Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu-nt

Do you all miss my drama ;)

shall i come in and say some stuff

LOL   (just having a laugh with you thats all, i thought my previous crap would cheer you up)

TomJ

Holy carp..., heard that the T5i is coming and a flash of terror overtook..., OMG I hope the dev for the T4i is compatible in some way...

Double Carp!! Knowing Canon, they'll muck it up just enough that everyone will have to start all over with development for that..., or just give up and stick with the mainstreams (5D3, 6D, etc.)

Funny that I started with a Canon F1 (top of the line for all intents) back in 1981 and went DOWN to a T3i just to use ML for vid overseas and so I wouldn't hack a lung if I dropped it off a cliff while paragliding...

T4i is waiting for ML (which WILL come and it sounds like SOON) and take it overseas to risk certain peril.

BTW, those who worked on T3i dev, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Countless times ML saved the day with functions Canon couldn't see fit to provide.

MarkFlex

Put the pre-alpha nightly builds, please ... Add me to the list of testers. OMG! If I knew how to program, I would not sleep day!! but heck, I'm just a user ...

vipvideo

So has anyone official actually given an actual approximate expected date for the t4i ML?

I am interested because because of its ability to enable headphone monitoring adapters.  I think I jumped the gun in buying my t4i, having used the 5D I assumed it came with a headphone jack.  Boy was I wrong, and monitoring audio is critical for what I do.  ( I must admit I'm kind of mad >:( at Canon for making a great camera and leaving off something so basic)

screamer

@alex: ahahahahaha  ;D never saw that page
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

xXxRapheraxXx

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I began to follow the development for T4i, chances are the magic lantern work?

:) :) :)

vipvideo

Thanks.  That's quite understandable and it sounds like its being worked on.  So I can wait patiently and never bug you again on this topic.

All the ML features look so exciting that I will try to save up and buy a used T2i or T3i extra body and dedicate it to ML.  So many times with cameras, I frustrate that they almost do what I bought them for.  I think it's so wonderful you ML guys do what do, enabling so many to create in new ways.  That you dedicate your hearts and minds to creating solutions is very incredibly great.  I applud you!  Thanks. :D

Micah

Agreed. I appeciate the efforts and skills of the developers and testers. Thank you all. Good luck and good speed with progress. 

killr0y

Hello ladies, gentleman, and trolls...

In the interest in impartiality, and with the understanding that there has been some animosity/impatience brewing on the ML release for the 650D, let me articulate both sides of the issue and maybe propose something that will assuage the angst of waiting for an official ML release.

On the one hand, we have people like nanomad who have spent considerable personal time porting ML to the 650D.  It isn't relevant why he's doing this, other than to point out that he isn't being paid.  He owes no one anything, and if anyone is a better coder/hacker then they should step up to the plate themselves and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth.

On the other hand, some people have certain expectations, unwarranted or otherwise, of individuals who are identified and "privileged" as ML team members.  Some feel that there are others waiting in line with the time and skill to do what the guys who were given cameras bought with donation money should have finished by now.  After all, its been six months and it hasn't even reached alpha.

So these are the two opposing perspectives, each biased with their own interests in mind.  Where is the common ground?

To me this is about setting expectations.  There was an unwarranted expectation that an alpha would be available early on in the year based on the progress of the M and previous ports.  People are not good at accepting "when it's done" as an answer, even if what they are waiting for is free.  I'm not sure why exactly, that's just the way it is.

Because so many ML enthusiasts are laymen when it comes to understanding the coding aspects of ML, it would be a noble gesture for the current coding team to provide a run-down of what has been completed and what specific work yet needs to be done before a stable release is made.  And then the laymen will return that noble gesture with one of their own:  Stop whining like little bitches.

Fair?

Audionut

You'll never ever stop people whining.

And detailing all the changes with an essay on what's still to come and ETA, is just taking development time away for the whingers.

It will come when it comes is a perfectly reasonable response to anyone who understands they aren't owed anything!  And anyone who doesn't understand that they aren't owed anything should be ignored!

1%

I think the main issue was that the boot flag fir had the possibility of bricking some cameras. Rather than release it went into closed beta testing.

Wanna know what is/isn't likely working? I don't see a private repo for nanomad so :

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/e6744dc12079864bdc930252e7d906835342f08e/platform/650D.101/features.h?at=unified

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/e6744dc12079864bdc930252e7d906835342f08e/platform/650D.101/internals.h?at=unified

Its in terms I would hope people understand at least somewhat.

From what I see there are EOSM style issues with syncing overlays, etc. Honestly though, some of these comments are pretty demotivating.

newsense

Thought i'd try to shed some sunlight on this thread. I am an aspiring filmmaker and got my T4i 3 months ago and went with Canon for my first DSLR mainly for ML. I am a long time Linux user and could easily compile the pre-alpha myself but it took me about 2 years to get my first DSLR and would rather play it safe and wait. I fully trust and appreciate everything the ML team is doing and will patiently wait for an official release.

shaunlaf

Like all of us I'm a busy guy.  I can't believe some of the whining I'm seeing on here.  Thank you ML folks for all the work you're doing for whatever reasons you're doing them.  I'm super anxious to be using ML on my camera, and so grateful for all that you're doing to get ML running on the t4i.

One piece of feedback, make it easier for folks to donate to you.  I only looked for a minute, but couldn't find it... part of my job is building websites, having that "DONATE" button in the face of each user might help getting the message through that this is a voluntary pursuit and if they really wanna help, put their money where their mouth is.

I'll take a look and am sure I'll find it, but either way, thanks.

Phillips321

Quote from: shaunlaf on April 26, 2013, 04:47:30 PM
I only looked for a minute, but couldn't find it... part of my job is building websites, having that "DONATE" button in the face of each user might help getting the message through that this is a voluntary pursuit and if they really wanna help, put their money where their mouth is.

I'll take a look and am sure I'll find it, but either way, thanks.

They are no longer accepting donations. Although i think they should to help pay for hosting, bandwidth, machines to compile on and so on....

SlimSpydey

I agree,

I have been looking forward to this as well, but don't wanna rush the dev's or make them feel undue pressure.
That being said, I am more than willing to donate to this. These guys are working really hard to make our lives easier, if I met them in person the least I'd do is buy them a beer. Donating to this would be the virtual "beer's on me".
Canon 650D - 50mm 1.8 - 18-55mm Kit Lens

RafaLibrenz

Guys, we can follow a little of what's going on here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all

Please stop bothering and demotivate the guys who are doing it for free.
70D + 18-135 STM

kazeone

okay for those freaking out about the T5i coming out and T4i being dropped in dev well considering older camera models are still being worked on, I dont see that as an issue and considering there practically no difference between the T4i and T5i, bring a port over may not be difficult, I cant say Im not a coder but in any case, the efforts for the t4i will continue (I hope).

I also agree, am I biting at the bit to try out ML on my T4i of course, who wouldnt be? but I have worked in software, worked as a tester and so on and can tell you that trying to work on something on your own personal time can be tough when you have this thing called life popping up which tend to have far more priorities then something like this.

So please stop with the negative comments, that is the quickest way to end development then it is to help spur it on, I have seen it happen and have been sadden by such... so only positive comments please.

I for one am grateful and hope everything is going well with everyone involved both with the project and with their personal life. Keep up the great work.

nanomad

Quote from: Phillips321 on April 26, 2013, 04:50:56 PM
They are no longer accepting donations. Although i think they should to help pay for hosting, bandwidth, machines to compile on and so on....
We got that covered for now :-)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

t4ilover

Like someone else mentioned.. what keeps me happy and hopeful about the 650d Port is the number of views for 650d 110635 Views! 8)
Even in number of replys only second to 6D 993 Replies

nanomad

Update:
- Added a better fw signature for the 650D
- Fixed MagicZoom vsync
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

kazeone

breaker

Thanks for the update nanomad! Hope the rest of your work with 650d goes smooth :). Have a nice weekend!
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

TomJ

LOVE the "virtual beers" idea.

Maybe in real-life, somewhere, sometime? I travel a lot. Overseas mostly, but get around the country now too quite often. Solo, run&gun shooter, have-equipment-will-film kind of stuff. So just maybe..., that would be cool, eh? Do a film about a guy who goes around the country just to take ML code-runners out to dinner and drinks? Who's up for it? Wait..., Canon would send a hitman in for sure..., well..., maybe not the greatest idea...

gianmarcom

For what it's worth I used ML on my 550d and loved it, then I upgraded to the 650d knowing that ML was not available for it. I really miss ML but I'm prepared to wait however long it takes, and I will never be able to thank the developer enough for all his hard work!