Music Video with 5d mkii ML

Started by shuggyrasklat, November 16, 2012, 06:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuggyrasklat

Bitrate cbr 2.0, 1 continuous shot, audio was on camera for reference as well as live, for final take.
I used the nifty fifty at f1.8 and got great results, combined with the fakehalfIR picture style, by EYER.

Featuring the music of Billy Mays III, of INFINITE THIRD, more at http://music.infinitethird.com/
Filmed by Jonathan Shugarman, (myself) of www.Shugarmandesign.com
VIDEO:

kihlbahkt

The nifty 50 looks good but I kept saying to myself "Focus" due to a lot of content was really out of focus. Maybe that was your intent. If it was not then look into focus peaking, one of the best features ML has to offer. I think that the shallow depth of field did help with the ethereal 'Fripp-style' music and the slow camera motion was effective.

What was used to record audio that was heard in the final video?

600D x2

shuggyrasklat

All of the focusing was almost completely scripted.  We used Logic to do the recording with. I really like the focus peaking, i was actually, in some areas, using a pre-set rack focus, with recorded distances.

shuggyrasklat

I was originally planning to use a rig, but a malfunction, left me to shoot it handheld. I didn't stabilize in post, in fact, the only post at all, was the title and credits, zero post on the video.

kihlbahkt

I like the idea of using the rack focus during a handheld shot. You did a great job on cam stability with no rig. Keep up the creative work.
600D x2

shuggyrasklat

thank u very much,  kihlbahkt, more coming soon!

albert-e

"All of the focusing was almost completely scripted."
If this is the final video, then you have failed (sorry). It's just unbearable to view the video.

shuggyrasklat

Thank you for your input, albert-e, it's nice to hear someone use such kind words, so willingly..  Excellent critique, I might add, thanks bud.
It was a very spontaneous idea to shoot anything at all that day. It was for fun.

nanomad

Try to use constructive criticism, bashing is not really that good ....
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

kihlbahkt

While albert-e came across rather harsh, I think the take away from his comment is that as a viewer of this video he was very distracted by the focus issues. As a producer of content you should always try to avoid pulling the viewer away from the presentation. There is a threshold point at which the viewer begins thinking about some technical issue (focus, framing, audio problems, etc) instead of keeping their attention on the content being presented. Once that occurs the viewer may lose interest very quickly.
600D x2

albert-e

@kihibahkt...you put the right words. Excellent review.  Yes, it was a little bit harsh but the truth.

kihlbahkt

My philosophy on giving criticism is to never discourage anyone. Artistic and personal expression should always be encouraged. Art that I think sucks may be a great inspiration to someone else. I love to watch forum member videos and I would never want to have shruggyrasklat discouraged from uploading his next video due to rude remarks from this forum.  +1 for nanomad's comment.
600D x2

deleted.account.01

Quote from: albert-e on November 26, 2012, 12:08:29 AM
"All of the focusing was almost completely scripted."

:D mayeb its aboute my level of Newbe or ijust  never use it before cus i Dont need it..but now Scripts make Photos no camera ? xD

deleted.account.01

Quote from: shuggyrasklat on November 16, 2012, 06:40:29 AM
Bitrate cbr 2.0, 1 continuous shot, audio was on camera for reference as well as live, for final take.
I used the nifty fifty at f1.8 and got great results, combined with the fakehalfIR picture style, by EYER.

Featuring the music of Billy Mays III, of INFINITE THIRD, more at http://music.infinitethird.com/
Filmed by Jonathan Shugarman, (myself) of www.Shugarmandesign.com
VIDEO:

to long in...to bright Intro.. but i Love Dirty Style of all ( how call this ? ) not music video aka MTV ,,, i will call it .. i love music and i play it..

i love liek i said dirty style in movie ..
Im now on 2:28 and im little tired of this loooooong first shot...u need there soem more slow fades with some maybe nature moments or if u use there that dirty style maybe some Factory machines in work to your music ? .. there is alot possibles..
but for sure first shot is TOOO LONG .. well to long to short :D ..depend what u like i tihng..but maybe u want use this vid on some festival so prepare for some Smart Math Technical asses who understand quality when all numbers from RGB are in position X ...X ... X.... ,,.  .
and u burn withe colour..

but i like music dude. is like digital live ..

phunkyboy

Yup the worst critiscm is none at all. I uploaded a video with the hope of getting feedback and ideas and I only got one reply and to be honest it sucks.Thanks for loyal league of haters on you tube who make me feel loved  :).

deleted.account.01

Quote from: phunkyboy on December 23, 2012, 02:28:19 PM
Yup the worst critiscm is none at all. I uploaded a video with the hope of getting feedback and ideas and I only got one reply and to be honest it sucks.Thanks for loyal league of haters on you tube who make me feel loved  :).

sry for suck  feed back. dude. next time will be none  if u prefere it more

shuggyrasklat

I haven't been to this thread in a short while.. I do appreciate the criticism, it allows for my growth.  This video was shot on a dime, because I was anxious to use the magic lantern with my brand new mkii.