AF microadjustment

Started by Soupdragon, November 10, 2012, 03:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soupdragon

OK I'm new here and yup I read the sticky saying that AF microadjustment on the Canon 60D is not possible, thats fine.
But can someone explain to me why it's not possible?
As doesn't the 60D have the same AF system as the 50D which has AF microadjustment?
I just want to understand why it doesn't work - understanding stuff is good, being a sheep is not.

Francis

Currently there is no way to intercept or change the data sent between the lens and the camera. The TX chips are not well enough understood. Thus there is no way to fake lens data, no forced focus confirmation, no AF micro adjust, no anything that requires communication with the lens that is not already included with the Canon firmware.

No problem with asking why as long as you don't push. While there are definitely some requested features that will always be impossible to fulfill, others  do not warrant hours and hours of fruitless labor. There are only a handful of developers and no time to waste on unfruitful efforts.

Soupdragon

Ok thanks for that Francis, now I have a better understanding of WHY it doesn't work.
Thats much better than just knowing "It doesn't work!", well for me at least! ;-)

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: Francis on November 10, 2012, 05:49:02 AM
Currently there is no way to intercept or change the data sent between the lens and the camera. The TX chips are not well enough understood. Thus there is no way to fake lens data, no forced focus confirmation, no AF micro adjust, no anything that requires communication with the lens that is not already included with the Canon firmware.

No problem with asking why as long as you don't push. While there are definitely some requested features that will always be impossible to fulfill, others  do not warrant hours and hours of fruitless labor. There are only a handful of developers and no time to waste on unfruitful efforts.

At first, I too was a bit unhappy with Canon not including AF Microadjust in 60d as I couldn't tweak focusing of my 18-200 lens which I found not doing well.  Later, I found out that it wasn't the camera but me who needed tweaking!  Unless the AF points are aligned tack on the contrasty part of the subject, it doesn't autofocus well.  In a way it is a kind of good that Canon didn't include AF microadjust in a not-fully-professional camera like 60d; otherwise, I would've meddled with it and messed it up.

1%

Its included on 6D so I can try to figure out how they handle it. Maybe record what it sends to where if that hardware is similar.

mr.vijayaraghavan

Quote from: 1% on January 09, 2013, 04:17:44 PM
Its included on 6D so I can try to figure out how they handle it. Maybe record what it sends to where if that hardware is similar.

Good then ! May be you will throw a new light ... and make 60d AF microfocus adjustable!

a1ex

AF adjustment is a custom function, and these things are camera-specific (unlike most other settings, which the code for changing them is portable across most, if not all cameras). Here, it's very unlikely to work just by coincidence.

deleted.account.01

Quote from: Soupdragon on November 10, 2012, 03:33:46 AM
OK I'm new here and yup I read the sticky saying that AF microadjustment on the Canon 60D is not possible, thats fine.
But can someone explain to me why it's not possible?
As doesn't the 60D have the same AF system as the 50D which has AF microadjustment?
I just want to understand why it doesn't work - understanding stuff is good, being a sheep is not.

hi dragon..im not sure if this hellps u or its same u lookn for and im not sure if that post will be able to read and understand .. but i check some options in ML and i found way for microadjustmen in M mode but with canon t3i(d600) .. ican with lenss 50mm have soem 400 steps of focus adjustments with out touching lenss.. i can set focus with arrows on camera body after ichange some setings..maybe it can work for u to :

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4270.msg23757#msg23757

1%

Investigation on 600D proved pretty fruitless. The property has a length of 5... the ones where it works have much longer ones. i don't know how it is on 60D but probably just like 600D.

coutts

I think the property exists but the low level activity from PropMgr doesn't happen, and the front-end code for the menu is obviously removed. I think canon is more careful to remove all code after we unlocked movie recording on the 50d. They probably have things ifdef'd out like we do with features.

PropMgr and its taskclass events / states are the missing link, since we don't understand much of the low level things. I have somewhat of an understanding of how the taskclass events trigger state changes but it's hard to study.

1%

Probably why movie AF icon shows up on 6D but movie AF doesn't move.

Hopefully they didn't do this to af patterns. Only way 6D gets those is from 5d3.

afarkas

OK, i understand MagicLantern can not replace the per-lenses based focus MicroAdjustment function,
but would it be possible to "hardcode" a certain + or - focus offset into the OS?