EOS M ** Alpha 1 ** [FIXED][DOWNLOAD]

Started by coutts, November 23, 2012, 12:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DnA

Quote from: coutts on January 09, 2013, 03:57:00 PM
you can turn off exposure simulation from the canon menu iirc

There is no option to turn off exposure simulation in EOS M. I've found a solution to overcome that problem, instead of using manual i use aperture priority and set flash sync fixed at 1/200.
EOS M v2.0.2, EF-M22

cous

What options are there to enable remote shooting with ML on the EOS M? This is a key feature for me. I am able to provide testing on the camera and other support.

nanomad

To the dev: maybe it's worth re-cecking the value of
#define YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DISPLAY_ADDR (*(uint32_t*)(0x3EAB0+0x11c))

Because from the ROM dump it looks like
#define YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DISPLAY_ADDR (*(uint32_t*)(0x3EAB0+0x118))

is the correct value
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

min

I was shooting a timelapse using FPS override and it left these nasty vertical line over the entire frame, particularly noticeable when it got darker. I don't remember my exact setting but I'm pretty sure I was using low ISO like 100 or 200 so it's not just noise. I think I was doing 0.25 FPS and 0.15 FPS. Anyone else experience this or know why this might be happening? I'll upload footage later tonight.

a1ex

min

Yes, alex. My footage is worse but I believe it's the same issue. Here's mine:
https://vimeo.com/58083444

coutts

I've began working on this again, I fixed the canon / ml overlays interference problem so now ML won't draw on top of canon (thanks Alex for the help).

Next I want to tackle focus info display / focus features.

craigp

I just wanted to add my voice as another new EOS M owner who - while I read every review that mentioned the slow AF speed - still went ahead and made a purchase.

I'm a novice camera owner. I've had a series of compact camera, had a foray into DSLRs with the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel in the USA) and have decided that my perfect camera is small, has interchangeable lenses and takes pictures like a DSLR.

The EOS M has taken amazing picture after amazing picture. The quality of the output is astonishing. Almost any creative shot I can image, it's been able to take with very little intervention from me. This is an amazing piece of kit. BUT I have small, fast-moving children. So the slow AF is going to become a big deal, I reckon.

After googling firmware updates that I hoped would fix the AF speed, I stumbled across ML and this forum.

My #1 request is that the team take a look at the AF speed. If there's any help I can provide to facilitate (money, beer, UI design, etc...), please just let me know.

coutts

Quote from: craigp on February 06, 2013, 06:14:29 PM
My #1 request is that the team take a look at the AF speed. If there's any help I can provide to facilitate (money, beer, UI design, etc...), please just let me know.

Unfortunately this isn't a very feasible request; it's not as simple as enabling movie mode on the 50d, or enabling some hidden "switch", someone would need to write a whole new focusing algorithm and learn how canon's current one works. For this, I don't even have a clue where to start. So, short answer: don't expect this to happen (probably ever, or for a long long time).

Some bad news today: it looks like display filters, and anything that requires syncing from state objects won't work on the EOSM. This means anamorphic, and defishing, and the (more efficient) new method to sync magic zoom. Even if I adopted the 5d2 method for display filters, we still can't sync them properly so it's not really worth figuring out right now.

Unfortunate.. I had higher hopes for this camera.

nanomad

Did you check the wrong LV address that i wrote before? Maybe it's related to that

Quote from: nanomad on January 22, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
To the dev: maybe it's worth re-cecking the value of
#define YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DISPLAY_ADDR (*(uint32_t*)(0x3EAB0+0x11c))

Because from the ROM dump it looks like
#define YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DISPLAY_ADDR (*(uint32_t*)(0x3EAB0+0x118))

is the correct value
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

JAL2099

Quote from: coutts on February 06, 2013, 05:37:44 PM
I've began working on this again, I fixed the canon / ml overlays interference problem so now ML won't draw on top of canon (thanks Alex for the help).

Next I want to tackle focus info display / focus features.

Awesome!  This is a greatly welcome update.

hpi

Is it possable to add M RAW or S RAW to EOSM ML ??  :)

craigp

Quote from: coutts on February 06, 2013, 08:55:44 PM
Unfortunately this isn't a very feasible request; it's not as simple as enabling movie mode on the 50d, or enabling some hidden "switch", someone would need to write a whole new focusing algorithm and learn how canon's current one works. For this, I don't even have a clue where to start. So, short answer: don't expect this to happen (probably ever, or for a long long time).

Hey Coutts! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and for investigating the situation with the EOS M. I continue to be blown away by the pictures his little baby is taking. Its a shame its so complex to unravel the firmware, but thanks for making the situation clear.

Apologies if this is a little off-topic, but can anyone comment on whether or not Canon have form releasing firmware updates for their cameras in this kind of price range?

Thanks!

JAL2099

Quote from: craigp on February 10, 2013, 10:47:20 PM
Hey Coutts! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and for investigating the situation with the EOS M. I continue to be blown away by the pictures his little baby is taking. Its a shame its so complex to unravel the firmware, but thanks for making the situation clear.

Apologies if this is a little off-topic, but can anyone comment on whether or not Canon have form releasing firmware updates for their cameras in this kind of price range?

Thanks!

there's this: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/eos-m-firmware-coming-soon/ which you may have seen by now.

coutts

Great news! I think enough people complained that they paid $800+ for a camera that can hardly focus (lately I just manual focus.. it's far more reliable than the autofocus).

Couldn't tell you how many times I'd go to take a photo of a group of people, and stand there for a good 15-20 seconds waiting for the focus to stop hunting (in decently lit situations too).

JAL2099

I don't have a huge beef with the AF, but focus peaking has really saved the camera.  I'm lucky enough to have some Leica M Mount and Canon M39 lenses that work really well and help keep the camera small. 

This reminds me...I'd like to make a donation to the cause, I find a number of links to PayPal from Googling, but it's not clear which one supports your efforts.  If you could provide a link it'd be greatly appreciated.

nanomad

We are not in need of donations lately, but thanks anyway :)

car911

I have been testing it for few months.  It is working fine ;)
Focus peaking and Magic zoom are really cool.  Great fun ;D
I can manual focus easily, and it's very accurate.  Thanks a lot  :D
EOS-M
+ EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
+ Speedlite 320EX
+ Magic Lantern EOS-M 1.0.6 (Alpha)

waynecw

Loaded ML on my M last night.  Love the focus peaking overlay.  I'm looking forward to playing with all the working ML features.  Thanks to the ML team for all you do.

min

One thing I noticed with the EOS M is that if I leave the battery in, it sometimes drains it which was not an issue with my 5D. I do pop the battery out after each use. One of my batteries recently stopped working altogether. It won't hold a charge anymore and it was not left in the camera when it stopped working. I don't know if this is an affect of ML at all but I thought I point it out anyway in case there's a bug.

1%

Probably shutdown bug :(

Any of the AF adjustment props for speed from 6D help?

tonymultimedia

Sorry for my English  :-[
I have to decide whether to purchase the Eos M
I'm already a user of ML on eos 5Mark 2.
I wanted to know if it is already running with this Intervallometer Alpha 1?
to perform the timelapse?
Many thanks  :)

waynecw

Quote from: tonymultimedia on February 27, 2013, 02:18:41 AM
I wanted to know if it is already running with this Intervallometer Alpha 1?
to perform the timelapse?

It is, but I haven't messed with that feature yet myself. 

I have a couple of questions of my own.  Are the Audio & Focus menus missing because they are not ready for the M yet?  And when will they be ready.  Also, when will the next Alpha build go out?  Thanks for all the quick work in porting ML for the M so far.

min

1%, I did a bit of searching but I don't really understand what af prop adjustment is or what to do to fix the shut down bug.

As for timelapse, the intervolameter works flawlessly but fps override has vertical steaks with lowlight like with the example  I previously posted, not sure why that is.

The first post mention audio is not ready and things like trap focus may never work.

1%

I bet 5d3,m,650d, 6D all have the "streaks". I've got some of the why on it and will probably post pics in the future.

Basically when fps override too high, the image falls over to the right. Set it just right and you can see (and sometimes reconstruct) the diagonal image, purple color and all. When its too low the buffer is pushed the other way and you get streaks/distortion from missing vertical data. Shows up in raw, lv, PTP and everything so its an actual sensor sampling timing problem.

Making the 2nd timer actually change or finding its location will be key. I don't know why the engio writes have no effect when I find the correct fps table. It does some kind of funky mode switching with the tables that is probably wrong on the new cameras.

If this is fixed you get like 40fps in "full hd" and 80fps in 60P.

For the shutdown bug, devs with the camera will probably have to figure it out. Not present on 6D and probably 5d3.