Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AshleyAshes

Quote from: 1% on March 21, 2013, 07:51:56 PM
6D video quality is kinda meh.

I have need for the ISO performance it offers and the 5D is rather costly.  I'm shooting a short film, police procedural, on a T2i running ML (Have a T4i waiting for ML as well) and for much of the shooting it's fine, but in a few locations we couldn't control the light enough and we wanted a wider depth of field.  We were left using a shallower depth of field because we needed a wider aperture to deal with the fact that the T2i gets pretty noisy and loses dynamic range above ISO 800.  The scene is lackluster as a result cause we're chasing focus while characters walk and talk down a hall.

That said, this is also why I have my eyes on what the 70D or 7D Mk 2 could offer.

Chuck J

Quote from: baga on March 20, 2013, 12:09:57 AM
Lets start fresh. :)  What version of ML are you using in your T4i/650d or are you using another model camera?  Maybe that's why we have different opinions.  Also quite a few of features ML can do haven't been activated yet and maybe that's why are opinions differ.

I'm not really a jerk. I just play one on TV. My T4i/650d is without my beloved Magic Lantern until it comes out of pre-alpha hiding. Prior to my T4i I used a T2i with Magic Lantern. I very much miss Magic Lantern and purchased my T4i hoping and praying that one day it too would be graced with the powers of this software, hackware, or whatever you guys want to call it.

To clear up my rantings from before I love canon cameras and I love them even more with Magic Lantern. I will defend them both and sometimes it makes me sound like a jerk. I'm sorry for that. :-\

Taynkbot

Just a suggestion, I thought that if you could add a setting that pulls the mirror up before taking the picture; that could reduce camera shake. Maybe add a setting that let you decide how much time to keep the mirror up before taking the picture.
JUST an idea from a guy that has NO experience in this but knows it's a challenging thing to do. So if you think this would be worth adding, that'd be awesome. But I definitely don't expect you to do it if you don't want to :D I'm very happy with all the features you've already added and I don't want to be a pain. Thanks for all your work!

@BrightGarden, I just turned my setting, touch to shoot, off, went to HDR and back, but the setting was still off. I guess I don't have that problem. However, I have noticed that it's turned on a couple of times without me setting it... I thought I was losing my mind, I guess not.

dngrhm

Quote from: Taynkbot on March 22, 2013, 03:36:21 AM
Just a suggestion, I thought that if you could add a setting that pulls the mirror up before taking the picture; that could reduce camera shake. Maybe add a setting that let you decide how much time to keep the mirror up before taking the picture.
JUST an idea from a guy that has NO experience in this but knows it's a challenging thing to do. So if you think this would be worth adding, that'd be awesome. But I definitely don't expect you to do it if you don't want to :D I'm very happy with all the features you've already added and I don't want to be a pain. Thanks for all your work!

Menu -> WRENCH:4 ->Custom Functions -> Mirror Lockup -> Enable

1st shutter press locks mirror up, 2nd takes shot. You can also use with timer.  Mirror will lock up on shutter press then take the picture 2 or 10 seconds later.  Check out page 140 in the Canon t4i manual for more info.

Thanks devs and testers for all the work!
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

1ricca

Quote from: Taynkbot on March 22, 2013, 03:36:21 AM

@BrightGarden, I just turned my setting, touch to shoot, off, went to HDR and back, but the setting was still off. I guess I don't have that problem. However, I have noticed that it's turned on a couple of times without me setting it... I thought I was losing my mind, I guess not.

It's not a bad idea at all. Nikons have had this feature for quite some time, at least since the d5000, called steady mode or something along those lines. Its very good for shooting slow shutter, so that the shutter itself doesn't slightly vibrate your shot. Good call. Not a top 10 priority kind of thing, but great idea.

1ricca

Quote from: diy-greenenergy on March 21, 2013, 08:41:27 AM
Hi guys, finally yesterday I ordered my 650D, of course after only one day, canon announced the new 700d camera. I hope the ML 650 will not die on the pre-alpha stage.

If you need any help please send me a PM. I am ready to join the team, I have some programing, developing and testing knowledge.
Previously I worked on an Arduino based DSLR controller (developing the hardware and also the software).

That totally burns! My main concern is getting a proper build with Kelvin WB controls on the 650d before its abandoned (if it gets abandoned). Also, the 700d will likely not take a whole lot of work for the port from wherever the current build of 650d ML is at the time of that project start, considering it's basically a T2i-T3i type of jump. The 700d is basicallty a slightly tuned 650d.

Why the hell did Canon have to make a t5i so damn fast?!

Taynkbot

dngrhm, hey, thanks! I forgot about that trick. For some reason I was thinking it wasn't working with my remote. I guess it flips up two seconds before and then takes the picture.
Anyway, thanks again :D

Seanoneil72

Quote from: 1ricca on March 23, 2013, 03:35:40 AM
That totally burns! My main concern is getting a proper build with Kelvin WB controls on the 650d before its abandoned (if it gets abandoned). Also, the 700d will likely not take a whole lot of work for the port from wherever the current build of 650d ML is at the time of that project start, considering it's basically a T2i-T3i type of jump. The 700d is basicallty a slightly tuned 650d.

Looks like the same camera but they put back the crop zoom, that is probably the most irritating thing of all unless they offer a firmware update to enable it in the t4i.

newsense

Quote from: 1ricca on March 23, 2013, 03:35:40 AM

Right. I finally got my first DSLR after wanting one for about 2 years. Got a T4i a little over a month ago and haven't even got to really use it yet and now the T5i. I really hope ML for the T4i doesn't get scrapped, if that happens i'd have to sell my T4i for a loss. Yeah ML being in development for the T4i was honestly a pretty big factor when I purchased.

newsense

Quote from: Seanoneil72 on March 23, 2013, 04:40:27 AM
Looks like the same camera but they put back the crop zoom, that is probably the most irritating thing of all unless they offer a firmware update to enable it in the t4i.

What? They added crop zoom to T5i? I really didn't know about moire when I made my purchase. Would be really nice if that firmware update actually happened but I doubt it.

Edit: Maybe this can be done through ML(can't believe I didn't think of this before)? if so it is a feature that will be implemented in the 650D ML release?

a1ex

If crop mode is in T5i, I wouldn't advise you to add it in ML ;)

diy-greenenergy

Yesterday I got my 650D but, unfortunately, it is affected by the rubber grip problem.  Be carefull, affected cameras are still on the market!.
After I contacted the seller they offered me an instant replacement.
400D with 400Plus, 650D with ML, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Canon 55-250mm IS, DIY Macro Ring, Nissin Di622

Chuck J

oli650d

8) I am too impatient to use on my 650D ML provided that it does not too late
I board which makes a
good luck to devlopeur
Eos m , Eos 70d canon 18-135 STM :canon 50mm f1.8 : tamron  SP 70-300 f4/5.6 VC : SD eye-fi 4Go/Sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s 8Go:flash yongnuo YN565EX / YN560 II: tube extention macro 31;21;13mm : tamron SP 90mm DI f2.8:sigma 17-50 ex f2.8: efm 22mm...70D.111A

1%

If they added crop and mjpeg it means they are listening.... anyways they aren't going to make 650D anymore.

baga

Quote from: Chuck J on March 22, 2013, 01:53:58 AM
I'm not really a jerk. I just play one on TV. My T4i/650d is without my beloved Magic Lantern until it comes out of pre-alpha hiding. Prior to my T4i I used a T2i with Magic Lantern. I very much miss Magic Lantern and purchased my T4i hoping and praying that one day it too would be graced with the powers of this software, hackware, or whatever you guys want to call it.

To clear up my rantings from before I love canon cameras and I love them even more with Magic Lantern. I will defend them both and sometimes it makes me sound like a jerk. I'm sorry for that. :-\

Same here. :)
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Taynkbot

I really hope you guys continue to finish ML for the T4i. The T5i doesn't look like that much of an upgrade from the T4i and I don't want to have to waste the money on it.
Just letting you know I'd REALLY appreciate if you continued programming the T4i's ML. You guys are awesome!

baga

Quote from: Taynkbot on March 23, 2013, 09:13:50 PM
I really hope you guys continue to finish ML for the T4i. The T5i doesn't look like that much of an upgrade from the T4i and I don't want to have to waste the money on it.
Just letting you know I'd REALLY appreciate if you continued programming the T4i's ML. You guys are awesome!

It sucks they came out with the T5i before they even upgraded the T4i firmware.  Why couldn't they have called it the T4iV or something. lol
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

Taynkbot

@Baga

I know right? It seems more like a firmware update than a new camera. A new 360 turn-able dial? A new body finish? Come on! I really hope that the lack of work they put into the T5i went into the 7DMKII.

ChodaBoy

Quote from: newsense on March 23, 2013, 04:43:04 AM
Right. I finally got my first DSLR after wanting one for about 2 years. Got a T4i a little over a month ago and haven't even got to really use it yet and now the T5i. I really hope ML for the T4i doesn't get scrapped, if that happens i'd have to sell my T4i for a loss. Yeah ML being in development for the T4i was honestly a pretty big factor when I purchased.

Same boat here.  I waited a few months to purchase my T4i because of the grip/rubber issues.  Now that I have had it a couple of months, a new model gets released.  This always seems to happen when I finally buy something expensive.  *sigh*  Oh well, at least now that I have my first DSLR, I can start learning.

newsense

Quote from: ChodaBoy on March 24, 2013, 06:49:38 AM
Same boat here.  I waited a few months to purchase my T4i because of the grip/rubber issues.  Now that I have had it a couple of months, a new model gets released.  This always seems to happen when I finally buy something expensive.  *sigh*  Oh well, at least now that I have my first DSLR, I can start learning.

I realized I had an extended return period due to being a silver member at my retailer and could have returned my T4i but I got it for such a steal at $639.99 new with 18-55mm lens plus the only added features the 700D has is really just digital zoom and MJPEG from what I hear. Even if I payed full price I think i'd keep the 650D just for ML since it's close to Alpha now and it was a big selling point for me.

alaricoxagaras

QuoteJust a suggestion, I thought that if you could add a setting that pulls the mirror up before taking the picture; that could reduce camera shake. Maybe add a setting that let you decide how much time to keep the mirror up before taking the picture.
JUST an idea from a guy that has NO experience in this but knows it's a challenging thing to do. So if you think this would be worth adding, that'd be awesome. But I definitely don't expect you to do it if you don't want to  I'm very happy with all the features you've already added and I don't want to be a pain. Thanks for all your work!

This guy have a great idea! other one said that yes, the mirror lock up is on the t4i, however is not the live view mode a permanent mirror lock up? but I wonder, WHY, just WHY! in live view the mirror have to at the end of each photo "SLAP!!!" going down and then "SLAP!!!" going up?  in the process disturbing people. I consider myself a candid shooters and this does not help me. I'm in live view mode!!!why the camera have to do this?

Is there a way to keep the mirror up in live mode and keep it there as long I use live view? just imagine the smooth sounds of the shutter without the slap of the mirror.

If not, I think this would be a good idea magic lantern for candid shooters, this would me save to buy another camera

nanomad

Btw i got feedback from the testers for the second closed doors alpha. No major bugs so far but it needs a couple of more tweaks
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

baga

Quote from: Taynkbot on March 24, 2013, 12:49:12 AM
@Baga

I know right? It seems more like a firmware update than a new camera. A new 360 turn-able dial? A new body finish? Come on! I really hope that the lack of work they put into the T5i went into the 7DMKII.

I don't think I'd like a 360 dial.  I read some where about it was over the pealing and faded grips.  Sounds like a lame excuse to me.   I haven't read all the specs but a firmware upgrade and body is all I see too.  If it's smaller and/or lighter I'd hate it.  I have the battery grip just to give the T4i some bulk.  I also like my larger kit lens.
I like my T4i and will keep thinking of it as an upgraded to the T5i. lol

1%

On 6D the 360 dial has a button in the middle. you have to press it to turn the dial. That part is not so convenient.