Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demetrisag

hello there :)

Things are still in the early development stage you see, so you are gonna have to be really really patient.
Also it's a good tip to read this thread if you want to get a general idea as to were you stand at the moment

JannF

early stage... xD
good joke, I'm running the "pre alpha" for a while now, good I was lucky enough to pass the installation, but I can say the ML part without props already runs very well :)

eternity52000

Quote from: JannF on February 16, 2013, 08:52:36 PM
early stage... xD
good joke, I'm running the "pre alpha" for a while now, good I was lucky enough to pass the installation, but I can say the ML part without props already runs very well :)

where is this verson please ?
canon 650D canon 1000D objectif 28-105 f3.5-5.6 usm

baga

Quote from: eternity52000 on February 16, 2013, 10:34:12 PM

They don't want any one else testing right now.  They feel it is to unstable to keep testing.  Just sit patiently,  when they feel a new pre-alpha is ready for more testers they will pass it on.  If you keep bugging them it won't ever get released.  Yes a few of us have it already and most of us have stopped testing like we were told.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

JannF

Quote from: eternity52000 on February 16, 2013, 10:34:12 PM

The installation is very risky and baga for example had a non working camera afterwards...
I was lucky and it worked out of the box and my camera was alive with and without ML.

JamieRollsMedia650D

Any updates ?

Found any issues with the build so far from the previous tests ?

Keep the hard work up :)

baga

Quote from: JamieRollsMedia650D on February 19, 2013, 08:47:11 PM
Any updates ?

Found any issues with the build so far from the previous tests ?

Keep the hard work up :)

It has been awful quiet.  No real news or updates either way.   I'm hoping that's a good sign.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

JamieRollsMedia650D

Quote from: baga on February 20, 2013, 03:45:37 PM
It has been awful quiet.  No real news or updates either way.   I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I know baga thought I try see if everything was going fine

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

JamieRollsMedia650D

Quote from: nanomad on February 20, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
There's work too, but you know?

Nonomad ah I know sorry if it come across wronge..

baga

Quote from: nanomad on February 20, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
There's work too, but you know?

Same here, I think you took it wrong.   I figured you where busy because you haven't really been on and didn't expect you to answer.  I thought others were working on it besides you and thought they would update us.  Just stuff like found this, tweaked that, turned on this function and testing that.  Definitely not how far along are you or when is pre-alfa 2 coming out.     

greenthoughts

I've been interested in ML since reading about it in a Lifehacker article a couple years ago.  I just received my first DSLR (650D/T4i) as a birthday present and have been following this thread daily.  (ML being a possibility on the 650D was a major factor in choosing my first DSLR.)

I was also a bit worried not seeing much activity recently.  Personally, I'm going to try to master the basics available in the stock firmware while this port is being tweaked in the hopes that I can contribute to testing when a new alpha/beta becomes available.

I want to thank nanomad and the rest of the ML community for all of their hard work, I know the end result will definitely be worth the wait! 

hikari

Looking forward for this release.

Waiting patiently...

Alex_TNT

at least they are working on them , rather that others that wanted to hack sony cameras.
Because of that I have to change my sony nex-5n to another, I would like the 650d.

so give them time :)
This is my portfolio website www.tntwebpage.com

cwmane

Hola, I've been following this thread, and I just had a thought that would make the t4i a much better camera.

I have no idea if it's possible or if it's a reasonable idea, but I wish I could swipe the touchscreen with my thumb as my eye is in the viewfinder, as if I was changing the aperture with an aperture wheel on a non-Rebel canon.  So, the touch screen would just replace an aperture wheel when I'm looking in the viewfinder and getting ready for a shot. 

I've never used ML, and forgive me if this is far out of the realm of possibility. It's just an idea that I thought might help :)  I wanna thank you guys for doing what you're doing, we all appreciate it!

BrightGarden

Thanks to the ML folks for keeping up the great work. While we lie patiently on the sidelines, here, I have a question about features of ML on other cameras, perhaps the 600D/T3i.  One feature I am looking for is a real mirror lockup to quiet the camera down for photographing wildlife or during meetings. Is that a feature in ML for other cameras? The way mirror lockup works on the T4i is that it locks the mirror up temporarily until you release the shutter, to eliminate camera shake during imaging. But as soon as the image is made on the sensor, the mirror returns to the down position - quite loud.
Peter Gregory - Greater NYC Area
Pictorialist and Documentarist, of my own, small world...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual you have an obligation to be one."

BrightGarden

Quote from: cwmane on February 22, 2013, 03:56:56 AM

I have no idea if it's possible or if it's a reasonable idea, but I wish I could swipe the touchscreen with my thumb as my eye is in the viewfinder, ...

Interesting - the weak link I find in the 650D/t4i user interface is having to hold the aperture button down on the back of the camera to change aperture in Manual mode, so i kinda agree with your thinking here. It's a rub-your-head-pat-your-stomach move to adjust aperture.
Peter Gregory - Greater NYC Area
Pictorialist and Documentarist, of my own, small world...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual you have an obligation to be one."

baga

Quote from: BrightGarden on February 22, 2013, 05:07:51 AM
Interesting - the weak link I find in the 650D/t4i user interface is having to hold the aperture button down on the back of the camera to change aperture in Manual mode, so i kinda agree with your thinking here. It's a rub-your-head-pat-your-stomach move to adjust aperture.

I thought only I felt that way.  If you are holding down the shutter 1/2 way it's a 3 fingered pain.

tommix

Quote from: cwmane on February 22, 2013, 03:56:56 AM
Hola, I've been following this thread, and I just had a thought that would make the t4i a much better camera.

I have no idea if it's possible or if it's a reasonable idea, but I wish I could swipe the touchscreen with my thumb as my eye is in the viewfinder, as if I was changing the aperture with an aperture wheel on a non-Rebel canon.  So, the touch screen would just replace an aperture wheel when I'm looking in the viewfinder and getting ready for a shot. 

I've never used ML, and forgive me if this is far out of the realm of possibility. It's just an idea that I thought might help :)  I wanna thank you guys for doing what you're doing, we all appreciate it!

When you are near viewfinder - lc shuts down so no input is working. SO i guess this would be HARD task to allow lcd work but at the same time only for custom functions (need to take over other built-in functions override them so you can grab the swipe events and do stuff with it.

InFocusAV

I just read this WHOLE THREAD front to back (as it has been a while since I have kept up with where we are) and I'm more lost than I was before I read it! All this talk about all these features I don't understand, boot flag this and dumping that...I'm LOST! The features I DO need and DO understand are audio meters in video mode (why Canon didn't include this is beyond me), zebras, and longer recording times because quite frankly, 29:59 doesn't cut it for a wedding videographer like myself. Does anybody have any enlightening advice or do I need to read that "answers" thread I read about somewhere? I have been longing for ML since I bought my camera in August.

baga

Quote from: InFocusAV on February 24, 2013, 06:57:37 PM
I just read this WHOLE THREAD front to back (as it has been a while since I have kept up with where we are) and I'm more lost than I was before I read it! All this talk about all these features I don't understand, boot flag this and dumping that...I'm LOST! The features I DO need and DO understand are audio meters in video mode (why Canon didn't include this is beyond me), zebras, and longer recording times because quite frankly, 29:59 doesn't cut it for a wedding videographer like myself. Does anybody have any enlightening advice or do I need to read that "answers" thread I read about somewhere? I have been longing for ML since I bought my camera in August.

Here here is a start:  http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide    http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

AshleyAshes

Quote from: InFocusAV on February 24, 2013, 06:57:37 PM

Yeah.  Get something other than a DSLR for filming wedding photography. o.O  Particularly as you'll see the sensor over heat and the camera shut itself down after an hour or so (Depending on environmental conditions of course).  But yeah, if you're trying to be a wedding videographer, get some sorta run of the mill prosumer camcorder instead of a DSLR. o.O

Gorilla

Quote from: AshleyAshes on February 25, 2013, 04:36:28 AM
Yeah.  Get something other than a DSLR for filming wedding photography. o.O  Particularly as you'll see the sensor over heat and the camera shut itself down after an hour or so (Depending on environmental conditions of course).  But yeah, if you're trying to be a wedding videographer, get some sorta run of the mill prosumer camcorder instead of a DSLR. o.O

I don't know, I've known people who do wedding videos with DSLR's and they make some amazing stuff. There are definite advantages to a camcorder, but definite advantages to a DSLR as well.
Canon T4i - Canon 50mm 1.4 - Samyang 35mm 1.4

baga

Quote from: Gorilla on February 25, 2013, 11:24:07 AM
I don't know, I've known people who do wedding videos with DSLR's and they make some amazing stuff. There are definite advantages to a camcorder, but definite advantages to a DSLR as well.

I've been to two weddings in the last year or so as a guest and the Pro photographers used DSLR's for videos.  It was after the last one I decided it was time to upgrade to one.  When the T4i/650D was released I knew that was the one for me.