[DEFECTIVE CARD] 5D MKII Freezes During Shooting, Files Possibly Deleted

Started by sparkplug, September 10, 2012, 05:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkplug

Using 5D MK II with latest firware, also latest ML firmware. Lexar professional 400x 16gb flash. Battery fully charged.

I was shooting yesterday with my 5D and in the middle of recording, the camera froze up. This was after about 15 minutes of shooting. The screen just froze and all the controls froze. I took out the card and battery, waited a minute or so and put them back in. The camera started up, ML loaded and all seemed well, but then a few minutes later it happened again. I took out the battery and card again and waited a half hour. Then I shot for about 20 minutes more when it happened again. Now when I start my 5D it says "card not formatted". I tried to offload the files from the card so I could do a format, but I can't retrieve them. If I use a card reader it says the card has not been formatted and I need to format it. If I use a USB through the camera windows doesn't recognize any files at all.

a1ex

Sounds like a problem with the card.

I would try to mount the card on a Linux box, create an image with dd and then recover the files. Not sure about what's best to use on Windows.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sparkplug

UPDATE

I formatted the card and am trying recovery software, but thus far nothing has worked. The software says there is only 28 megs on the card and can't detect any files, FAT or NTFS.

Francis

I think they were suggesting trying to recover the data before formatting.

sparkplug

UPDATE

Well crap. We've tried multiple solutions. Linux doesn't recognize the drive at all, nor windows nor mac. It looks like the SD card is just fried. Tried about 10 recovery softwares. No luck.

I've been shooting today with another card. Same make. It was a little glitchy. The digital focus points sometimes hang around too long, as if it were about to freeze, but it was fine. Could it possibly be the speed of the card? Is ML putting too much demand on it and thus frying it?

a1ex

It's not possible to physically damage a card via software. Cards do fail sometimes, just buy a new one.

Always format the card before shooting.

nanomad

I have no idea where you are from, but if you are in Europe and ok with wasting a stamp you could send the card my way and I'll try recovering something ... unless you already did a low level or full format
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sparkplug

Thanks for the offer, but yes, I did a low level format already.

A1ex says in a previous post there's no way software can damage a card? Can someone verify this?

nanomad

Not hardware wise since we aren't touching the SD controller stuff. It may happen that the filesystem gets corruputed, especially if you're low on battery and running some kind of intensive task

sparkplug

Final update.

Card is dead. It can't be ready by linux, windows, mac. Couldn't retrieve anything. Is there any way I can find out if this was ML or just the card malfunctioning?

ilguercio

Quote from: sparkplug on September 13, 2012, 07:50:44 PM
Final update.

Card is dead. It can't be ready by linux, windows, mac. Couldn't retrieve anything. Is there any way I can find out if this was ML or just the card malfunctioning?
A card dies regardless of what kind of bytes you send to it, it's not racist :)
Also, there's nothing like "overload" as many users wrote here while being worried for their card.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

mastamuk

ahoi!
just had the same problem yesterday.
cam always stucked (image freezes). - switching off didnĀ“t help. I had to remove the Battery...
I tried different cards > always the same problem.
It seems that is a cam problem!?
Did you have this problem always with the same card? or is it a continuing problem of the cam?

g3gg0

Quote from: sparkplug on September 13, 2012, 07:50:44 PMIs there any way I can find out if this was ML or just the card malfunctioning?

neither ML nor canon software can kill your card.
it is a pure HW defect.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!