Bulb Ramping Weirdness

Started by spacef2012, November 03, 2012, 11:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacef2012

Hello I tried bulb ramping several times, and i got various issues, but the worse is that there is a point when it does not go beyond a certain timing for shutter speed.

In fact, it would be nice to implement another way for it to work, without having to take a reference picture:
- I would love to set the start parameters, middle, and end parameters. (or a method that is similar to that).

For ex, you would fill info such as (arbitrary values for the example)
- 1st frame: iso 320, shutter speed 3 seconds
- mid frame: iso 1000, shutter speed 18 seconds
- last frame: iso 2000, shutter speed 30 seconds
- number of frames : 500
- In such a system, the EV increments would be automatically managed by ML.
- **** Additionally (haha), and that would be a killer feature, you could set the start and end point so that frames below the start are shot like with the first setting without incremeent, AND the frames after the "last" frame point, are shot with the last setting without incremement decremement.

So on my 500 image sequence, the start would be frame 100, the middle 250, and the end is frame 400. Frame 400 to 500 would be shot with the last frame setting without modification. (and the same for frame 0 to 100)

With the current system, I also get many issues of flickering,
and when the bulb reaches a certain value for bulb ramping (which seems to be related to the intervalometer intervals) , then it cannot go beyond it, it goes back to inferior values, then up again etc etc.
For ex, last time I set an interval of 12 seconds, and ML could not go beyond 8. at 8, it went back to 7.5 or so, and redid a progression until 8, then back to 7 again etc etc. This is weird ?

I do not know if it is feasible, but it would be cool to think about a better way to make it work in a fully manual way without a reference picture.
I hope it is possible or adviseable to work like that ?

It allows to create a completely different progression curve than the default.

Thanks for listening !

I use canon EOS 60D.