5d MkIII to get uncompressed HDMI output - The obvious question

Started by Andy600, October 23, 2012, 10:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

So the 5d MkIII is going to get clean, uncompressed 4:2:2 HDMI output in April 2013 (yes, 6 months time  :o) http://nofilmschool.com/2012/10/canon-5d-mark-iii-getting-uncompressed-hdmi-in-official-firmware-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nofilmschool+%28NoFilmSchool%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Shame it's still only 8-bit.

The obvious question is will this be something ML can bring to other models?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

dude

in my opinion, recording with a good bitrate and even 422 on a card would be ways better, then one of the main reasons to use a dslr is that it s small and handy. you can shoot out of your backpack, or guerilla style.
with a external device these benefits are gone

modology

I hope Alex and ML team would be able to observe this firmware update on 5D3 to see if you guys can get HDMI clean signal for other Canon camera including 7D, 5D2, etc...

1%

Obvious idea for me is to make YUV "recording" size while idling (would help silent pics too). But I haven't been able to figure out how it resizes. Maybe do what it does when it starts recording. I've tried skipping SD resize when it starts but it seems camera can't handle encoding + out through HDMI with 1 digic IV.  I think HDMI resizes whatever is in YUV buffer to 1920 or whatever.

Sergey Pylypenko

Quote from: 1% on October 24, 2012, 04:46:42 AM
Obvious idea for me is to make YUV "recording" size while idling (would help silent pics too). But I haven't been able to figure out how it resizes. Maybe do what it does when it starts recording. I've tried skipping SD resize when it starts but it seems camera can't handle encoding + out through HDMI with 1 digic IV.  I think HDMI resizes whatever is in YUV buffer to 1920 or whatever.
I might sound naive, so forgive me for that since I am trying to distract you with (who knows) fresh idea. What if you guys combine your efforts with Thomas Worth and his 5DtoRGB. He's 'un-compressing' .MOV into AppleProRes 4444. May be there is a way to do the same process while recording by replacing Canon's compression...

1%

Wonder how that utility stacks up to cineform. I'm going to try it especially on my high bitrate and luma pushed footage.

On 600D HDMI appears to be 4:1:1 from cursory reading of the firmware, don't know how it is on 5dIII but I guess the same. What he is doing looks to be upsampling + converting color, which is good but I don't like the money begathon and the email address collection.

The 64 bit one crashes for me but 32 bit is cranking away. Faster than cineform, 175MBs DNxHD a little bigger, the 115Mbps one a little smaller (150MBps original). Quality doesn't seem too different and there is a ghost audio track added. RLE stuff comes out with PAR of 0 and nothing is displayed :( HUFFYUV seems to work.

Kind of an interesting utility, this doesn't really work with HDMI though, either way its upsampling. Feel sorry for Mac guys and H.264, QT is an SOB and I wish it would die. My system uses HW assisted decoders to play it back though and it shows at correct 0-255 range already (probably why quality looks the same). Dunno what AE does to it but assume CS6 handles DSLR footage correctly, esp since everything else does. Looks like I'll never use canon E1 plugin.