Sescom audio monitoring on the 550D - Need help

Started by ROFLT2i, November 23, 2012, 05:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROFLT2i

I'm running ML on a Canon 550D. I'd like to monitor the audio as I'm recording (using a Rode Video Mic), so I purchased the Sescom cable (for the 550D) and a pair of low impedance headphones. I've turned "Audio Monitoring" on in ML. I hear audio in the headphones, but only through the right channel. Left speaker in the headphones is silent. I haven't seen any other reports about this problem. Total amateur here, so apologies if I've missed something obvious.
Canon 550D / ML v1.0.9 / Rode Video Mic

Malcolm Debono

Make sure you have the audio source (from ML's audio menu) set to 'external stereo'.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

ROFLT2i

Thanks - It is set to external stereo. Any other ideas? Today I will test the "old school" approach and use the RCA cable that came with the camera to see if that works. Obviously, that's what I was hoping to avoid, but I need to get stereo when monitoring audio.

UPDATE: I tested the old school approach (RCA Cable from camera to adapter, to another adapter, to my headphones) and I got stereo sound in my headphones. Success. So, it's only the SESCOM cable that's giving me the mono sound. But I'd still rather use the more elegant SESCOM cable as my permanent solution.

Any ideas on why the SESCOM cable is only giving me sound in one ear?
Canon 550D / ML v1.0.9 / Rode Video Mic

Datadogie

I butchered my A/V cable and put a 3.5 mm plug on the end and send it through one of those Filo headphones amplifiers.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

nanomad

Quote from: ROFLT2i on November 23, 2012, 03:37:36 PM
Any ideas on why the SESCOM cable is only giving me sound in one ear?

Ask SESCOM, looks like their cable isn't engineered properly to work with ML ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on November 23, 2012, 08:18:51 AM
'external stereo'.

i dont have this seting in ML 2.3V..

i have only one Audio option in ML ,,, AudioMeters ON or OFf nothing more.

im not sure why this is so big secret...why i dont have all setings what u guys showing at  tutorials or own promo video..

im here few days and i ask same question abotue few times..HEllo ??

how  i can get lastest version ? 2.3 rc1 or rc2 ?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: MzytengaM on December 02, 2012, 03:42:57 PM
i dont have this seting in ML 2.3V..

i have only one Audio option in ML ,,, AudioMeters ON or OFf nothing more.

im not sure why this is so big secret...why i dont have all setings what u guys showing at  tutorials or own promo video..

im here few days and i ask same question abotue few times..HEllo ??

how  i can get lastest version ? 2.3 rc1 or rc2 ?

ML's audio features are still not available in the official 2.3 release for the 600D since it uses a different chip. There are some nightly (experimental) builds which have these features though.

I don't understand what else is missing besides the Audio features (as explained above).

Regarding the latest version, as I've already told you a couple of times, RC1 and RC2 are pre-release versions (release candidates). The latest version is the one available from the Download page.
C100 & 6D shooter

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on December 02, 2012, 04:38:40 PM
ML's audio features are still not available in the official 2.3 release for the 600D since it uses a different chip. There are some nightly (experimental) builds which have these features though.

I don't understand what else is missing besides the Audio features (as explained above).

Regarding the latest version, as I've already told you a couple of times, RC1 and RC2 are pre-release versions (release candidates). The latest version is the one available from the Download page.

sry Malcolm ..:/ ,,,i understand you .. so its mean not everyone can have all setings in ML...

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: MzytengaM on December 02, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
so its mean not everyone can have all setings in ML...

Why not? Except for the audio features, the rest should be identical. And if you really need the audio features you can download a nightly build.
C100 & 6D shooter

scrax

MzytengaM, the 2.3 was released before 600D audio chip was usable in ML. Since ported 600D never had audio controls (but AGC is switchable on camera).
Lately audio support was added also to 600D and so it's here for everybody in the nighties, but as such it's not yet tested like 2.3 is.
2.4 will have audio support for 600D
other feature no more in ML were removed from all body for security reasons mainly
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-