Best sunset time-lapse setup?

Started by nchant, October 25, 2012, 11:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nchant

Hey,

Took these shots yesterday, 1.5 hours of footage (1 shot every 10 seconds) but still trying to figure out the best bulb ramping setting for sunsets? How exactly do the settings work? Notice all the exposure jumps, how can I set it up to make less or run smoother? After using LR Timelapse it done a pretty good job of smoothing it out in poist, but what's the best practice for getting the shoot right?

:)

Final time-lapse:
https://vimeo.com/52183374

a1ex

At fast shutter speed you will get flicker - guaranteed. So if you don't want to deflicker, the only option is to use very slow shutter speeds (longer than 1 second).

Africashot

I am also getting drastic changes in exposure, not really flicker but huge steps. I am not sure how to work around this, so far I have not found a software able to deal with it. I was tring with LRT timelapse (free version) and setting the 'Holy Grail' keyframes manually (I wouldn't mind paying for the full version but first I want to know if it is actually able to deal with those exposure jumps...) but so far nothing really works out, I have a shoot planned for next week and have this sunset timelapse in my mind, I really hope I can find some workflow with good enough results until then...
ML 5D2 & T3i

MichalLeder

Quote from: nchant on October 25, 2012, 11:06:21 PM
Hey,

Took these shots yesterday, 1.5 hours of footage (1 shot every 10 seconds) but still trying to figure out the best bulb ramping setting for sunsets? How exactly do the settings work? Notice all the exposure jumps, how can I set it up to make less or run smoother? After using LR Timelapse it done a pretty good job of smoothing it out in poist, but what's the best practice for getting the shoot right?

:)

Final time-lapse:
https://vimeo.com/52183374

Hi nchant,

in fact I cant see much flicker here. Was the video modifies after you posted?
IMO exposures here are consistent here frame to frame.
What I personally do not like here is too fast clouds movement. Naturally final effect depends on wind speed, current focus lenght used etc. however here it is too fast.