MLU and bracketing

Started by garry23, October 31, 2012, 06:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I have been using the latest nightly build on my 50D to try out the new aperture bracketing: and I like it.

This post is about a refinement that I think is missing in ML, but could make the 'bracketeers' life a lot easier (unless I'm missing something).

When bracketing, on a tripod, the usual 'best practice' is mirror lockup, however, when I try this through the normal ML menu, with the canon MLU on or off, the MLU function seems to only work for each image. In other words the MLU is operating individually for every bracket.

The way round this is to put the camera in LV and then take the ML-enabled brackets. BTW I mostly use the auto feature now as I don't need to 'worry' about the EV range.

With the camera in LV mode, ML only operates the shutter, ie the mirror does not move, ie remaining up until LV is turned off.

So, the thought is: would it be possible to put in a feature that enables LV mode before ML takes the requested series of brackets and then takes the camera out of LV mode at the end of the sequence capture. In other words the bracketeer gets the possibility of capturing the most vibration free images.

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

Bracketing outside LV has the advantage of being faster, and the user can toggle LV with one click. I don't see the point.

garry23

A1ex.

You are right, but most of us that bracket on a tripod are not that worried about 'saving' a second or so in capture. The main thing is to get tack sharp image capture.

I am more than happy to push the LV button before and after accessing ML.

It was just an idea.

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

Well, considering how many requests I've got for speeding up the brackets... no comment.

garry23

A1ex

I have read all the requests and I personally don't relate to them. Saving time taking brackets is important if you are handholding, ie faster the better. On my 50D I use the 3-bracket canon bracketing when handholding as I can shoot at 6fps.

As I said, I use the LV 'trick' when on a tripod and most of my shots are not moving, eg churches..

Thanks for your usual quick comments and over and out on this one, as I ave ML and LV.

cheers

Garry

a1ex

Also, there is a technical difficulty: LiveView can be enabled either on half-shutter (ugly solution), or after first shot (inconsistent, big delay between first and subsequent shots).