Trigger flash with the internal mic

Started by dutchronnie, October 29, 2012, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutchronnie

is it possible to trigger the flash when the mic. detect sound?

With ML it is now possible to trigger the shutter with sound.
When it it possible to trigger the flash with sound, i can use ML for high speed photography.

I hope this feature can be implemented in the future.

Francis

Does the sounds trigger not trigger a flash mounted on the shoe? I've never tried but I assumed it would, at least in non-LV photo mode.

dutchronnie

I think the sound trigger doesn't trigger the flash on the shoe.

When i do speed photography i set the camera in bulb mode with a remote, then i fire a flash with an external sound trigger.

I think (I hope) that ML can do this trick, so you don't need an external sound trigger.

Francis

Just tried and using the sound trigger with a shoe mounted flash works. You could try not using a bulb exposure. Use a sync cord or a radio trigger for flash and then trigger the exposure using MLs audio trigger. No need for bulb if your flash and shutter are synced. I'll have to try some test shots with balloon pops or something using my studio strobes. I've got PCB Einsteins with a flash duration as short as 1/13000s.

dutchronnie

The flash works , i have tried it.
But when the sound has to open the shutter first, and then flas it is to slow for high speed photo's

I make photo's with an air gun, so i can see the bullet.
The shutter has to be open in a dark room, and then a flash will make the picture

Francis

Even if the it could be programmed the delay between sound and shutter via ML would be the same as delay between sound and flash. Which sounds like it would be too late. Do you have a flickr page or any examples online?

dutchronnie

example of a highspeed photo:

It is not possible when the shutters must opens first, that is why this photo's are made in bulb mode, the shutter is already open, and the only thing what is neccecary to capture the photo is a flash. of course this can only be done in a dark room.

That maybe the internal flash, or an external flash.

When it is possible to program, then the following must happen.

settings:
1- time for opening shutter
2- time in ms for delay between capture sound and fire flash

shooting:
1- open shutter (bulb)
2- capture sound
3- fire flash
4- close shutter

Francis

Is that a balloon or a tomato? :)

Also what type of flash are you using?

dutchronnie

It´s a tomato :)

The flash i used was a Canon 430EX II

I shot on the tomato with an air gun, you can see the bullet on the right side of the picture.
The canon was in bulp mode, en the flash was fired with a sound trigger

dutchronnie

another picture of the possibilities of highspeed photography.

But again the question, is it possible to integrate these settings in Magic Lantern?

a1ex

I have no idea how to trigger only the flash. It's probably handled in the Tx19a (a CPU which we can't control).

scrax

Another problem is that for an incamera solution the flash should not be triggered when starting the bulb exposition, instead it need to be started after the sound, during the shot.
But maybe we can just add the option to simulate a (*) press with audio trigger.
That way I think we can use ML as audio flash trigger but it will require another camera for tacking the shot.
ML camera will be "just" an audio flash trigger (maybe with user selectable delay too).
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-