Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade

Quote from: nanomad on April 27, 2013, 02:00:56 PM
Update:
- Added a better fw signature for the 650D
- Fixed MagicZoom vsync

Nanomad,  does the better firmware signature mean that boot problem that could brick a camera is fixed? And no more flickering magic zoom is very nice!

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

kazeone

I know this is a strange request but could some of the people testing, make little videos to show off whats working and so forth, I think this could help feed some peoples desires of ML. ^_^

oh and when I say videos, I mean shots showing the software in action so I guess you would need a camera to film the camera so that might not be as plausible as I was thinking in my head. ^^;;

jaapiyo

With all the interesting developments around the 5Dmkii/iii maybe being able to save raw image's without shutter action, at a reasonable speed. (http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/magic-lantern-raw-video-canon-5d-mark-ii-iii/) I'm interested to know if this might be able with the 650d?
Canon 650d and Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.4 IS USM love'n

1%

It works on EOS M to save the DNGs already but I can't get the Lv recorder (or other modules) working... so maybe nanomad will have better luck on a more robust camera.... No clue if 650D is as crippled in regular live view.

Aborgh

I found a download link for 650D alpha 1, is it an early stage alpha?  ???

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads

kazeone

Quote from: Aborgh on April 28, 2013, 10:27:54 AM

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads

if its not been posted here in this thread by one of the devs or testers then well I wouldnt trust it as far as I know its still closed testing.

Aborgh

Oh alright! New to this forum so I do not know how things work here!

Thanks!

blade

Quote from: Aborgh on April 28, 2013, 10:27:54 AM

If I am correct this is the source code from last month. If you have the skills you can compile your own version from this code. Unless you know what you are doeing I would not advise this

There is no precompiled public version available at the moment. A closed alpha is a viable to selecte testers, however this is still an early version. However progress is being made and when it's safe it will be released.

oli650d

Eos m , Eos 70d canon 18-135 STM :canon 50mm f1.8 : tamron  SP 70-300 f4/5.6 VC : SD eye-fi 4Go/Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s 8Go:flash yongnuo YN565EX / YN560 II: tube extention macro 31;21;13mm : tamron SP 90mm DI f2.8:sigma 17-50 ex f2.8: efm 22mm...70D.111A

newsense

Quote from: blade on April 28, 2013, 11:14:29 AM
If I am correct this is the source code from last month. If you have the skills you can compile your own version from this code. Unless you know what you are doeing I would not advise this

There is no precompiled public version available at the moment. A closed alpha is a viable to selecte testers, however this is still an early version. However progress is being made and when it's safe it will be released.

There are no real skills required to compile the source code but I understand why you advise against it since it may brick your camera but I think people that want to go for it should know how easy it really is to compile. 1: ./configure, 2: make, 3: make install.

Aborgh

Quote from: newsense on April 28, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
There are no real skills required to compile the source code but I understand why you advise against it since it may brick your camera but I think people that want to go for it should know how easy it really is to compile. 1: ./configure, 2: make, 3: make install.

Is it like compiling a build on android or completely different?

nanomad

Way easier if you use the pre-configured virtual machine ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

blade

Quote from: nanomad on April 28, 2013, 12:37:23 PM

Haha, yes if you know what you are doeing! Out of curiosity I downloaded the virtual box image and got the latest code downloaded...  Thereafter it became to difficult for me...  But then again if I see a command line I het scared :-)

newsense

My question is how safe is ML for the 650D in the current state? I saved up for literally 2 years to get a DSLR. That being said would any of the devs here say it's safe but just not complete or any tips on running it and avoiding bricking?

newsense

Quote from: nanomad on April 28, 2013, 12:37:23 PM

Where can I get the VB image and does it have the latest ML source?

Aborgh

I just want to get some things straight

ML does not modify the firmware right?

Does ML flash any firmware onto the camera?

When ML installs what exactly does it install?

Lucas_W

Quote from: Aborgh on April 28, 2013, 01:31:00 PM
I just want to get some things straight

ML does not modify the firmware right?

Does ML flash any firmware onto the camera?

When ML installs what exactly does it install?

1. It does modify the firmware, part of why it is currently un-safe.

2. Well, it doesn't flash a firmware but it does modify part of the on-camera memory, which is why it is potentially un-safe and why the 650D Magic Lantern port has not been released for testing.

3. It changes the 'boot-flag' on the camera's memory (IE. Not on the SD card but the camera itself) that IIRC tells the camera to look on the SD-card for a debug firmware (Which is there for when Canon is doing testing/etc I imagine).

I posted the link to the VB image a couple pages back, I'll edit it in shortly.

Here it is: http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/Development%20Box/VirtualBox/MagicLantern.zip
But it doesn't come with the latest source, so you'll need to grab the latest from bitbucket.

And because someone mentioned it on this page, no, it is not currently safe.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

nomad

Thank you very much all of you involved with this project for your effort, dedication and ingenuity.

Any predictable timing on 650D stable or even beta port? Mine is anxious to take some nice time lapses =)
I ask because I don't want to buy one of those expensive remote controllers with timed repetitive shutter release, as ML can do that and much more...

Lucas_W

News is found either by a developer posting here or on the source code repository: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

teecee

Hi I found this on the internet
Magic Lantern Unlocks RAW Video on the Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/magic-lantern-raw-video-canon-5d-mark-ii-iii/

I hope this will come on 650D  6D 7D or 60D

Aborgh

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 28, 2013, 02:02:39 PM
1. It does modify the firmware, part of why it is currently un-safe.

2. Well, it doesn't flash a firmware but it does modify part of the on-camera memory, which is why it is potentially un-safe and why the 650D Magic Lantern port has not been released for testing.

3. It changes the 'boot-flag' on the camera's memory (IE. Not on the SD card but the camera itself) that IIRC tells the camera to look on the SD-card for a debug firmware (Which is there for when Canon is doing testing/etc I imagine).

I posted the link to the VB image a couple pages back, I'll edit it in shortly.

Here it is: http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/Development%20Box/VirtualBox/MagicLantern.zip
But it doesn't come with the latest source, so you'll need to grab the latest from bitbucket.

And because someone mentioned it on this page, no, it is not currently safe.

OK right! Thanks for that :)

If bootflag does not work then there is no chance of bricking the device since bootflag does not show where the device should boot from. So the bricking device thing is in the bootflag?

nanomad

Ok, here are the "dangerous" things ML can do:
- Fail the enable bootflag stage (happened in pre-alpha1) -> Camera boots only via SD, internal FW disabled. An ad-hoc firmware update made by alex recovered those cameras. The bug in the installer should be fixed already.

- Write a wrong value to a prop -> Camera enters an ERR70 loop. We may be able to fix it by skipping the error, restoring a correct value and rebooting. Untested. Alphas have props disabled anyway.

- Boot an incompatible firmware version because of the missing firwmare signature check. Anything can happen, including completely wiping out the ROM. I've added the signature but some cameras refused to boot because they had a different signature. I should have fixed it yesterday (I hope)

- Call unsafe canon functions / Poke the wrong registers. See previous point for effects.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nanomad

Btw, send me a PM if your 650D has the bootflag on (I wiped the old ones, so I don't remember who had it)

Aborgh

So there is a "backup" function! That is good, at least for closed private testers :P

lostear

Quote from: nanomad on April 28, 2013, 03:37:23 PM
Btw, send me a PM if your 650D has the bootflag on (I wiped the old ones, so I don't remember who had it)

Just double checking for clarity. You want us to PM you if we had the bootflag bug or just anybody who have had installed (or attempted to) your pre-alpha?

I've had tried out the pre alpha and loved it. Lost the file (my fault with formatting) though so I'm really stuck with the vanilla T4i, heh.