Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas_W

To temporarily revert back to "pure-Canon" turn the camera off. Hold down the 'SET' button then switch to On. You should see "Magic Off" printed to the screen.

To permanently revert to Canon stock firmware I think you can do that by formatting the card in-camera and there should be an option to disable 'Keep ML'.

@StreetShotz I think running the bootfix firmware updater allows you to remove the bootflag, which would also permanently disable ML as well.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

nanomad

Quote from: StreetShotz on May 02, 2013, 04:36:27 AM
From the reading I have done you can revert back to original "Canon" stuff simply by running the Bootfix file...I may be mistaken, but I do believe you can go back to just Canon firmware.

Again, DON'T USE THAT FILE.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Lucas_W

Oh, right. I'm always getting confused between the bootfix.fir and the safe-dumper.fir.

faern

Since everyone is giving everyone advice and some people obviously give false/dangerous advice. Would it not be good if the moderators edit those posts and add some bold Admin edit: Don't do this or similar?
That would probably be helpful to many people that just suck up all the helping posts they see here. Much clearer than finding some later post that debate the correctness of the previous ones.
Canon 650D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

Lucas_W

I don't think anyone is intentionally giving incorrect information. Also, the admins/developers have repeatedly said that this is a pre-alpha and even the officially released pre-alpha was intended for those apart of the first pre-alpha. So it kind of goes without saying that everything else is unofficial and not officially supported.

As I saw it, the idea of the pre-alpha 2 was for people already testing the pre-alpha to continue testing. If people are going to suck up all the helping posts, they'll do that regardless. and if there weren't any helping posts, they'd ask for some, as they have.

If you were passively meaning me, I try to give as accurate advice as I can and most of my advice is helpful [Like that 'bypass-the-45-minute-VM-download' it seems]. The only time I think I gave potentially dangerous information was when I gave out my autoexec.bin and a link to the bootfix.fir [See my post on my confusion over the two .firs], though I did explicitly say I wasn't responsible in that post, and the links were then edited out when nanomad saw what I had done wrong and no-one's cameras were damaged/bricked.

faern

Of course no one give out false information on purpose, I never meant that. Well this time I kind of meant you, but other people do this as well. I don't mean any offence to you, most such errors are by mistake.

My point being that forums like these are not really suited for this kind of instructions since people just add walls of text after each other instead of updating some kind of relevant instruction list.

I know the release is not intended for everyone. But judging from the posts many people try it out anyway.
Anyhow, this is meta. Nevermind. I don't care. I will try ML soon anyway.
Canon 650D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

laame

Cropmarks disappear when flipping screen. Also overlays are mirrored in self portrait screen position.

nanomad

Noted.
Overlays re-appear on HS press
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

blade

continues from post # 1115

I will skip the movie menu for now, as i have no pc today to review clips.

Shoot:
Advanced bracketing: No advanced bracketing in pre alpha :-(

Intervalometer: OK
    tested different settings with snap simulation. All variables work as expected.

Motion detect:
     Trigger by:
          Frame diff: OK
          expo change: OK
          Steady hands: Fail Could not get a snap, also tested withoud snap simulation. Also played with trigger level 8-30 and detect size.
          Detect size: small/medium/large: OK

Silent picture:
     Simple:OK
     Burst:OK
     continuous:OK
       Note: it is taking the .422 pictures, and they are on the card. I have not checked if they are OK

Shoot preference:
     Pic at once: OK tested 1-3-5
     Snap simulation: OK

Display
LV Brightness OK
LV contrast:OK
LV saturation:OK
LV display gain:OK
Color scheme:OK
Clear overlays:Not jet test due to short lunch break
Advanced settings: see above

Ok, I will finish the Display menu next time... So far everything is nice and stable. I did notice some flickering in the menu now and then, but noting i can reproduce.

Looking forward to the magic zoom fix.

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

nanomad

Magic zoom is a pain. I managed to deflicker it but now it locks up the camera (keeps redrawing...)

ch3ka

Great work @devs!

Just installed the second pre-alpha and playing with it right now.
I think I just found a bug, though:

Quote from: blade on May 02, 2013, 01:47:19 PM

Intervalometer: OK

I cannot confirm that.
If the camera does not get focus confirmation, the intervalometer will attempt to take the shot, fail, refocus, and die, leaving the camera in a state where it eighter hangs completely, or focus just won't work anymore.

(standard factory settings, except for C.Fn 4 on 2 and C.Fn 6 on 1. and quality on raw. Mode M, AF-S, "normal" photo mode (not liveview).)

can you reproduce that and/or suggest a workaround?

blade

As stated I only tested with snap simulation. So without actual taking a picture. The next time I test I will revisit this item

1%

QuoteMagic zoom is a pain

I think for EOSM will just have to fall back to a different sync mode while recording. I have had no crashes or lockups, just the rec flicker.

Are the image overrides somehow working in non QR mode?

warof1

My motion detect is working on Steady Hands, so this may be intermittent. The setting I used was 8. I will have a better look at it later today.
.422 files are being made for me as well, but I can not get them to open. They error back saying they do not have a size, which I imagine refers to the 1920x1080 frame size.

blade

Intervall is also cousing a lockup for me, if I have autofocus on. If I turn autofocus off it works as it should.

MarlonSenanayake

waiting waiting waiting waitng for 650D ML

blade

I was about to see what I can do with the .422 files. I see that there is a command line tool https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/422-jpg.py. As I only run Mac I was wondering if there is a Mac tool ( pref with GUI ) out there....

Lucas_W

Can't you just get Python for Mac?

blade

This will most likely run on a Mac. However It would safe me some command line headaches if a nice Mac implementation was available. I have search for it but came up empty handed.

laame

Quote from: blade on May 03, 2013, 09:31:11 AM
This will most likely run on a Mac. However It would safe me some command line headaches if a nice Mac implementation was available. I have search for it but came up empty handed.
I think you can get by with that python script and Automator.

blade

Quote from: laame on May 03, 2013, 10:53:52 AM
I think you can get by with that python script and Automator.

Good suggestion, i will see if i can get that to work.

baga

I'm having a brain freeze.  I can't remember how to bring up the alternate menu screen.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

nanomad

Aborgh

laame

I dont know if it's a bug or harware limitation, but if you have zebras on for both under and ower exposed areas, they don't show up at the same time, but alternate in unpleasant fassion.