problems installing arm-elf-gcc

Started by ubbut, November 15, 2012, 03:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubbut

Hi,

I am trying to follow the build instructions but when running summon-arm I get the error message:

* Patching gcc to add multilib support
patch: **** Can't open patch file ../patches/patch-gcc-4.6.2-config-arm-t-arm-elf.diff : No such file or directory

I changed SUDO= to SUDO=sudo, but no difference...

scrax

there is not the folder ../patches/

have you started summon arm script from it's folder?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ubbut

what I did was: (ubuntu)

I downloaded prepare.ubuntu.sh and summon-arm and put them in home/[myuserame]/

I ran sudo prepare.ubuntu.sh  (works)

and then

sudo bash summon-arm  (produces the above error)

I can't see any directory called patches and ~/arm-toolchain462/ is not created ...

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

scrax

Quote from: ubbut on November 15, 2012, 06:45:54 PM
what I did was: (ubuntu)

I downloaded prepare.ubuntu.sh and summon-arm and put them in home/[myuserame]/

I ran sudo prepare.ubuntu.sh  (works)

and then

sudo bash summon-arm  (produces the above error)

I can't see any directory called patches and ~/arm-toolchain462/ is not created ...

you need do have summon-arm from sources in toolchain folder there are:
prepare.ubuntu.sh
summon-arm and a patches/ folder
seems you missed to copy to your home folder the patches/ folder.

but as nanomad posted you can use a pre-built one
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ubbut

Thanks!!

Using the pre-build toolchain I finally managed to compile ML :-)

jplxpto

I've been through all this. After successfully compiling toolchain and ML I decided to use the pre compiled toolchain.

eduperez

Quote from: jplxpto on November 21, 2012, 01:01:48 AM
I've been through all this. After successfully compiling toolchain and ML I decided to use the pre compiled toolchain.

Is there any particular reason to favorite the pre-compiled toolchain over the self-made version with the "summon-arm" script? Thanks.

nanomad

Yes, you don't waste time building it. A self-built toolchain may compile faster on YOUR machine but the gain is really minimal
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

eduperez

Quote from: nanomad on November 23, 2012, 12:26:30 PM
Yes, you don't waste time building it. A self-built toolchain may compile faster on YOUR machine but the gain is really minimal

Ok, many thanks!

mk11174

Was wondering how to get the firmware analysis scripts to work with new toolchain such as disasm.py which wants arm-elf? It keeps getting stuck there with a check-elf because I don't have elf and when I try to install elf, it doesn't work with new toolchain?

Is there an easy fix or do I need to start over with an older setup just for the tools.

I already have a good new setup which works perfect for compiling and other scripts work fine, I just want it for the tools to mess with and the disasm just is the one that seems to have a problem so far?

Any tips would be helpful.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

a1ex

Probably changing elf to none-eabi would work (didn't try). I still have a copy of arm-elf.

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on March 03, 2014, 09:26:50 PM
Probably changing elf to none-eabi would work (didn't try). I still have a copy of arm-elf.
Yeah, 1st thing i tried, it did not work. I wouldnt mind using arm-elf just need to figure out how to get it to work with new toolchain version i guess. Does it still need to be python 2.6 and ipython 0.10?

a1ex

I guess so.. didn't update it for a loooong time.

Marsu42

Quote from: jplxpto on November 21, 2012, 01:01:48 AM

+1 from me - building your own toolchain is kinda interesting and some projects use it by default like OpenWRT, but for ML it makes tracking bugs much harder because any different source part of the toolchain could introduce unknown issues (I had this once with Linaro vs. vanilla gcc).

mk11174

Ok, built a whole new Enviroment from scratch in UBUNTU, had to go with 10 because it came with python 2.6, I got everything working, using everything from the Build Instructions page, I was able to create hello.o just fine and can use tools now to dissasemble only thing is for now I need to use terminal to add PATH=~/arm-toolchain462/bin:$PATH

where would I add this in ubuntu to make it so its auto set so I dont have to do that everytime.

I am guessing .profile
# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
    # include .bashrc if it exists
    if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
    fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

but where exactly would this go so it takes affect?

mk11174

Quote from: mk11174 on March 04, 2014, 04:58:26 AM
Ok, built a whole new Enviroment from scratch in UBUNTU, had to go with 10 because it came with python 2.6, I got everything working, using everything from the Build Instructions page, I was able to create hello.o just fine and can use tools now to dissasemble only thing is for now I need to use terminal to add PATH=~/arm-toolchain462/bin:$PATH

where would I add this in ubuntu to make it so its auto set so I dont have to do that everytime.

I am guessing .profile
# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login
# exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
    # include .bashrc if it exists
    if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
. "$HOME/.bashrc"
    fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

but where exactly would this go so it takes affect?
UPDATE, I had to add it to the end of .bashrc

Works Now!