Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pemstudio

Seanoneil72

Hello,

I just wanted to pop in and say that this is very exciting for me as a new t4i / 650d owner (upgrading from my trusty 300d I got close to 10 years ago.)

I did some research into the t4i before I bought it, but in all of my research into the t2i, t3i, and t4i, I had never come across any information on magic lantern. If I had I may have bought a different camera but it seems that the t4i has potential for magic lantern to make it pretty special.

I still know little about magic lantern, so I wanted to ask if some of my hopes could be considered realistic. I have read a few posts asking for the ability of the 10x digital zoom for video to be unlocked like the t3i and would like to add my voice to that request, if such a thing is possible.

Some maybe more complicated features to implement that would be great (again I don't know how realistic some of my hopes are so take that into consideration) would be to unlock the ability to get 1080p60 video and maybe a better downsampling script to eliminate the heavy moire patterns that show up in video. If we are really lucky maybe there will be a way to make the continuous auto focus actually useful.

Maybe opening up some more control over HDR would be possible too. Anyways, I plan to follow this thread for a while and see where things go. Thank you to everyone working on magic lantern for this camera, it certainly gives us t4i owners something to look forward to.

Thank you!

buckbullstallion

I am thrilled. I would like to more brackets 5 7 9. and maybe +-3 on the bracketing. thanks for your efforts all who are working on this. I am looking forward to ALPHA.

fööniks

Is there a point of getting class 10 UHS-I (95MB/s) card insead of  class 10 SDXC (45MB/s).Price is double here. Does there will be video features that can use the speed of 95MB/s or 45MB/s is good enough?

1%

UHS card is always better for video, especially now that the cameras support UHS speeds.

nanomad

I've got a UHS card and I can defintely feel the difference (especially when shooting bursts in RAW+L)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

fööniks

actually I made a mistake, for example Sandisk makes 3 different speed UHS SD cards: 95,45 ja 30MB/s. The first one is quite expensive, but can Magic Lantern benefit from it?

kazeone

in Rapid Burst or "sports mode" you will certainly see a difference with the faster write speeds, your camera will be able to make more rapid shots with out having to slow down to wait for the buffer to unload onto the SD card. I have the Extreme 16gb but I plan to get a 32gb Extreme Pro eventually.

Jockerl

The problem is the small picture-buffer. I can only take 3 raw+L shots in a row with my 650d
A fast card can´t compensate that .

1%

I bought the patriot knockoff of the 90MB card. Real performance would have to be tested in the camera. With these sleazy manufacturers I feel the specs are gibberish. Digic IV is stuck at 20MB but the UHS card will do it longer. Not impressed with increase from 6D tho. 600D seemed to do almost as well.... although on the UHS card audio doesn't stop even with 100Mbps video going.

In the DM log when you record a clip it tells you how fast the files were written out, at least it did on 600D. But don't buy sandisk, their UHS pro card is like $200, others have it for a 1/3 or a 1/4 of that. Look at the sustained write spec if they aren't scared to list it.

AshleyAshes

UHS-I would be pretty useful with increasing the bitrate of video recorded.  Class 10 cards hit the bottleneck pretty quickly.  I think UHS-I is required media for All-I compression on the 6D and 5D for this reason (Assuming you're not using CF on the 5D)

1%

I can do all I just fine on non-UHS cards. People tested class IV cards that did the full 20MB/s. Its really hit or miss and you have to read reviews and tests to find out the real sustained write speed. The burst speeds are lies.

nanomad

I can probably enable 5D3 CF card test and see how the 650D does with a UHS-I card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

The 5D3 card test is not for speed, is for diagnosing a bug.

You have a card speed test under Debug menu on all cameras (including the good old 5Dc).

Finn.Boyle

Hey all! First post on ML forums :D and I too eagerly await ML for the 650D.
I'm fairly new to ML, never having used it before but read a fair bit so people talking about write speeds of their cards leads me to wonder if ML would ever be able to increase the buffer on the 650D?

P.s is the direct 650D donate system setup yet? I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can.

1ricca

One of the first minor things I would love to see possible on the T4i is Kelvin WB control. It's a major buzz-kill that could change this baby into a good companion for my 5dMk3.

Has this been done on any other models where there wasn't out of the box Kelvin WB control?

nanomad

Quote from: a1ex on January 11, 2013, 09:43:48 AM
The 5D3 card test is not for speed, is for diagnosing a bug.

You have a card speed test under Debug menu on all cameras (including the good old 5Dc).

Ah ok, that's the test I had in mind btw. I was sure it wasn't there on the 650D but I must have missed it

1%

You guys should see if you can use ivaparams on 650D or if you're stuck with setting QP and the other options.

Can have a UHS slice vs UHS ivaparam showdown :)

nanomad

Quote from: 1% on January 11, 2013, 06:24:53 PM
You guys should see if you can use ivaparams on 650D or if you're stuck with setting QP and the other options.

Can have a UHS slice vs UHS ivaparam showdown :)

Nope, just good old QP. IVA probably comes from the FullFrame branch

pemstudio

When you are planning a trial version?

nanomad

More seriously, I'm checking the feautres right now to see what's working and what's not

jplxpto

Nanomad, I hope to soon be able to help you in whatever way necessary.

1%

I'm almost ready to release on 6D.

Need:
* New Peaking on LV not just image review.
* Stop ASIF DAC/ADC properly
* More Memory
* Lens info/ISO display and setting fixed.

Pretty much everything else works. Audio just really needs monitor mode as AGC can be turned off.

nanomad

Card speed tests
Write, buffer=128k -> 18.2 MB/s
Read, buffer=128k -> 20.4 MB/s

Write, buffer=16384k -> I couldn't read it properly but it was around 45

pemstudio

I wish you success in tests and I count for future works.