Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loplo

Honestly I'd like to wait for the Alpha version. I really don't want to brick my camera. Yesterday I almost bricked my phone - bad luck is after me these days.
I have one more question. Is there a way to format the card in the camera to get rid of the ML? Right now If I format the card in the camera, ML catches me.
If not, I still can format it via PC.

nanomad

Yes, start the camera with SET pressed, this skips ML startup
After that do in-camera LOW level format of the card

If that fails, disable the bootflag using EOSCard then do an in-camera low level format
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

loplo

Craize

@nanomad: so should i stop testing the prealpha now and uninstall ML or can I go on testing it?
I had the same install issue like baga but everything seems to work fine.

and what did you mean with: "Easy enough... Forgot to tell you that you need the ML folder from one of the nightly builds"
should i download the newest nightly (magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Jan31.60D.550D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.1100D) and put the ML folder on my SDcard ?

I am very grateful to you for your work nanomad!
Canon EOS 650D - Magic Lantern | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | Canon 18-55mm Kit-Lense | Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.7

baga

Quote from: loplo on January 31, 2013, 10:48:37 AM
Hey guys, back after 12hrs of internet outage.
@baga, no I did not magane to do the firmware dumping as required
@nanomad, what is causing the font - ooops issue?
BTW, I've tried to boot the camera with the ML, it runs, the EV is always overlaying ML. Live view was very laggy and I did not manage to record more than 15 seconds.
I'm looking forward to see the alpha.

Same thing, Before this last crash I could only record about 15 seconds.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

baga

Quote from: nanomad on January 31, 2013, 06:43:15 AM
Easy enough... Forgot to tell you that you need the ML folder from one of the nightly builds

What should I try next?  I haven't looked for the file that you mentioned I was missing.  I haven't re-inserted the batteries since we talked yesterday.
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

ProfessorX

I was having the same issues as everyone else. Managed to get past the "oops" part of the install.   Sometimes I did notice, (this has already mentioned I believe)  Once I booted the camera magic lanterns features wouldn't load at all, magic lantern would load, (I could pull up the menu up the trash can) but none of the features would work. I would have to enter magic lantern's menu and then exit to get anything to come up. I assume this isn't normal operation?
I think this has been noted as well, Once I power down the camera I have to leave the sd-card in or the canon updater will prompt me to insert an sd-card with an update. I assume this is tied to the bootflag issue? 

baga

I never get the ML options to come up.

baga

Quote from: blade on January 30, 2013, 06:30:17 PM
I did see that font addr bad too, but it did work... did you put the camera in M on the dial wheel (my error the first time)? 
Yep

nanomad

So people, forget whatever I said you should do (I wasn't clear enough probabably).

I would like everyone who tried the pre-alpha1 to do this test and report back:
- Remove the SD card
- Power on the camera

Does the camera boot up normally? Or is it stuck asking for a firmware update?

List of affected users so far (can't boot the camera without an SD card):
- Baga
- ProfessorX (correct?)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ProfessorX

Yes, I'm sorry I missed that instruction :/

baga

This is what I get.  It does freeze on that screen.

breaker

I can boot the camera normally without the "ML SD-Card".
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

roterrion

Quote from: breaker on January 31, 2013, 04:19:11 PM
I can boot the camera normally without the "ML SD-Card".

same here, just "no card in camera" default notification from canon
EOS 650D, Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 HSM, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm II f1.8, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 32GB UHS-I 300x
http://youtube.com/roterrion
http://vimeo.com/roterrion

baga

Quote from: ProfessorX on January 31, 2013, 04:03:51 PM
Yes, I'm sorry I missed that instruction :/

I can't remember, are you using a Mac too?

ProfessorX

blade

If i remove the sd card the camera boots normaly win xp Here
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

baga

Jseeker

No Problem - just reads - "No Card in Camera", but does boot.

ximes

Boots normally, only "no card in camera" notification.

Walter Schulz

Power switch set to "OFF", removed card, closed card slot cover, power switch set to "ON":
Displayed "Keine Speicherkarte" = "no card in camera" -> No problem to report from here.

Ciao, Walter

breaker

Updated this post on Page 18/ #437

I'm back to testing since my Camera seems unaffected by the bootflag trouble.

Latest edit will in BOLD

General.
Info button in menu: Some of the feature info's bring up another feature in most ut the menus.
Battery usage: Can't say for shure, but i think it uses a bit more battery... I will test! Test complete. Could not see any higher battery use with ML loaded. Tested in LV/standby with RGB histogram enabled when "Magic Off" and Zebras (2..98), Focus Peak, Spotmeter and RGB histogram enabled in ML.   :)

Testing of Expo Menu.
White Balance:   Not Working (Props I suppose)
ISO:                      Not Working (Props I suppose)
Shutter:               Not Working (Props I suppose)
Aperture:             Not Working (Props I suppose)
PictureStyle:       Not Working (Props I suppose)
ML Auto ISO:       Working
Expo. Lock:          Not Working (Props I suppose)
Expo. Presets:     Not working (But the function seems to work when values/props can be changed)
Exp. Override:     Not Working (No 1/25s and no 1/8000s. Dont know about DOF...)

Testing of Overlay Menu.
Global Draw:    Working
Zebras:             Working
Focus Peak:     Working
Magic Zoom:    Partly working (Green Bars and splitscreen dont works - Confirmed by Nanomad in Page 14/ #349)
Cropmarks:      Working
Ghost Image:   Working
Spotmeter:       Working
False Color:      Working
Histogram:       Working
Waveform:       Working (but not when Magic Zoom is activated)
Vectorscope:    Working (but not when Magic Zoom is activated)

Testing of Movie menu.
Bit Rate:               Working (Tested only CBR. With my card (Sandisk 45MB/s) I could shoot up to 2.8x
Time Indicator:      Working
Movie Logging:       Working
Movie Restart:       Not working (not after 29.59 minutes and not after CBR bitrate to high stop)
REC/STBY notif:     Working
Movie REC key:      Working
Force LiveView:      Not Working (Tried with "Always" and no lens on, had to press LV button anyway...)
Shutter Lock:         Not Working
FPS override:         Working
FPS ramping:          Not tested
HDR video:             Working  :)

I have tested most of the Shoot menu.
Adv.Bracketing:        Not working. It takes pictures, but i can't get any exposure changes.
Intervalometer:        Working
TimelapseRamping:    Not tested yet.
Bulb Timer:              Not working. Can't find any Bulb setting on the 650D - not working on NightPortrait.
Motion Detect:         Working
Silent Picture:          Maybe Working... Can take pictures in every mode and the pictures get stored on SD, but YUV422 Convertor fails  to open them (Unknown image size: 1226880)
Mirror Lockup:          Partly Working. Don't think Handheld was working as the picture was taken instantly even with 1 sec delay.
Flash tweeks:          Not tested yet.

I will update this post as my test continues... I'll post a new post when updating the testing.

EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

baga

If there is anything you'ld like me to try?  I'll be leaving to pick up my grandson.  I always take my laptop I'll be taking my camera also. 
So if you do could you PM instructions like format, macboot, files etc.

Ivarss

Quote from: loplo on January 31, 2013, 10:48:37 AM
Hey guys, back after 12hrs of internet outage.
@baga, no I did not magane to do the firmware dumping as required
@nanomad, what is causing the font - ooops issue?
BTW, I've tried to boot the camera with the ML, it runs, the EV is always overlaying ML. Live view was very laggy and I did not manage to record more than 15 seconds.
I'm looking forward to see the alpha.

Were you able to record longer before havibg ML on the SD card?

Also remove the card from the camera and check what Class your SD card is! To record HD fot longer periods you should have an Class 10 SD card!

Hope that i van be as much assistance as possible even without the Pre-Alpha1! :)
Dyxlexia and Dyscalcia has its scars...

simolo

hey Guys !
sorry I cant test the pre-alpha !
I'm a student and i bought the camera with all the money i saved !! sorry !