Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Heh, people should just stop being impatient. Its not like ooops we forgot to make an alpha...

Everyone should be able to post tho. Random people have come up with some good ideas and solutions.

That 40MB/s write is megabytes. Video is megabit. I'm assuming you'll get 100-200 megabits out of 650D especially when write out rate is increased. The setup is similar to digic IV on this and eos M.

The resizing is what is interesting. I'm guessing hd buffer is smaller and there is less moire than on 6D. Also wonder how audio is going to go as you have the datasheet and IC is identified.

t4ilover

How about frames per second? How much can the default 1080p at 30 frames/sec be increased? This will be useful with the HDR feature...

1%

What about sensor defects on low FPS override. 6D isn't the only timer A camera.

Lucas_W

Good thinking t4ilover, I originally tested at 720@60. I'm currently testing 1080@30 at 3x bitrate and it's still recording at 1 minute 48 seconds.

EDIT: It goes for 6 minutes before cutting off.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

joshv

hello, i am new to this post and have recently looked into magic lantern for my canon 650D.

A friend of mine downloaded it yesterday for his 550D and it looks amazing.

i was wondering if anyone has any idea when it will be available for the 650D?

loplo

Welcome. Read trough the previous pages and you'll find out.

newsense

Quote from: joshv on March 16, 2013, 12:31:44 PM
hello, i am new to this post and have recently looked into magic lantern for my canon 650D.

A friend of mine downloaded it yesterday for his 550D and it looks amazing.

i was wondering if anyone has any idea when it will be available for the 650D?

I see you are new so I would suggest reading this post from beginning to end and if you still have the same question I will give you my personal phone number and answer it in person. I want ML and so does everyone else who has a 650D and wants more control. I originally thought ML had some funding but as far as I know it's an unfunded project(this needs to change) and the ML release for the 650D(T4i) is being coded by one person alone. I believe you can donate if you want to help, just please be patient.

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 16, 2013, 03:58:50 AM
Canon should pay these guys. Magic Lantern generates as much interest in canon products as canon's own marketing, maybe more.

If Canon paid them it would be to not write ML.  They want you to pay more for those options in more expensive cameras. :)
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

loplo

That's correct. Canon and other hardware manufacturers are doing the same thing. Building the same products with minor (look) differences and are trying to sell the in different price groups disabling some options in the software. But this is another story.

Chuck J

r&d costs money as does testing and marketing. ml is saving them tons. don't be fooled by the corporate line that they don't want them to make this product or future products. it benefits canon to have these guys working their tails off. it keeps canon at the fore of the consumer digital film industry.

it's no different than making an app for a computer that makes it more productive

StreetShotz

I'm happy to wait on such an awesome product. These guys have done some amazing things here and I look forward to using what they can offer when they can offer it.

Will be making another donation soon and will continue to do so with each job I do with there product.

t4ilover

Quote from: Lucas_W on March 16, 2013, 10:49:49 AM
Good thinking t4ilover, I originally tested at 720@60. I'm currently testing 1080@30 at 3x bitrate and it's still recording at 1 minute 48 seconds.

EDIT: It goes for 6 minutes before cutting off.

Do you think 1080@60 is going to be possible with t4i? it would be nice if this happens  8)

1%

ChodaBoy

I wonder if it would reduce most of the "when will it be ready" posts if the first post was reformatted into a status post?  I am not talking about something fancy, but a simple "Start Here" type of thing.  ???

Taynkbot

Excited for this to be released! This sounds like very stable programming from what I've read... nobody's had their camera blow up. Thanks for all your hard work, I've never heard of this before today but it looks amazing! Although I'm unable to financially support, I'll give all the moral support I can :D Peace!

buckbullstallion

Quote from: Chuck J on March 16, 2013, 03:58:50 AM
Canon should pay these guys. Magic Lantern generates as much interest in canon products as canon's own marketing, maybe more.

I agree, its the only reason I choose Canon over Nikon or Sony. Its because of the people here at ML that I buy Canon.

The only Feature I hope is included on this first Alpha release is Bracketing I would like to see 9 or more if possible and unclipping of the +2/-2 to allow for +3/-3 aeb exposure. that would be the greatest gift for me that I could hope for on release alpha, i would test that feature to the ground.

again all props to the Developer and all the testers that were invited into pre-alpha.

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 16, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
r&d costs money as does testing and marketing. ml is saving them tons. don't be fooled by the corporate line that they don't want them to make this product or future products. it benefits canon to have these guys working their tails off. it keeps canon at the fore of the consumer digital film industry.

it's no different than making an app for a computer that makes it more productive

Definitely not the same thing.  Making an app to make your computer more productive doesn't make your computer ccapable of doing things that you would normally have to upgrade your computer to more expensive model to use .  ML makes your for example 650/d do things that a much more expensive Canon can do.  A $300 laptop can't be made to preform like a $1200 laptop does just with an App.   There are no secret switches to turn on that will do that like a Canon.       

Canon doesn't design or market their cameras as easily hack "sorry App upgradable" ::) so people will buy them. Yes we all like the fact Canons can be hacked but don't think they do that to attracted more customers.  They save money by basically using similar (not necessarily identical) software and hardware in there models.  They just turn on more futures the more expensive camera you purchase.

As far as research and development goes.  Canon knows what their cameras can do but they turn off those features so you buy a more expensive camera to use them.   

Yes the developers create a large amount of their own features for us and make it so we can use what we are locked out of.  I love using and testing ML.  But I can't say it enough Canon did not design their cameras so people can do that.  If I were to bet, less than 1% of canons are purchased because they are ML hackable.  Most likely that same 1% goes for ML users. 
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Chuck J

Quote from: baga on March 19, 2013, 05:27:06 PM
Canon doesn't design or market their cameras as easily hacked so people will buy them. Yes we all like the fact Canons can be hacked but don't think they do that to attracted more customers.  They save money by basically using similar (not necessarily identical) software and hardware in there models.  They just turn on more futures the more expensive camera you purchase.

As far as research and development goes.  Canon knows what their cameras can do but they turn off those features so you buy a more expensive camera to use them.   

Although this is the wrong forum for this topic, clearly some think that "hacking" which ML is NOT doing, is the same thing as developing software code, which ML IS doing.

Canon turns on and off features based on it's ability to get the product to market within the parameters with the research and development available for the given hardware they put into their camera's.

As hardware quality and performance increase so to does the price. It's not a simple turn on or off a feature to make the price higher.

Some of the features that ML provides Canon Camera division is not permitted to provide because no compete laws with Video production.

As for making a computer more productive with software vs buying a faster computer? apples and oranges. no one said ML makes the cameras faster, just more productive.

Chuck J

Quote from: baga on March 19, 2013, 05:27:06 PM
    If I were to bet, less than 1% of canons are purchased because they are ML hackable.  Most likely that same 1% goes for ML users. 

1% of 22.6 billion is how much? I'll take it!

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 19, 2013, 09:05:34 PM
1% of 22.6 billion is how much? I'll take it!

Chuck I think you need to chill out! 

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 19, 2013, 08:50:16 PM
Although this is the wrong forum for this topic, clearly some think that "hacking" which ML is NOT doing, is the same thing as developing software code, which ML IS doing.

Canon turns on and off features based on it's ability to get the product to market within the parameters with the research and development available for the given hardware they put into their camera's.

As hardware quality and performance increase so to does the price. It's not a simple turn on or off a feature to make the price higher.

Some of the features that ML provides Canon Camera division is not permitted to provide because no compete laws with Video production.

As for making a computer more productive with software vs buying a faster computer? apples and oranges. no one said ML makes the cameras faster, just more productive.

Ok maybe hacking isn't the right word.   
But again I was giving an opinion,  I wasn't being rude or a jerk.  I may not be as smart as you and/or apparently not as informed as you.  But up until you I never ran into anyone here like you.  People help each other and give opinions, share ideas.

Start over read the rules, introduce your self in the right forum. 

What this isn't the place for is the way you are acting.

baga

Read the forum rules Chuck.  WE PLAY NICE HERE.

buckbullstallion

I am playing nice.
Sometimes modern society "tarnishes" the term "hacking" by trying to associate this term with terrorism, or illegal acts as defined in  Merriam Websters dictionary: 4:b
    intransitive verb
4.a : to write computer programs for enjoyment
   b : to gain access to a computer illegally
   When I see hacking i see the a form. and also to make something perform better. For instance if I needed a chisel for a job yet only had a screw driver and a grinding stone, I would be able to hack that screwdriver to function more like a chisel. 2. A car that gets 22 MPG if there can be a device that connects to a car that can allow it to get better gas milage or if you can modify the computer in the Car to get better gas mileage -- this is called hacking. And because I own the vehicle there should be nothing wrong with this activity.
    Now the governments and corporations would have you think there is something wrong with "hacking" by saying "All Hacking is Terrorism". this is the Lie from the pit of Hell.  So fear not the terms used to apply a computer generated program for our enjoyment as hacking to gain access to a computer illegally. I see this as modifying a product to make better use of it.

now that we are on the same page, if I use the term Hacking, I am not trying to use the "ohhh thats bad term". as this is clearly what hacking is not. not to me.

buckbullstallion

Sorry I am sure this was not the forum to define what "hacking is to me". but let us pull our efforts here and discuss possibility's of this T4i and what this Digic 5 can do and its limitations as well as be ready willing and able to log reports and tests with the Developers of this great software that we can use. As I have mention the only reason I chose Canon was that ML existed to enable my camera to perform better and more stable.

baga

Quote from: buckbullstallion on March 19, 2013, 11:19:51 PM
I am playing nice.
Sometimes modern society "tarnishes" the term "hacking" by trying to associate this term with terrorism, or illegal acts as defined in  Merriam Websters dictionary: 4:b
    intransitive verb
4.a : to write computer programs for enjoyment
   b : to gain access to a computer illegally
   When I see hacking i see the a form. and also to make something perform better. For instance if I needed a chisel for a job yet only had a screw driver and a grinding stone, I would be able to hack that screwdriver to function more like a chisel. 2. A car that gets 22 MPG if there can be a device that connects to a car that can allow it to get better gas milage or if you can modify the computer in the Car to get better gas mileage -- this is called hacking. And because I own the vehicle there should be nothing wrong with this activity.
    Now the governments and corporations would have you think there is something wrong with "hacking" by saying "All Hacking is Terrorism". this is the Lie from the pit of Hell.  So fear not the terms used to apply a computer generated program for our enjoyment as hacking to gain access to a computer illegally. I see this as modifying a product to make better use of it.

now that we are on the same page, if I use the term Hacking, I am not trying to use the "ohhh thats bad term". as this is clearly what hacking is not. not to me.

Sorry buckbullstallion  My thoughts were being pointed toward Chuck not you.