M42 lenses with AF chip?

Started by stanalekseev, November 24, 2012, 06:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanalekseev

First of all:
Hello everybody,

I'm new here - new to the DSLR world as well (just bought a Canon T3i a week ago).
I don't have experience with cameras and shooting but I have a couple of years of experience freelancing in post-production, so the field is not entirely new to me.

Now to the question:
Does anybody have any experience using M42 lenses with ML?
Can you suggest should I get an adapter with AF chip and whether it will do any good with ML?
I have a Helios 44 and a Jupiter 135mm lenses, both are USSR made M42 old school lenses.
I have an ordinary adapter as well - both work but I do not get all the benefits of the DSLR or ML.
I guess the feature that I would like the most to be present is Magic Focus.
Just to clarify my level of noobness - I'm aware the AF is not Auto Focus and that mechanized features from the Canon kit lens would not be present in the M42 lenses :)
My understanding is that the camera will confirm that I'm in focus (just like using manual focus with the kit lens) - but will it work with ML?
Another issues is the color shift it is way colder than it looks in Live view - not entirely sure what to make of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1%

The chips light the af confirm lights in the viewfinder. You should still be able to focus in live view with magic zoom with no adapter.

stanalekseev

Just tried it out and it works - thank you!
The idea of changing the trigger mode did not even cross my mind... need to sleep more!