EOS M ** Alpha 1 ** [FIXED][DOWNLOAD]

Started by coutts, November 23, 2012, 12:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coutts

Quote from: jasonwhk on December 15, 2012, 07:16:34 AM
Thanks for the great work, with the Magic Lantern, it makes Astrophotography on EOS M become very easy.
I have done a few test shots using intervalometer.
Here is the photo : http://www.flickr.com/photos/91111311@N04/8274354228/
But I found that after installing ML on EOS M the 18-55mm couldn't release the shutter, I have to dismount and put it back in order to shoot.
I have uninstall ML and everything back to normal.
Any thoughts?
Interesting.. I don't own the 18-55mm STM so i didn't know this was an issue. Do you have the EF adapter? Can you verify if this happens with any other lenses? Check the lens contacts to make sure they're clean of dirt / contaminants (just in case that's the issue).

philmoz

Quote from: jasonwhk on December 15, 2012, 07:16:34 AM
Thanks for the great work, with the Magic Lantern, it makes Astrophotography on EOS M become very easy.
I have done a few test shots using intervalometer.
Here is the photo : http://www.flickr.com/photos/91111311@N04/8274354228/
But I found that after installing ML on EOS M the 18-55mm couldn't release the shutter, I have to dismount and put it back in order to shoot.
I have uninstall ML and everything back to normal.
Any thoughts?

Works fine on my camera.
Tested with 22MM EF-M, 18-55 EF-M and 40MM EF (with adaptor).

Phil.

rsaccon

to get myself familiar with the internals of magic lantern and hopefully at some point contributing to development, I tried to build ML form source (unified branch), on Mac with Mountain Lion and dependencies installed, but the build-notes I found on the web seemed to me a bit out of date. Well, I could successfully compile it (just "make", no build target specified), for some platforms even an autoexec.bin got created, but not for the EOS M. So what are the buildsteps required to build ML for canon EOS M from source ?

coutts

Quote from: rsaccon on December 16, 2012, 10:39:43 PM
to get myself familiar with the internals of magic lantern and hopefully at some point contributing to development, I tried to build ML form source (unified branch), on Mac with Mountain Lion and dependencies installed, but the build-notes I found on the web seemed to me a bit out of date. Well, I could successfully compile it (just "make", no build target specified), for some platforms even an autoexec.bin got created, but not for the EOS M. So what are the buildsteps required to build ML for canon EOS M from source ?
call "make EOSM", or "make 6D", or "make 5D2", etc. running make alone builds all platforms. what's the error?

nanomad

Calling make alone builds all stable platforms, and the EOSM port is far from stable ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

rsaccon

ok, make EOSM works, next problem:

make installer -C installer/EOSM.106/

python ../../../dumper/build_fir.py -r ../../../dumper/5D300113.FIR updater.bin EOSM106.fir
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file '../../../dumper/build_fir.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

according to some discussions on google group I should be able to wget from somewhere a prebuilt  .fir, but I did not found anywhere a link to such a .fir.

where can I get it ?

rsaccon

I think I got it: I do not necessarily need to "make installer -c ...", I only have to "make EOSM" and then just overwrite on the SD card the autoexec.bin with the new one.

The reason I wanna mess around with source code is to try to connect the EOS M via ptp (if possible) with an arduino hardware (which controls also other peripherals) and from there to have access to ML commands and vice versa. But I need first to get more familiar with all things involved, so it might take a while until I am getting there ...

bart

Great work.

Another option for the ML menu is putting it behind the MENU button. Add a first item "goto Canon menu"

deleted.account.01

so its new version of MagicLanter ?

its more lastest than 2.3v?

what cameras this version supporting ?

scrax

Quote from: MzytengaM on December 17, 2012, 05:36:21 PM
so its new version of MagicLanter ?

its more lastest than 2.3v?

what cameras this version supporting ?
it's the nightly the "last"
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

EnsitMike

Why don't we use the on-screen "Q" quick menu button to open ML since we have a button for that on the dial already?  It's a cleaner function behaviorally than the 2 finger tap, in my opinion.

Edit:  Alternatively, is it also possible to use the pinch-to-zoom function during live-view [not playback] and open ML very much in the same way you open an album on an iPad?  Expanding from a pinch function with a threshold for "snaping" open.  I think the Q button is still cleaner, but the pinch could be another method that is still fairly intuitive for opening
<[ EOS-M ][ 5D MKII ][ 1D MKII ][ Elan7 ][ 700 ][ Hasselblad 500 ]>
22/2 EFM | 35L/1.4  | 40/2.8 Pancake  |  50L/1.2  |  85LII/1.2  |  24-70L/2.8  |  70-200L/4.0

jimijam

Quote from: min on December 13, 2012, 10:10:03 PM
It's not working for me. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB..

Yep your first firmware flash must be done on a <=32gb card in order to set the flag inside the camera. After that's done you can use any sized card (e.g 64gb) provided you've also prepared that card using the tool (forgot name). But yeh... need to beg/borrow/steal a smaller card for the first flash.

coutts

Quote from: EnsitMike on December 18, 2012, 07:29:46 AM
Why don't we use the on-screen "Q" quick menu button to open ML since we have a button for that on the dial already?  It's a cleaner function behaviorally than the 2 finger tap, in my opinion.

Edit:  Alternatively, is it also possible to use the pinch-to-zoom function during live-view [not playback] and open ML very much in the same way you open an album on an iPad?  Expanding from a pinch function with a threshold for "snaping" open.  I think the Q button is still cleaner, but the pinch could be another method that is still fairly intuitive for opening
touching the screen sends the same GUI event no matter where you touch it, the only difference is if you use 1 or 2 fingers to tap. Plus, the 2 finger tap anywhere is for fast access, then you're not hunting for a button that you hid off the screen because you have the ML overlays showing and canon ones hidden.

buglamp

Magic lantern on EOS M is better than sliced bread.

The focus detection fuzz feature is both amazing and essential.  Is it possible to have it activate momentarily when the shutter button is half pressed similar to the zoom feature?

Magic Lantern crew you guys rock! 

coutts

Quote from: buglamp on December 21, 2012, 02:28:23 AM
Magic lantern on EOS M is better than sliced bread.

The focus detection fuzz feature is both amazing and essential.  Is it possible to have it activate momentarily when the shutter button is half pressed similar to the zoom feature?

Magic Lantern crew you guys rock!
which feature is this?

Francis

buglamp

Live View Zoom - in the preferences section can be activated via half press of the shutter button when in manual focus.

Focus Peaking in ML - could it be activated the same way?

Reasoning being that the focus peaking seams to be the fastest way to focus compared to zooming but it uses a lot of cpu.  Also what if Global Draw is disabled, does everything still render offscreen or could the entire ML HUD and overlays be shown and start rendering on shutter half press?

If we could halfpress to fuzz up the scene in the areas we want in focus then commit with full press it would be excellent

min

Quote from: jimijam on December 18, 2012, 03:07:49 PM
Yep your first firmware flash must be done on a <=32gb card in order to set the flag inside the camera. After that's done you can use any sized card (e.g 64gb) provided you've also prepared that card using the tool (forgot name). But yeh... need to beg/borrow/steal a smaller card for the first flash.

Thanks, it works for me now. Everything looks pretty good. Here's what I think can be improve:

1) halfpress shutter for magic zoom (not Liveview zoom) just like it was with the 5D.

2) The canon display for exposure, record time, and battery appears when making adjustments and it seems redundant with the ML display. I don't supposed we can turn off Canon display but perhaps we can have a simple screen layout without the ML info.

In terms of pulling up the ML menu, I like the idea suggested with hitting menu twice but I also wouldn't mind sacrificing the the exposure lock (*) or shooting mode button for ML menu (or both so we can have a button for shortcuts). The two finger tap is not bad though, I notice I can stick my thumb diagonally across the screen with pretty much my palm acting as a second finger to pull the menu up pretty quickly. Everything else looks pretty solid, can't wait until the audio functions are working. Thanks and keep up the excellent work.

nanomad

Alpha 1 up&running on the second "ML" EOSM :)

One small issue: you can't disable the bootflag because the M has no mode dial
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

coutts

Quote from: nanomad on January 02, 2013, 01:24:25 PM
Alpha 1 up&running on the second "ML" EOSM :)

One small issue: you can't disable the bootflag because the M has no mode dial
dial on the top ;) switch from shoot to movie / creative auto mode and it works.

nanomad

Lanselta

Hey!

Over the xmas break, i had a chance to use ML on my EOS-M.  First of all, very easy to install, and uninstall.  Thanks for that.  I took some extra long exposures, HDR shots, and used the intervalometre.  I love the zebra'as and focus peeking.  It was fantastic.  But I had to remove it.  In normal operation some times the shutter will not release, and remains inoperative. You must turn off the camera, take our the battery, wait a while, then MAYBE it might work again. I know the EOS-M is slow, but after i did this a number of times, those moments i wanted to capture were long gone.  It now lives on my cards for times when i might want to use it, but generally now remains uninstalled.

DnA

Great work!!

i'm thinking of shooting macro with flash in live view with focus peak, eg my setting is f/8, 1/200 and ISO100 but in live view is totally black, how can i set in ML to show ambient exposure instead of exposure simulation, thank you.
EOS M v2.0.2, EF-M22

coutts

Quote from: DnA on January 08, 2013, 07:19:21 AM
Great work!!

i'm thinking of shooting macro with flash in live view with focus peak, eg my setting is f/8, 1/200 and ISO100 but in live view is totally black, how can i set in ML to show ambient exposure instead of exposure simulation, thank you.
you can turn off exposure simulation from the canon menu iirc

Masheen

Hey guys. I want to thank the developers for all their hard work.

Has anyone gotten sustained imaging at higher than 1.5 seconds/image? I need to get around 1 second/image but write speed doesn't seem to be the limiting factor.

Anyway, thanks again guys. I truly appreciate this port!