5d mII no image with live view no firmware update

Started by Aager, November 06, 2012, 01:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aager

Hi,

My cannon 5d m2 broke down.
When I turn on live view the image stays black. I can get the canon info overlay, but when I push the trachcan button the camera freezes.
I tried to reinstall the canon firmware as wall as the ML firmware, but the camera hangs at a screen that says: "update file cannot be found"
Is there a way to force the camera to install the firmware?
I can still make pictures, but in burst mode only 3 than it hangs.
I'm afraid something on the maiboard is broken, or hopefully only the software is corrupted.

Any ideas??

a1ex

Try clearing camera settings and start the camera with a fresh card (format it in the camera).

To update the firmware, you need to format the card in the camera, but I don't think it will solve anything. If the firmware would be corrupt, ML would refuse to boot.

Aager

thank you I did al that.
ML is not booting anymore.
When I start the camera It only shows the canon menu. When I try to call the ML menu it freezes.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Aager

the ML folder is on the card.
When I have a "clean" card the camera reacts the same as with a ML card.

Aager

In the diagnostic tools thread is something about forcing firmware upgrade, but I cannot figure out how this should be working.
Can you advice me about that?

a1ex

You don't need that tool, because you can access Canon menu.

Your posts are contradictory, so I can't do much to help you, sorry.

Aager

can you please tell me in with way it is contradictory? so I can give you better details.
Thank You

a1ex

Well... I've understood that you are trying to access ML menu when you boot from a card without ML.

The solution for firmware update was described above, I doubt you have followed it.

Read this: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Aager

Sorry for being not clear.
I can understand you will recieve a lot of unclear complaints and Reports so I will try to explain it as clear as possible.
I'm very glad you respond to me and are willing to help me.
Also let me say I was very happy with the software you guys made. Big thumbs up!!!

I start the camera with ML on the card.

When I start the camera, it starts normal. it takes two seconds before I see numbers on the small display. Don't know if this is not normal.
The camera works normal when I make pictures. except when I make pictures in burst mode. It stops responding after 3 pictures.

When I push the live view button the lcd stays black. i can push the info buttons and get the canon info over the black screen.
When I push the ML button (trashcan) the camera stops responding. I have to remove the battery to restart the camera.

When I use a card without ML on it I get the same results.

But when I check the firmware in the menu, It says version 2.1.2. which indicates no ML.
I tried to uninstall ML but everytime the camera stops the update proses and tells me: "update file cannot be found".
I tried to reinstall  the original canon firmware but everytime the camera stops the update proses and tells me: "update file cannot be found".

To me it feels like the camera stops responding when the procces gets memory intensive like, moviemode, burst, firmwareupgrade. But I'm no wizzkid.

I hope this is a better explanation of the problem,

Regards, Aage

nanomad

It may be an hardware fault, but first thing first: upload a picture of the content of the ML card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Aager