[DONE] Quick move liveview focus box

Started by engardeknave, October 26, 2012, 12:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engardeknave

In liveview it's a pain moving that focus box around because you have to wait for it to crawl across the screen. I focus and recompose instead. As a result I can never get much use from magic zoom because it's never showing what I want to focus on.

But I realize I mostly want the focus box to be one third or two thirds across the screen up or down-- ie. to just jump directly where it should be according to the rule of thirds. So this could work a couple of ways. Hopefully it's possible to make the focus box jump somewhere on the screen on arrow pad press.

I'd implement this with a single menu item that can be further configured for five, or nine positions to which the box jumps to on arrow press. If it were configured for five positions, the focus box would jump to the corners one-third in horizontally and vertically and also the center. The nine positions would be a 3x3 grid adhering to the rule of thirds as well as vertical and horizontal center rows.

a1ex

I like the idea, try in tomorrow's nightly build.

Can you suggest a name for the menu entry, better than "Quick Focus Box", with max. 15 characters?

engardeknave

I think that's probably the best name for it. Unless you like the confounding, yet technically more accurate, "Focus Box Snap". (Snaps the focus box to predetermined points.) Actually that would probably make a good tooltip either way.

vertigopix

Excellent idea and perfectly working !  :)  (EOS 60D)

engardeknave

This is pretty awesome. Personally I'd prefer to be able to navigate using the directional keys instead of iterating through the points with the center button. Could there be an option for this? I don't see myself making minor adjustments to the box position when I need only move the camera a fraction of a degree to recompose. Still, an enormous improvement.

a1ex

That's quite a bit harder to implement (8 keys to handle, and should be fully navigable with 4 keys). Plus, you lose the option for fine tuning. If anyone wants to do it, be my guest.

a1ex

What about just moving the focus box faster? (done)

engardeknave

Excellent. Yes, I think this will do for me.