40mm STM Lens Firmware; useful for 650D investigation?

Started by Bellamy, September 20, 2012, 01:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellamy

Not being a developer and being new to ML, I don't know how useful this is, but a firmware update has been released for the 40mm STM pancake lens. It's for use with the EOS-1D X, 5D Mark III, and 650D.

The update is firmware version 1.2.0, can be downloaded from the following site (Japanese):
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/lenses/ef_lenses/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm#DriversAndSoftware

I'm very much wanting to see Magic Lantern on the 650D, which I recently purchased. While I know that lens firmware may not help port ML to the 650D (I guess it would depend on how the 650D handles the lens firmware), I just thought I'd share this information just in case.

Unfortunately, I only have the 18-135 STM lens at this time, so I can't help investigate.

elmatambre

hello iam from Argentina I have the canon t4i or 650 too and i have the lens 40mm stm is a good lens. I like test if you have a beta version of ML.
Canon 650D Tamron 17-270mm 3.5/6.3 sigma 30 1.4

bart

They now have a separate lens firmware update. So still no useful firmware for the 650D :(

jplxpto

I've read in some website that, communication between the camera and the lens is made with the SPI protocol.
You may be able to intercept the communication between the two components and obtain any additional information.

There are some extenders on the market that can help create a spy hardware.
Of course, it would be necessary to have such equipment, and preferably an oscilloscope.

nanomad

The commincation is between the Lens and the Tx Chip, so we need to run some code on that first
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jplxpto

Quote from: nanomad on October 30, 2012, 11:22:02 PM
The commincation is between the Lens and the Tx Chip, so we need to run some code on that first

Yes, I understand!
but...
I believe someone has done this before.
There are some equipment market to engage in manual lenses that allow you to the AF indication focus.
I do not believe it was the canon to provide them with the necessary documentation.

nanomad

Well, they simply R.E. the communication between the lens chip and the Tx Chip. In this case the emulation of the lens protocol proved to be easier than hacking the entire camera ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5