (ERR01).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

a1ex

Isn't ERR01 Lens error?

Does ML work with the other card?

anvancy

Quote from: a1ex on December 08, 2012, 04:34:59 PM
Isn't ERR01 Lens error?

Does ML work with the other card?

It is yes.

Now the situation is like this.my current 16GB is dedicated to ML and i have a spare 8GB which I am currently using.this does not have ML.

If it was the camera firmware then the camera would not have started even via the 8GB card.
I have used the camera with 3 lenses in total after my ERR01 and had no problems. So the error is ruled out.

Till the time I get 2 more 16gb cards,I will wait.I will have to make one card as a test subject for ML to function properly.my current one is gone kaput it seems,since I just cannot remove ML via camera.

Update:

Right now I just turned on the camera via the non ML card and it did not turn on.hmm.now its getting complicated.

Update 2:

Just removed battery and card.reinserted again.camera started up.will keep a check on it.

Update 3:

Now again the camera has started to conk off even via non ML card.doing the remove battery,card and reinsert method again.Time to visit the service center?

Anvancy

anvancy

Update 4:

After a long drain reset,I reinserted the battery and card and now the camera started.I did a re-install of my firmware 1.0.9 to the camera.Next luckily the camera detected my 16GB card.So now i have removed ML from the card,did a low level format after removing it.But the ML folder still remains in the card when I insert it in the card reader.there is nothing else.just the ML folder.Should I remove it via the card reader?

Update 5:

Even after doing the above,the camera is still conking off. Just cannot figure out the problem.

In any case,is there a chance that the function of dont click me in the debug section might be the issue to this whole problem?

Anvancy

scrax

Quote from: anvancy on December 09, 2012, 11:23:26 AM

In any case,is there a chance that the function of dont click me in the debug section might be the issue to this whole problem?

Anvancy

Oh noooo, Have you clicked it???  ;D  <- i'm joking, it's doing nothing in official release, is used for testing function when developing

I'll try to remove the bootflag and use the camera to format your two card, then use the camera without ML to be sure you don't have those promblem. When you will have more card try ML with the 8GB one.

To remove the bootflag you have to update firmware with the ML card so to see the green text and then turn the mode dial, when bootflag is disabled text will be white.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

anvancy

Quote from: scrax on December 09, 2012, 03:08:25 PM
Oh noooo, Have you clicked it???  ;D  <- i'm joking, it's doing nothing in official release, is used for testing function when developing

I'll try to remove the bootflag and use the camera to format your two card, then use the camera without ML to be sure you don't have those promblem. When you will have more card try ML with the 8GB one.

To remove the bootflag you have to update firmware with the ML card so to see the green text and then turn the mode dial, when bootflag is disabled text will be white.

Yes.suddenly my screen started flashing and showing colors.I was like oops. :P

I thought the same.So I downloaded ML again to be sure I am using the latest one.loaded in my original ML card.when the camera was reset, I put the ML card, re-installed ML.Tried for 5mins.it shut down.

Again same procedure but this time I did disable the bootflag,did a low format for the 16GB card.now my card does not show ML and my bootflag is disabled.I think I am back on stock now.

I have kept the camera on a 2 week Reset bed since I have now travelled back to my office place. I will get back to the forum after a week or two.But till the time, we just cannot figure out why the camera is acting this weird.

While chatting with my friend,his 40D faced a similar problem and he was telling me,his auto shut off function was acting weird.He had to remove the battery to reset it.

Anvancy

anvancy

I was just wondering in all this chaos, ML did install correctly without hi-cups and ran smooth before the shutdown process.

This sidelines ML as being a primary suspect in the issue.

Anybody know if their auto off conked down?How does the auto-off feature function?If I update the firmware the function should reset by itself correct?

Anvancy

nanomad

Quote from: anvancy on December 14, 2012, 08:02:11 AM
I was just wondering in all this chaos, ML did install correctly without hi-cups and ran smooth before the shutdown process.

This sidelines ML as being a primary suspect in the issue.

Anybody know if their auto off conked down?How does the auto-off feature function?If I update the firmware the function should reset by itself correct?

Anvancy
The firmware update procedure and ml installer disable all power saving functions before running
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

anvancy

Quote from: nanomad on December 14, 2012, 08:38:00 AM
The firmware update procedure and ml installer disable all power saving functions before running

So that rules out the auto off feature behind this mess?

contact point between spring and battery?

Anvancy

nanomad

Quote from: anvancy on December 14, 2012, 11:38:34 AM
So that rules out the auto off feature behind this mess?

contact point between spring and battery?

Anvancy
Pretty much.. Yes that's one possible cause
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

anvancy

Hmm.It seems I just cannot pinpoint a cause to my problem.

@Alex: suppose if ML was installed while the mode was not on M,(either AV TV or so) what damage can be done?

I was going through this post,and this is vaguely related to my problem.But there his camera was not turning ON whatever the case.mine does turn on via the battery reset method.Ripping my hair now. :P

Anvancy

nanomad

Quote from: anvancy on December 14, 2012, 11:58:55 AM
@Alex: suppose if ML was installed while the mode was not on M,(either AV TV or so) what damage can be done?

We don't know, it's more like  a suggestion than anything else (I probably never bothered installing ML in M mode on my 1100D, I did that on the 650D though)

anvancy

nanomad/alex/scrax:

Now that my camera is sitting on bed rest for more than a week,what I wanted to ask is whether I should use Eoscard for re-installation of ML?

Also if the same ML card was used in my sister's 1000D can it cause some problem?Cause it was used.2 times before and no problems.the third time it was used this problem cropped up.

Anvancy

scrax

Quote from: anvancy on December 18, 2012, 03:17:19 PM
nanomad/alex/scrax:

Now that my camera is sitting on bed rest for more than a week,what I wanted to ask is whether I should use Eoscard for re-installation of ML?

Also if the same ML card was used in my sister's 1000D can it cause some problem?Cause it was used.2 times before and no problems.the third time it was used this problem cropped up.

Anvancy

Have you used the camera without ML for a while? So to be sure that the problem isn't still there?

anvancy

Quote from: scrax on December 18, 2012, 03:28:15 PM
Have you used the camera without ML for a while? So to be sure that the problem isn't still there?

No I have to yet access my camera.Just going through various threads trying to find the problem and I stumbled upon a thread here where the camera became alive after usage of EosCard.

Anvancy

scrax

Quote from: anvancy on December 19, 2012, 10:27:47 AM
No I have to yet access my camera.Just going through various threads trying to find the problem and I stumbled upon a thread here where the camera became alive after usage of EosCard.

Anvancy

For what you posted you did the correct procedure for installing ML so i doubt EosCard will solve your problem. You had to be sure that without ML the problem isn't there.

So if in you, i'll reset camera settings and C.Fn., and then use the camera normally for a week or two. If no problems at all in that period I'll reinstall ML, but if the problem is there in the no ML period then bring it to service.

anvancy

Quote from: scrax on December 19, 2012, 04:26:42 PM
For what you posted you did the correct procedure for installing ML so i doubt EosCard will solve your problem. You had to be sure that without ML the problem isn't there.

So if in you, i'll reset camera settings and C.Fn., and then use the camera normally for a week or two. If no problems at all in that period I'll reinstall ML, but if the problem is there in the no ML period then bring it to service.

Thanks scrax.

Well the update is that camera has started to work normal atleast for now after a two week bedrest. I bought a brand new 16GB card and put it in.Multiple ON OFF auto off features everything working as normal.Ill keep a watch for any abnormal behaviour.

Anvancy

anvancy

Well the problem is back.

New card and the problem persists.

Went down to 1.0.8 and the problem persists.

Time to visit the service center.

Though what I marked was, when the camera is reset, Quick successions of ON-OFF work to a point. the moment you keep the camera idle at OFF for a certain period of time and then again turn it ON it does not.Hmm.weird.

Anvancy

anvancy

It seems the camera is starting to self-heal.

After I installed 1.0.8, I reinstalled 1.0.9.At first the camera died within a day, but after a battery reset the camera was functional for 2 days.Again after battery reset it ran for many days under normal usage and then died. Right now the camera is on a 5 month rest since I have moved to my work place area.

Just wanted to update the thread. Also can it be shifted to Camera Emergency department?I dont think my problem now is associated with a ML bug.

Also can somebody tell me how many pins are there inside the battery compartment?i.e. besides the spring on which the battery makes contact.

Anvancy