Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck J

Agree with baga t4i is an upgrade to the t5i and ever spinning dial forces you to look at what setting you are stopped on. Maybe canon used the t5i as a means to be rid of the grip recall issue?

Chuck J

;D
Quote from: nanomad on March 24, 2013, 02:22:25 PM
Btw i got feedback from the testers for the second closed doors alpha. No major bugs so far but it needs a couple of more tweaks

jomu73

Hi @all, 2 Weeks ago i sell my 550d with ML, cause my Birthday Gift on Thuesday will be a used 650d(bought myself :(), but my favorite Gift would be the release of the ML for the 650d, I Thank everyone who helps to develop this Great Peace of Firmware. Good Luck and Thanks!

loplo

Happy BDay in advance, welcome to the waiting list :)

bobbyfiend

Just wanted to let you know I'm yet another person who will be delighted when this port is ready for the world! And if I come into any extra cash (after what I dropped on the camera...) I'll donate to your coding activities. Keep up the awesome.

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 24, 2013, 07:24:14 PM
Agree with baga t4i is an upgrade to the t5i and ever spinning dial forces you to look at what setting you are stopped on. Maybe canon used the t5i as a means to be rid of the grip recall issue?

I agree, it's like they just wanted that bad taste to go away.  As far as the dial I know where everything is by the stops.  It's like the XTi dial.  I just use my thumb or index finger to roll it. 

Oh well it seems we all love our T4i's especially with ML on it.  I still might have made the same choice just for the better kit lens.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

turkishsteve

Hi, I've never posted here and I'm new and this is my first post. I've been reading this hole thing and have some questions. I read every post, but couldn't find the answer to when is this thing coming out for t4i? Also since the pay version isn't out can I buy the free version now so I can go ahead and used it? Also some of the features that I don't understand. Will ML, is it ok if I call it that, be able to make my t4i lighter weight because I have carpet tunnel syn drome and it is too heavy. And can ML be put in a case when not to be using? Also, will I can use it in automatic green box mode because that's the only mode I no how use. This is it's my first post.

(Sorry guys, I had to...) =P Hope I didn't get anybody upset. Just wanted to add a little humor. I've been following this for some time now and some of the questions I see asked, just annoy me a bit, lol. No biggie, just wanted to have some fun. Now back to your regularly scheduled... whatever it was you were doing...

Have a good day!
Stephen

newsense

Nikon fanboys trolling the ML forums I see.

blade

Lol,
However if you would have read the whole post you would know that we are planning to hack the space time continuum. After completion we will implement all future canon and mll features yesterday. So in fact it is already here. And that includes the antigravity function from the eos xx980d extreme from 2042.
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

turkishsteve

Lol! No, I'm actually a Canon guy. Had the old film Rebel XS and recently got a t4i. Loving it so far! As for having the space time continuum, I'm going to go ahead and install ML on my phone, as soon as I wake up yesterday! It will be the best picture phone ever! ;-)

In all seriousness, keep up the good work devs! Thanks for all you do!

BrightGarden

Quote from: alaricoxagaras on March 24, 2013, 11:19:15 AM
"SLAP!!!" going down and then "SLAP!!!" going up?

Agreed - a true mirror lockup would be great - I think this is how it used to work on my film Nikon 8008s.
I was at a veterans event today and knew my T4i was "slapping" too loud from the back where I was shooting from. Wanted to make sure I didn't miss a good shot of a flag raising and had it in continuous mode. Not a good thing - was way too loud and obnoxious. I would hate to have to get a mirrorless just for that reason.
Peter Gregory - Greater NYC Area
Pictorialist and Documentarist, of my own, small world...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual you have an obligation to be one."

1ricca

Ok guys, this is a huge issue for me and I can't find a thread or any info about it anywhere. Starting to think I might have a defective unit. Here goes:

When I'm in Stills Mode (power switch set to ON not VIDEO), and I'm shooting in M mode (manual exposure), and I go to use Live View, my live view screen is insanely darker than it should be. I take a picture and it looks how it should have looked. If I switch back to video mode on all the same settings, the live view shows exactly what my still came out to be.

Here's the real kicker... If I flip my on-camera flash open while in Live view on M mode, suddenly my live view shows accurately what my settings will look like, close the flash and take the shot, BOOM, perfectly what it looked like in the live view screen WHILE the flash was open. If I take the shot with the flash, naturally it's flashy.

This doesn't happen in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. Only Manual Exposure (M), in STILLS Mode with Live View. At least I finally found the little trick with popping my flash open, but it is a huge pain having to pop it open just to see my live view properly and then closing it before I take the shot.

So... anyone else able to reproduce this? This is a HUGE bug, unrelated to ML, but VERY related to this camera being about 20% the original awesomeness I planned it to be. Any help or info is super appreciated. I already read this thread and post to it all the time and I figured you guys would be a lot more helpful than anywhere else :)

michel

Can not reproduce here on my 650D, so I'm sorry (or glad, depending on how you look at it) to say but it must be a defect on your camera...

caerbannog

Just a quick question, don't want to sound rude.

But what shutter speed and aperture do you have set?

Because that does control the live view.

That is at 1/4000 I have a black screen but at 1/20 it is all OK.

Flipping up the flash does brighten this, as they will assume that there will be more light when the shot it taken.

1ricca

Quote from: caerbannog on March 26, 2013, 03:12:39 AM
Just a quick question, don't want to sound rude.

But what shutter speed and aperture do you have set?

Because that does control the live view.

That is at 1/4000 I have a black screen but at 1/20 it is all OK.

Flipping up the flash does brighten this, as they will assume that there will be more light when the shot it taken.

I was expecting the first reply to be like this...
If you read the entire post, when I switch to any other mode (A, S, Video, etc) with the exact same settings, all is fine. Also, in my post I said that when I actually TAKE the picture, it's the way it should be and the way it looks in the other modes.
My settings are irrelevant. It shows a preview of what looks to be the wrong exposure settings when, in fact, the settings are perfect. Taking a picture yields what my settings SHOULD yield. Live View is simply showing the wrong feedback.

To re-iterate:
Power Switch set to ON
Mode Dial set to M
Live View ON
Showing my live preview as though my ISO is set to 100

Power Switch set to ON
Mode Dial set to anything other than M
Live View ON
Showing my live preview accurately

Power Switch set to VIDEO
Mode Dial set M
Showing my live preview accurately

Power Switch set to ON
Mode Dial set to M
Live View ON
Flash Popped Up
Showing my live preview of what my still will look like WITHOUT a flash (EXACTLY what it will look like and EXACTLY what it looks like in the other mentioned scenarios)

michel

QuoteI was expecting the first reply to be like this...

You must've missed my reply. I did not assume you were stupid... ;)

dngrhm

Quote from: 1ricca on March 26, 2013, 03:21:40 AM
I was expecting the first reply to be like this...
If you read the entire post, ...
Try to not bite the hand that feeds you. They cared enough to try to help you, they posted for the first time.  Welcome caerbannog and michel!

I'm not experiencing what you are talking about in M mode.  Try resetting to default settings and try again.  If you experience the same thing, there is likely an issue with the camera.  Good luck.

Menu -> WRENCH:4 -> Clear Settings -> Clear All Settings
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

1ricca

Quote from: dngrhm on March 26, 2013, 04:28:31 AM
Try to not bite the hand that feeds you.  You are posting a troubleshooting question to a development thread.  ...and they cared enough to try to help you, they posted for the first time.  Welcome caerbannog!

I'm not experiencing what you are talking about in M mode.  Try resetting to default settings and try again.  If you experience the same thing, there is likely an issue with the camera.  Good luck.

Menu -> WRENCH:4 -> Clear Settings -> Clear All Settings

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I have installed ML on numerous cards and reset the settings along with each of those times. I was part of the initial Pre-Alpha 1 tests. The only other factor I failed to mention is that this is happening with lenses that are on adapters. I have Nikon glass only right now for my T4i right at this moment. I don't have any Canon lenses to test against this atm.

Just to triple-check, you tried this in non-video mode on M on a higher ISO?

I really hope this model isn't defective.

1ricca

Quote from: michel on March 26, 2013, 03:04:54 AM
Can not reproduce here on my 650D, so I'm sorry (or glad, depending on how you look at it) to say but it must be a defect on your camera...

Thanks michel. I didn't see your post until just now. Tiny phone screen :)

I just cringe at the strange cultural trend in this world of people questioning a post as opposed to replying to it. The screen is darker than the shot it is spitting out in one specific scenario... why would my shutter speed and aperture be in question? lol.
Was sort of a "did you plug it in?" type of response.   

dngrhm

Quote from: 1ricca on March 26, 2013, 04:58:18 AM
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I have installed ML on numerous cards and reset the settings along with each of those times. I was part of the initial Pre-Alpha 1 tests. The only other factor I failed to mention is that this is happening with lenses that are on adapters. I have Nikon glass only right now for my T4i right at this moment. I don't have any Canon lenses to test against this atm.

Just to triple-check, you tried this in non-video mode on M on a higher ISO?

I really hope this model isn't defective.

That's a horse of a different color. I missed that you had the pre alpha. Also the lens adapter with Nikon lenses could be doing some very strange things. It would be very relevant to testing the pre alpha if you don't have these problems with a ML-less card or ML disabled (hold set on startup I think).  I am not running with the alpha and can only confirm it is not a problem on vanilla T4i. I would assume the same for michel and caerbannog.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

1ricca

Quote from: dngrhm on March 26, 2013, 05:08:05 AM
That's a horse of a different color. I missed that you had the pre alpha. Also the lens adapter with Nikon lenses could be doing some very strange things. It would be very relevant to testing the pre alpha if you don't have these problems with a ML-less card or ML disabled (hold set on startup I think).  I am not running with the alpha and can only confirm it is not a problem on vanilla T4i. I would assume the same for michel and caerbannog.

I've tried it vanilla. It was happening before I installed ML too. I just always assumed I must be missing some setting somewhere for "constant preview" or something along those lines that was affecting it, but I was wrong.

It's strange too because if it WAS the 3rd party glass, why is it only happening in one very specific scenario and fine in every other way. One way or another, this is CERTAINLY a software bug I am experiencing. I'm not really looking for "help" with it.

Simply trying to see if anyone could reproduce the issue. If anyone can reproduce, it's a firmware bug. If not, my camera is defective. I will make a short video of the issue and post a link, but I will try and not flood this thread with the issue. Just wanted to see if all my fellow advanced tweakers have experienced this or not :)

Ivarss

This is the result of using nikon lenses with an adapter. Im having the same issue with vanilla 650D. My workaround is just not using liveview when taking photos with that lens!

Btw its a samyang 8mm fisheye lens in case you wondered! :)
Dyxlexia and Dyscalcia has its scars...

Ivarss

Quote from: 1ricca on March 26, 2013, 05:18:24 AM

Simply trying to see if anyone could reproduce the issue. If anyone can reproduce, it's a firmware bug. If not, my camera is defective. I will make a short video of the issue and post a link, but I will try and not flood this thread with the issue. Just wanted to see if all my fellow advanced tweakers have experienced this or not :)

Dont worry as i said i have the same isue with the nikon lens but my kit lens is working fine! So either its just that nikon lenses are not made for canon cameras (Capten obvious) or we both gotten ourself defective cameras! At least we are not alone! :D
Dyxlexia and Dyscalcia has its scars...

1ricca

Quote from: Ivarss on March 26, 2013, 05:29:57 AM
Dont worry as i said i have the same isue with the nikon lens but my kit lens is working fine! So either its just that nikon lenses are not made for canon cameras (Capten obvious) or we both gotten ourself defective cameras! At least we are not alone! :D

Huge relief. Maybe now that we know it is a widespread bug, there's some small hope of a FW or ML fix for it in the distant future.

Edit: Tried it with my 24-105mm F4 L-Series from my office and it's fine. Thought it was doing it at first but I was mistaken.
Thank you so much Ivarss and to all who checked on their T4i. You all just made my day :)
On any other forum, it would have wound up being a confusion fest leading to accusations of me setting my camera up wrong or not understanding shutter speeds or some non-sense ;)

Now at least everyone knows of this issue and that there IS a workaround with temporarily opening the on-camera flash or simply switching to SHUTTER PRIORITY. Switching to Shutter-priority lets you still do everything manually since you have to set the aperture manually on your lens anyway... so long as Auto-ISO and Auto-Lighting Optimizer are off {which I hope would be ;) }

Edit: I had typed aperture-priority but meant shutter. Its fixed now above.