Ml 5D3 installation procedure

Started by Dickens, October 26, 2012, 01:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dickens

I am having difficulty updating my firmware 1.1.3 to the new ML Alpha 2 for the 5D3. I downloaded the firmware and placed the entire ML downloaded folder in the root directory of the SD card. When I attempt to update I am advised "Memory card containing firmware is required to update".  I then reformatted the card, in the camera, and placed the downloaded ml-5D3-113.fir file in my root directory. When I attempt to update the firmware to ML I get an advisory that all the ML files are necessary and the ML update is unsuccessful. The camera reverts to the original ver. 1.1.3.

The important notes in the ML User Guide state, "• If you have a bootable SD card and have the BOOTDISK flag set in the camera (which the installer does), and you do not have an AUTOEXEC.BIN file on the card the camera WILL NOT BOOT! It will hang and not wake up until the battery is removed." Could someone please explain this statement. I fear this might be my problem and I don't have a clue as to what it means.

Thanks for any help.

Kent

nigelbb

You need the ml-5D3-113.fir file & the ML folder containing all the required files in the top level directory. I just unzipped magiclantern-5D3.113.alpha2.zip & copied the contents of the magiclantern-5D3.113.alpha2 folder created to the top level of the SD card.

Dickens

Nigel,
Thanks for your response. I am operating on a Mac with OS 10.7.5. I downloaded the ML for Mac and I am unable to unzip the file. I can't even open it to see it's content. The file in the download is titled ml-5D3-113.fir. I have downloaded just that file to the root directory, top level of the SD card. The file shows up on the camera, I am able to update the firmware but nothing happens. The camera reverts back to Canon firmware 1.1.3.

Thanks
Kent

nanomad

That's why OSX sucks (sorry). Sometimes it will refuse to open certain zip files. Try using windows or linux to uncompress the .zip file
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Dickens

I have used Mac computers for over 15 years and have never had a incompatibility issue.  Is there not a better solution? I downloaded what was labeled for Mac.
Kent

Dickens

I can't be the first person with OSX that want's to use ML.  Help, Please

discocalculi

Strange. I'm using Mountain Lion with a 2012 year model mac and it unpacks easily on the desktop. From there I drag and drop it to the card. Never mind mac/pc, as the autoexec.bin and other files are to be put on the SD/CF card and not run from the computer...

Use Unarchiver perhaps?

Dickens

Thanks for the info about The Unarchiver but it will not open the file.

The ML directions seem to be straightforward but I can not get the program to work.  I amy using OS 10.7.5 on a new iMac with all the bells and whistles.  I have read most of this site with special attention to installation instructions.

Any suggestions?

Dickens

This is the most unfriendly site I have ever been on. Answers are vague and misleading as are the directions for installing ML. The most given advise is to read the instructions. I have they don't work.

I have waisted enough of my time.

nanomad

Upload a screenshot of the content of the memory card since you probably copied the files in the wrong location ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

you received three answers to three questions you asked.
all three questions were absolutely friendly, non-offending and topic related.

and as noone answers your fourth question as noone has an idea what you have done wrong, you tell us we are unfriendly?
ever thought about that we ML devs have
a) main jobs we work at
b) families that need their time and
c) a huge camera firmare project that needs its attention?

and you complain about one day delay in answering your threads...
sorry, i am not tolerating such behavior by any means.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!