[WONTFIX] 8 band paragraphic EQ with Color

Started by calypsob, October 28, 2012, 02:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calypsob

I skimmed the manual for a bit and saw no way to directly adjust color by frequency.  I produce music alot and use whats called an 8 band paragraphic EQ.  It allows you to cut or boost audio frequencies by adjusting the band over whatever frequency you want and then you can apply a curve.  I am wondering if it would be possible to do this for exposures in canon cameras that work with magic lantern.  In astrophotography it is difficult to properly expose H-Alpha regions because canons have a filter that rolls off this frequency over the sensor.  It is still there but very subtle.  It would be great to have the ability to use an eq which could boost and cut colors by frequency, I suppose technically colored light is refered to as nanometers.  Is it possible to have this function as some sort of picture style or something in a 600d? Picture style would be set to monochrome and then it would be great to be able to shoot your own RGB channels separately by filtering out custom channels and then stacking them together in post processing. thanks guys
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

calypsob

a visual it would look something like this chart http://www.ruthcsmith.com/psych101/lightstimulus.html   x axis is nanometer range and y axis would be gain or saturation, Im not familiar with the correct jargon but Im sure a programmer would know what Im trying to say.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

a1ex

That's more like a custom development for your particular needs, not a feature from which many users can benefit.

FYI: Magic Lantern and picture styles operate at software level, they can't alter what kind of light gets recorded by the sensor.

calypsob

Well rats, I was really hoping that some were within all the in camera processing it was doable.  I have to say that I cant help but draw up similarities between music production and photography sometimes.  On a computer you can use software based eq's- "in camera processing equivalent with photography"  or external hardware based eq's such as a crane song ibis " external h-alpha 58mm screw on filter equivalent with photography" SO basically Software and hardware based manipulation of frequency range.  I would imagine that people could find many other creative uses for this type of function if it were possible, maybe it would benefit infrared photography as well. I can foresee a very cool version of HDR in which you can expose color channels at different exposures and iso's and blend them back together in post.  I will admit this is a way off the wall idea but hey thats kind of what magic lantern is all about right?  Since we are on the topic how about a graphic eq for in camera audio?? Thanks for your time btw.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

a1ex

Quotebut hey thats kind of what magic lantern is all about right?

No, Magic Lantern was never supposed to replace post processing.

calypsob

Well thats no exactly what I said, but yes I agree.  It seems that post processing is the only way to do this without filters artificially.  The closest I can find to anything relating to what I am talking about is called spectral selectivity. http://photo.net/learn/optics/edscott/ms000010.htm   It takes place in post processing and I don't think it is quite ready to replace expensive physical narrow band astronomik filters yet http://www.astronomik.com/en/   Maybe one day we will see something along the lines of in camera digital nanometer wavelength manipulation.  I apologize for my narrow understanding of ML's capabilities but I have to admit that it takes my imagination to other places.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

g3gg0

this makes no sense. ML cannot replace any hardware filter.
at least not better or worse than any postprocessing.

so it makes no sense at all to put that into ML.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

calypsob

Full spectrum T2i
T3i

g3gg0

no need to excuse. forum is for asking of course.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!