GH2/GH3?

Started by Pumpkinwaffle, December 03, 2012, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkinwaffle

Hey guys,

Upon doing some research with the two new players in the full frame world, I came upon the GH3. Now fair enough this is a completely different league. But then again D600 and 6D are two completely different cameras if you ask me. Seeing that big hit of the GH2 (although I completely missed it), people (fanboys?) ranting about sharper image and the 2nd handness being a better option (if there's no shutter the camera technically has a higher lifespan right?). I'm left clueless.

Anyone handled a smaller sensor before (like the GH2)? Many say it's sharper with no aliasing or moire issues but there's something bugging me about a 2x crop and 16MP. Maybe the megapixel marketing war had an influence on my judgement.

Realistically if the stills are equal, the video as good as it's said to be (although I find the colours a bit harsh) and the sensor size not a problem. The absence of shutter could be a great pro (silent, no shutter life, smaller body..)

Information is scarce and it is a  wide topic. So I figured I'd bring the question up here, see what your thoughts are ;)
talking video AND stills as both should be considered in a purchase.
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

1%

I think GH2 is 720P uprezzed with the hacks. Video is decent from everything I've seen. Down side is its worse for stills and the lenses are going to be all manual unless you only buy compatible ones. I don't know about having this as your only camera, especially if you do photography and not just video.

GH3 looks a bit better but not sure if there are hacks yet. Has 1080p60 video, unlike canon. Also some people are saying it DOES have moire and aliasing artefacts.

dude

I had the gh2 in my hands, because we wanted to do a comercial. After 3 Mins we decided to go on with a ex1.
It s kinda plastic, like a toy. I hate all the diskussions abouth gh2 being so much better for video than canon etc.
There is one thing everybody forgets about, saying the gh2/3 are so special- it s not "full frame".
and even if the picture quality is better than a 5d, the full frame pictures always look different, because the light falls on the chip in a different way.
I am going to check the gh3 tomorrow and compare it to the mkIII