Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killr0y

Quote from: DavidFell on April 04, 2013, 05:59:17 PM
A prosumer video camera? Geez, I haven't seen one of those at a wedding in years. I'd bet that a survey would show most pro wedding photogs now use DSLRs. But I shall not be funding such a survey.

I highly disagree.  DSLR's are completely unfit for shooting weddings.  They lack the handheld stability, the ergonomics, and overall simplified video functionality necessary for on-the-fly style shoots.  DSLR's are also not as sharp as prosumer camcorders, and require special techniques in most cases to avoid things like moire and rolling shutter.  The only thing DSLR's excel at with regards to video is the cinematic/film-look and this is something you cannot easily get with on-the-fly shooting.

Of course this is a conversation best left for another forum!

1%

That really boils down to image stabilization.

Chuck J

Sharp lenses make sharp images... put your money in the glass. Also DSLR produces a great image in low light and you have the bonus of a creamy archival quality image that doesn't look flattened out. My experience is that a wedding is a staged event and with planning and use of jibs and sliders you convey much more of the emotional aspect of the event than with zoom on the fly. 8)

Doc producer: T2i, T4i, 60D, Ex1, Ex3

baga

Quote from: killr0y on April 06, 2013, 02:10:44 AM
I highly disagree.  DSLR's are completely unfit for shooting weddings.  They lack the handheld stability, the ergonomics, and overall simplified video functionality necessary for on-the-fly style shoots.  DSLR's are also not as sharp as prosumer camcorders, and require special techniques in most cases to avoid things like moire and rolling shutter.  The only thing DSLR's excel at with regards to video is the cinematic/film-look and this is something you cannot easily get with on-the-fly shooting.

I've seen a few Pro's at weddings using DSLR's in the past few years hand held.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Maddoxfotos

Quote from: Chuck J on April 07, 2013, 02:54:22 PM
Sharp lenses make sharp images... put your money in the glass. Also DSLR produces a great image in low light and you have the bonus of a creamy archival quality image that doesn't look flattened out. My experience is that a wedding is a staged event and with planning and use of jibs and sliders you convey much more of the emotional aspect of the event than with zoom on the fly. 8)

I agree your glass is key, I can't stress how many amateur photographers I see with 5d's but only one lens in there camera bag. I've saved my money and use a rebel for years and now I have an arsenal of 12 lenses and 2 t4i's.

oli650d

Hello let us can hope us to have ml by one has two months?
Eos m , Eos 70d canon 18-135 STM :canon 50mm f1.8 : tamron  SP 70-300 f4/5.6 VC : SD eye-fi 4Go/Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s 8Go:flash yongnuo YN565EX / YN560 II: tube extention macro 31;21;13mm : tamron SP 90mm DI f2.8:sigma 17-50 ex f2.8: efm 22mm...70D.111A

acronk

Quote from: killr0y on April 06, 2013, 02:10:44 AM

Everything you can mentioned can be fixed with a glidecam and some accessories. I think a 5d is the perfect camera for shooting weddings.

This is my first post! I'm excited for the future of Magic Lantern especially on the 650d. Thanks for all your hard work :)

kazeone

anyhow getting back on topic, how is the progress going on ML?

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: nanomad on March 31, 2013, 05:19:25 PM
Yep, still fixing bugs. Closed doors testing really helps nailing down bugs since people actually test the features. The FPS override bug should be fixed now, so expect another build soon.
Nanomad, you are accepting donations to help you with the development of ML for 650D?
70D + 18-135 STM

newsense

Quote from: RafaLibrenz on April 08, 2013, 10:02:49 AM
Nanomad, you are accepting donations to help you with the development of ML for 650D?

I believe there was a previous post in this thread that said they had all the funding needed and posted a link to a cause that helped with copyright stuff or something similar. I suggest reading this whole post. I will keep checking back to hear about any updated towards the progress of ML for the 650D(T4i).

g3gg0

> Thanks to your help, we have covered all our funding needs for now. Please consider donating to EFF, they do a great work in defending your digital rights!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ZiskinbMe

Hello I am from Israel and sorry for my bad English I have canon 650d and I waiting for magic lantern thank you for you great work and if you need test it i can help

nanomad

Quote from: kazeone on April 08, 2013, 03:29:20 AM
anyhow getting back on topic, how is the progress going on ML?

Ironing out bugs, mostly due to overlooking stuff here and there :P
I'm also taking care of the 1100D because I admit I overlooked it a bit.

Quote from: RafaLibrenz on April 08, 2013, 10:02:49 AM

As g3gg0 pointed out we have all the expenses covered for now, but thanks anyway.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

newsense

Thanks for the update Nanomad and all your hard work. Truly appreciated.

a1ex

Small reminder: in reboot.c it should compute a checksum of Canon firmware and refuse to boot with the wrong firmware version. This is a safeguard, so people don't screw up their cameras when Canon releases a new update.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Beardymadness

TomJ

Count me super excited too!

Stayed with the T3i for as long as possible just because of the capabilities I had with ML. Wore the shutter out (was giving hints) and warranty was up, so I upped to a T4i, now also patiently waiting and super excited!!

BTW, have been registered here for a long time, just never actually post about anything...

Lucas_W

I can't wait until you unlock the other ML features on the T4i. Live preview features and HDR-video and motion detection is great and all, but I'm excited for when focus stacking and advanced HDR (Picture) bracketing gets on the camera!

Great work all around nonetheless.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

Rtalos

I recently bought a 650D and I can't wait until ML!

Just wanna say that I think you are doing a great job and that it is very much appreciated. I LOVE YOU!
650D || 24-105 L || 50 1.8 ||

faern

I guess I can come out of my non posting corner as well. I have been following this thread for quite a while and I'm really looking forward to ML on this camera. I ordered my 650D this monday and I'm still waiting for delivery.
I will be busy with the standard camera for quite a while but I really hope ML will reach it sooner or later.

The features I'm interested in using is picture HDR and scripting.

My deepest respect for those who have worked on this so far and for those who will make it reach a release.
Canon 650D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC

killr0y

Quote from: Chuck J on April 07, 2013, 02:54:22 PM

You can put Zeiss cinema glass on a T4i and I guarantee you it will never be as sharp as a comparable camcorder.  Why?  Simple.  The sensor has no idea what a 1080P image is.  The processor uses extremely crude line & pixel skipping to simulate the 5,184 x 3,456 sensor as a 1920x1080 sensor. 

If you were to grab the centermost 1920x1080 sensor data, you would have your moire-less, tack-sharp HD video.  The problem is that you'd also be stuck with a ridiculous crop factor that wasn't very useful. 

Now, if Magic Lantern was able to change how the raw sensor data was captured, say for example, you pulled the center 3840x2160, then threw out ever 2nd horizontal pixel and every 2nd vertical pixel, you would have a much cleaner image and you would only be dealing with a zoom factor of 26%.  This would also reduce the rolling shutter considerably, because a smaller area of the sensor is being refreshed.

SlimSpydey

Been lurking for too long without paying respect.

Thanks for all the hard work guys,
as someone who is just diving into programming on the side as well as having a full time job,
I have a huge respect for you guys being able to put such hard work into this project.
Best of luck with everything, and don't stress over it too much!
Canon 650D - 50mm 1.8 - 18-55mm Kit Lens

teecee

I am new here  i dont know anything about coding or anything like that. i am a film student i can only request for what i want to see  for the 650D i want  to be able to shoot Raw and 4K  it will be nice to see these function. ;D

1%