Live view display gain and ND filters

Started by brapodam, November 20, 2012, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brapodam

Hi,

I don't yet have a Canon camera but have been researching about Magic Lantern for some time and have decided to switch to Canon so that I can use ML firmware (still don't have a Canon camera though).

I'm very interested in the Live View Display Gain feature and I just want to ask how it works here. I love my 10 stop ND filter and use it a lot, so this feature is something I'm really excited about. However, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences using it with strong ND filters. I'm thinking if it is possible to leave the 10 stop ND filter on in between shots while changing compositions, so obviously you need to be able to see something in Live View with the filter on.

Has anyone had any experiences using LV display gain with a strong ND filter and how does it turn out? Is it possible to at least make out some details so you can compose the shot? Or must I still take off my ND filter if I want to compose the shot? I don't have a square filter system so it's not as simple as sliding it up and down.

Thanks!

a1ex

In theory, with nightly builds you even get correct exposure simulation (enable exposure override and FPS override in M mode). See FAQ.

brapodam

Quote from: a1ex on November 20, 2012, 01:49:21 PM
In theory, with nightly builds you even get correct exposure simulation (enable exposure override and FPS override in M mode). See FAQ.
So in the nightly builds, if, say, I stick on a 10 stop ND filter and set my camera settings for a correct exposure, say 30s at F8 and ISO 100, what does ML do?

Does it raise the ISO temporarily for the LV image to retain a reasonable frame rate while still giving a reasonably bright image? Or what does it do?

I have no qualms installing nightly builds, but since I don't have a Canon camera to install ML atm, I can't test it  :(