Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 19, 2013, 08:50:16 PM
Although this is the wrong forum for this topic, clearly some think that "hacking" which ML is NOT doing, is the same thing as developing software code, which ML IS doing.

Canon turns on and off features based on it's ability to get the product to market within the parameters with the research and development available for the given hardware they put into their camera's.

As hardware quality and performance increase so to does the price. It's not a simple turn on or off a feature to make the price higher.

Some of the features that ML provides Canon Camera division is not permitted to provide because no compete laws with Video production.

As for making a computer more productive with software vs buying a faster computer? apples and oranges. no one said ML makes the cameras faster, just more productive.

Lets start fresh. :)  What version of ML are you using in your T4i/650d or are you using another model camera?  Maybe that's why we have different opinions.  Also quite a few of features ML can do haven't been activated yet and maybe that's why are opinions differ.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Ivarss

I dont see why you two are fighting all you do is speaking your mind which is allright!

From what i read there were no reason to feel that anyone of you were aggressive. Both were just stating facts but i can agree that the lecture you were given baga might been able to guide baga rather than trying to make him look like a know nothing which he is not! Remember we are in this forum to helÄret an guide eachother! Not to fight and push eachother down to look superior!

On topic again:
Keep up the good work guys and i cant wait to get playing around and test the alpha when its ready! :D
Dyxlexia and Dyscalcia has its scars...

1%

It is a little bit of hacking, a lot of reverse engineering.

Canon doesn't add these things because they are bad at software development or don't actually go out and use their cameras... unless the HW guys have their own version or something (c'mon... leak it). You can't even fix the problem with money... none of the more expensive cameras are any better: they're still arbitrarily missing features, sometimes even lower tier features.

1dC has mjpeg 4k... so what... where is mjpeg 2k, 1080p? Where is raw HDR? Focus peaking?

Buying these bodies feels like buying a quad core pc that will only run solitaire and notepad. Truthfully 60% of it is probably so that they don't have to deal with end users questions.

ML isn't going to turn your 650D into a FF, turn SD into CF or speed up a physical shutter. These HW differences are what really separate the models in the end.

demetrisag

Don't mean to insult anyone in here but just for the sake of asking.
Isn't reverse engineering another type of a more sophisticate hacking?

Phillips321

Can an admin go through this post and delete all the junk that's appeared in it over the last few posts, including this one!

To summarise:
Hacker - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker Reverse Engineer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineer

Hacking covers a broad spectrum of skills, both good and bad, ML do not 'hack' anything. What they do is reverse engineer the cameras in order to gain a better understanding on how they can run custom code. Hacking, or as it's known in the industry 'Penetration Testing', is my day job - http://www.phillips321.co.uk/

More importantly and back to the point: Unfortunately i have not used ML before and am patiently waiting for its release.... am looking forward to providing testing feedback when it arrives.

blade

in order to get back on the subject:

I have been using the closed alpha, and the good news is that it works as it should. Nu hang, or other noteworthy spoilers. Oldo i do not test and use everything thats seems to be working.

I would donate time to Nanomad, however that seems to be impossible, until someone is able to hack/reverse engineer the time space continuum. I do see some activity on the 650D here https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all/ so that keeps me entertained, as for the majority I have no clue what is going on. I mean...  dietlib atoi ....  or ... allow x++/x-- on floats...  its like reading an other language ..   o wait.. it is!.

Well spring time is here, maybe a new alpha egg will be in the ML nest in the near future.

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

baga

I apologize I was having one of those days where I couldn't retract my fangs and claws. 
I make a big deal about nicely helping new posters stay on the right track and then I fell right into the trap of one of those posters that jump in, in the middle of a thread spew their nonsense and then go back into hiding.   
Sorry again :-[
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Alex_TNT

Quote from: 1% on March 20, 2013, 04:45:49 AM
Canon doesn't add these things because they are bad at software development or don't actually go out and use their cameras...

If Canon are bad at software development then how Sony guys are?
This is my portfolio website www.tntwebpage.com

nanomad

Calm down everyone :)

Just a quick update: With the help of Alex, I've  fixed the last couple of bugs people reported during the "closed doors" alpha testing. I just need to find some time to commit it (as it's on my home PC) and properly re-test everything once again  ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Phillips321

Quote from: nanomad on March 20, 2013, 04:21:28 PM
Calm down everyone :)

Just a quick update: With the help of Alex, I've  fixed the last couple of bugs people reported during the "closed doors" alpha testing. I just need to find some time to commit it (as it's on my home PC) and properly re-test everything once again  ;)

On your home PC???? You're an IT whiz, SSH home!  ;) Cheers though, am looking forward to it (am on holiday this coming weekend so if you've got something out prior to then that would be grand)

33black

Headed home to Chicago on Friday morning for a few days.  Any chance it'll be available by late late Thursday night so I can test it out over the weekend?  I'm not REALLY asking when it will be done, just if I'll be able to test it over the weekend.  :)

alesis_neo

If there is any testing I can do with my 650D I would be pleased to help out if I can, will be making a donation once the alpha is out :)
Canon EOS 650D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | Tamron 11-16mm f/2.8 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4

newsense

Quote from: alesis_neo on March 20, 2013, 11:15:25 PM
If there is any testing I can do with my 650D I would be pleased to help out if I can, will be making a donation once the alpha is out :)

You can try the alpha but have to compile it yourself. I thought about doing it myself but think i'll just wait. You obviously have to have experience compiling software.

camvox

Hello all at ML. What a wonderful international community this is. Why cannot the whole world act as unified as this? its marvellous.  I have owned a 650D for about 6 months and am eagerly awaiting to try out Ml on it. Can you advise me on how i go about downloading software and the safe way to install it and open please? I currently have no work but west assured i will make a donation fro my first job which fingers crossed i have lined up which is a low budget fly on the wall documentary with a band that are about to tour pending the release of their new album albeit on a low budget. ( i am hoping to earn enough to possibly afford a 5Dmk3 if all goes well but thats wishful thinking! Do i simply follow the attachments and other options link below? This is such great timing you guys and i hope to be able to send you an example of my results in the near future!  ;D

loplo

Welcome, you have 29 pages to find out.
TIP: There's no public version, yet.

camvox

i will await for the public version as i am new to all this and do not have the money to replace camera if i screw up with test versions! many thanks once again.
regards, paul

BrightGarden

While following this thread and waiting for a release, i have come across a small prob with my t4i that I was wondering if anybody else sees. The firmware setting to DISABLE touch shutter always self-enables. I think it has something to do when I change modes from M to HDR, it seems to reset the touch shutter.
Anybody else see this problem? Not my imagination as I frequently have to go back into menu and set to DISABLE.
Might lead to ML fixing a prob with core T4i firmware.
Best,
Peter
Peter Gregory - Greater NYC Area
Pictorialist and Documentarist, of my own, small world...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual you have an obligation to be one."

momendo

Well, the 700D is nearly identical to the 650D. I think we can safely say ML should be able to support the 700D without a lot of effort.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i

Francis

Quote from: momendo on March 21, 2013, 06:26:17 AM
Well, the 700D is nearly identical to the 650D. I think we can safely say ML should be able to support the 700D without a lot of effort.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i

Not one single model has been ported without "a lot of effort." You can safely say that the 650D isn't even in alpha stages.

diy-greenenergy

Hi guys, finally yesterday I ordered my 650D, of course after only one day, canon announced the new 700d camera. I hope the ML 650 will not die on the pre-alpha stage.

If you need any help please send me a PM. I am ready to join the team, I have some programing, developing and testing knowledge.
Previously I worked on an Arduino based DSLR controller (developing the hardware and also the software).
400D with 400Plus, 650D with ML, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Canon 55-250mm IS, DIY Macro Ring, Nissin Di622

roterrion

relax, 700D has no major upgrade from 650D. well.. apparently. long live 650D!
EOS 650D, Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 HSM, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm II f1.8, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 32GB UHS-I 300x
http://youtube.com/roterrion
http://vimeo.com/roterrion

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 20, 2013, 04:45:49 AM
Canon doesn't add these things because they are bad at software development or don't actually go out and use their cameras...

Canon doesn't add these things because people buy their cameras anyway, so way take the risk, rock the boat and add features few (in comparison to sales) Rebel users use ... after all everything Canon puts in the fw has to be 100% working, documented and supported, unlike ml. Too many features would even get "too complicated for beginner" reviews, and professionals on 1d(x/c) put reliability over features.

1%

True but they have the option to test things. If its going to confuse new users sure... but new users are buying 6D/5d3?

Oh and that review says 700D has mjpeg. Tilt screen too + one handed controls. Looks pretty win, hopefully they didn't cripple the idle buffer like 650D... those sizes are horrible. Still no crop mode though. Hopefully they fixed UHS to support newer cards.

AshleyAshes

Quote from: 1% on March 21, 2013, 03:59:07 PMOh and that review says 700D has mjpeg.

I find it odd that no one else has mentioned MJPEG other than DPReview, you'd think Canon would have put it in the press release?  'MJpeg for even better video recording!' that seems like a nice marketing line.

Mjpeg would be nice, but I'm not about to get a T5i for it.  I have a T2i and a T4i, a T5i would be an incremental upgrade, my going plan is to save up and get something like a Canon 6D around Black Friday.  Maybe a 7D Mk 2 if it comes out and is attractive.

With all these Canon cameras constantly coming out, do you ML devs ever find yourselves going 'TOO MANY CAMERAS! D:'?

1%

6D video quality is kinda meh. There is a reason they are still selling 600D even after 650d (and 700D) came out...

Hopefully the "hdmi" update addresses resizing issues on 6D too.... would be nice if they backported the mjpeg to you know.. a camera that costs 3x as much?

They are saying 1dc has problems with high motion/high iso and mjpeg and card speed is limited to 100Mb/s... da fuq? Even digic IV cranks out almost 200.

QuoteQuality is amazing in natural daylight portrait, but is less interesting in action high iso scene. They are aware of that and the "limit is the card writting speed" at 100Mb/s.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/canon-eos-1d-c-information/