[ALREADY DONE] Silent Mode control for T2i to use studio strobes/live view

Started by gkase, October 27, 2012, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkase

The T2i can not fire studio strobe lighting in live view mode. the issue is that other cams like 7d, 40D , 5d etc allow to disable (enable?)
silent mode and also disable exposure simulation (not sure if that is required or not) but T2i does not allow. What I would love to see is the ability to enable live view, see well enough to use magic lantern to manual focus and then fire off a still shot using studio strobe units.
What do you think?
thnx
George

a1ex

gkase

forgive me Alex...I searched the site...and of course I looked at the menu but I had no idea that function would
allow me to trigger the hot shoe circuit to fire non-canon strobe flashes in Live View mode. Am I correct in understanding this capability correctly? This will be big news in many still photo forums if true

gkase

watch for a sharp uptick in new ML users as I spread the word. Thanks!

gkase

oops...not working for me. is this the menu option "silent picture" in Shoot menu? when I am in LV mode, it does not trigger a flash on the hot shoe when I press the shutter. It disables LV on half press but does not trigger flash when full press. Am I not finding the correct location of this feature?

a1ex

Silent pictures are not related to flash, just use that flash trick and make sure flash is enabled.

I don't have any external flash, but other people said it worked.

gkase

the link you sent me to (userguide) has a section called "flash tweaks" and here's what it says:

"3rd party flash in LV: a trick for using a non-Canon flash in LiveView on Rebel cameras, which disables LiveView on half-shutter press. DISABLE this option when you don't use it!!!"

But, where is this option? Which part of the menus is this in? I can't find anything that looks like it might be right. It sounds perfect, but I can't see where it is in the menus...

gkase

I guess since this is existing feature I will ask on the general forum section...thanks Alex

gkase

Never mind...I knew I had the latest version of ML but I was using another SD card with version prior to having this feature...
no wonder it was not findable...for future seekers...you can indeed shoot an external studio strobe setup with a T2i or 550d. just go under the "Shoot" menu and you will find the 3rd party flash toggle. It temporarily disables the live view, shoots with flash trigger and then returns to live view. works great and many thanks to Alex or whoever did the tweak.
George