Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

Yep, not the safe ones I handed out though (requires props)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Lucas_W

I tried to compile the latest version of autoexec.bin and I re-did the EOScard but when I booted up my LED flashes and camera doesn't boot, it's fine without the card though. Is it because I'm using an outdated nightly of Magiclantern or did I do something wrong.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

nanomad

Uhmm..interesting. Did the old alpha work for you? The only thing I can think of is the new CRC check I added to prevent booting with a wrong fw version. (I'll sit on IRC if you want to do a couple of tests)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Lucas_W

I never got to try the old alpha. The version I was using before was a autoexec.bin I compiled myself on March 13th with the .fir from the 650D downloads section.

nanomad and I have been testing things on IRC and he thinks there might be a bug with his signature checking or that I was just using an old firmware or similar.

On the plus-side, here's an image of one of Magic Lantern's "features" [It's a joke btw, my camera is perfectly safe!]

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/820/20130416215724.jpg

faern

Taking timelapses with cameras with moving mirrors is dangerous since they get worn out after a limited number of shots. Of course it depend on the interval and everything else. Taking 1 pic each 10 sec will produce >8000 images per day.

I know some people who did this and broke the camera completely after a few days.

Watch out guys!
Canon 650D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

Lucas_W

Plants don't really grow that fast (I hope?), so I don't think he'd be taking a photo every 10 seconds. Maybe he could take 1 an hour and have 1 day = 1 second which would produce 14 seconds of time lapse footage at 24 fps.

Phillips321

Lucas, that was the plan 2 weeks lasting 14 seconds.

24 shots per day * 14 days = 336 photos, surely not enought to wear the shutter out!

faern

Of course not. I just wanted to warn for potential mistakes.

Well available builds would be awesome. Please carry on.
Canon 650D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

Slasklita

Hey guys! Just want to hop in and give a big thanks to everyone working on this release.

Im also wondering how to compile ML? Not that i cant wait for the official release. No stress bro!
But i love living on the edge, experimenting with shit :)

FYI; I have no experience in programming

loplo

Then stand back and relax.
Compiling and installing it's not resuming to "next -> next -> finish", so better be safe and wait.

Slasklita

Quote from: loplo on April 16, 2013, 04:15:29 PM
Then stand back and relax.
Compiling and installing it's not resuming to "next -> next -> finish", so better be safe and wait.
Yeah.. Thats what i thought.
What could go wrong when compiling it yourself?

Lucas_W

Funnily enough, compiling Magic Lantern sort of is "next -> next -> finish" except Command Line style instead of GUI.

If you do want to compile Magic Lantern I 110% recommend getting the Virtual Machine made for it.

http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/Development%20Box/VirtualBox/MagicLantern.zip

You'll need virtualbox for it. From then on you just need to make a make.user file and do 'make 650D' in the terminal and get your autoexec.bin off your VM.

loplo

Lucas_W

Heh. Yep, it's as simple as pressing a button..... and then doing this, and then doing that, and then writing this here and that there. :P

1ricca

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 16, 2013, 04:50:50 PM
Funnily enough, compiling Magic Lantern sort of is "next -> next -> finish" except Command Line style instead of GUI.

If you do want to compile Magic Lantern I 110% recommend getting the Virtual Machine made for it.

You'll need virtualbox for it. From then on you just need to make a make.user file and do 'make 650D' in the terminal and get your autoexec.bin off your VM.

It's always much simpler when you've done it before. I find myself making similar justifications to people about other programmer stuff where, to me, it seems like such a quick and easy task. It's like reformatting a PC. So easy to me, but there really is a ton of particulars and steps that a smart someone who's never done it before could easily screw it up. Being so busy, I know I wouldn't have any problems doing it myself. Just no time what so ever for me right now. Yet, I would absolutely love to test some more out and report on bugs. That I do have time for ;)

Therefor... anyone that would be generous enough to compile a 650d build and PM me with it would be a champion and ultimately be helping out the community just a little more, not just for me :P

blade

If I could compile a version for you ( and I can't) I would not give it to you. Any bugs you run in to you will report back here. And as it would be a costum build the developers would have a hard time figuring out what may have coused the bug.

Wait for the build from nanomad, it will not have every option activated, but it will be testable. So fare the code is very stable ( far more stable then some comersial final software I have to work with) and that takes time.

Aldo I have a pre alpha running, I to look forward to a alpha version. And when it is there I will test and report back.
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

Slasklita

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 16, 2013, 04:50:50 PM

Oh, really?
This is the correct download for the ML build, right? https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/overview

Lucas_W

That's the source-code that you compile from, yes.

I'm not sure if I should do this, but I've attached my autoexec.bin and the .fir file for the 650D from the ftp space of the site.

I take no responsibility for what happens if you brick your camera, and I have no idea how to help in such event. I'm not even 100% sure this works.

You'll need to place both into the root of your card and then download the magic-lantern nightly and place the ML folder in the root. Then you'll need to download EOScard and check all threes boxes and click 'save'. Pop the card into your camera and then run the firmware updater and that should work, I have no idea as it's a different process to what I originally did.

Link removed by Nanomad: The bootfix does not enable the bootflag, it fixes it...and the FIR bypasses a crucial safety check
As always, the safest and officially recommended method is to wait until the official Alpha release.

Slasklita

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 16, 2013, 05:40:57 PM
That's the source-code that you compile from, yes.

I'm not sure if I should do this, but I've attached my autoexec.bin and the .fir file for the 650D from the ftp space of the site.

I take no responsibility for what happens if you brick your camera, and I have no idea how to help in such event. I'm not even 100% sure this works.

You'll need to place both into the root of your card and then download the magic-lantern nightly and place the ML folder in the root. Then you'll need to download EOScard and check all threes boxes and click 'save'. Pop the card into your camera and then run the firmware updater and that should work, I have no idea as it's a different process to what I originally did.

*********** - autoexec.bin

*********** - 650D-bootifx.fir

As always, the safest and officially recommended method is to wait until the official Alpha release.
Ok now Im almost shitting my pants

What revision is this?

Lucas_W

The latest as of writing, but with a slight modification to bypass the sig check as that wasn't working right.

EDIT: Funnily enough, Bitbucket is also down as of writing...

Slasklita

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 16, 2013, 06:07:14 PM
The latest as of writing.

EDIT: Funnily enough, Bitbucket is also down as of writing...
It didn't work. Just said that i needed "All the ML files on the card" or something like that when i tried the Firmware update tool inside the camera.

Lucas_W

Ah, okay. Try this instead:

Wipe the root of your card (Except the DCIM folder if you have anything stored there).

Then extract removed onto it.
Edit by nanomad: Nope, the bootfix won't work..it's a fix, not a proper bootflag enabler
Do the firmware update.

Replace the ML folder and autoexec.bin with the nightly and file I linked to, respectively. Do the EOScard step.

and it should just boot up into ML [Press trashcan on the normal operation display to bring up the ML menu].

Slasklita

Quote from: Lucas_W on April 16, 2013, 06:23:26 PM
Ah, okay. Try this instead:

Wipe the root of your card (Except the DCIM folder if you have anything stored there).

Then extract http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/650D/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Feb02.650D.BOOTFIX.zip onto it.

Do the firmware update.

Replace the ML folder and autoexec.bin with the nightly and file I linked to, respectively. Do the EOScard step.

and it should just boot up into ML [Press trashcan on the normal operation display to bring up the ML menu].
That last part was a litte fuzzy. I want to get this 100% correct.
After i do the firmware update with the ML folder and 650D-bootfix.fir, i replace them both with the two files you linked earlier and the bitbucket folder?

EDIT: I dont have a autoexec.bin after i did the firmware update on the memory card

Lucas_W

after you do the firmware update:

Download the nightly: http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/ (The .zip)

Copy the 'ML' folder in that nightly package into your card (And overwrite when it says if you want to)

Then download the autoexec.bin I originally posted in my first post (The Google drive thing). Put that onto the root of the card and overwrite the old one.

Then run EOScard and check all three boxes and click 'save' (I press it a couple of times because someone suggested that 10's of pages ago and because OCD). Then put the card into the camera and turn it on (You probably shouldn't have to do another firmware update).

Shadeena

What response is one meant to get after the firmware upgrade? I'm following the steps and ML isn't loading (camera is fine tho). When I do the firmware upgrade step I get 'EnableMainFirm :)' on the camera's LCD. That's the only feedback the process generated.

Thanks for taking the time Lucas_W and big thank you to the ML team for their work.