422ToImage - Silence Pic YUV422 images to JPEG, PNG, BMP and TIF converter

Started by mindogas, October 23, 2012, 11:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindogas

For learning timelapse and testing purpose Silence Pic is unbeatable feature. I'm using it for testing motorized timelapse slider and it's motor/camera controller. I'm doing lots off shoots while testing and without this function my camera would be in the middle/end of it's shutter resource. Problem we are facing - slow image conversation from *.422 files to well known formats. For example in  Intel Xeon E5606 2,13GHz, 4 Core and 6GB RAM workstation original ML program converted only 1.6 frames per second.

Software:
Idea was to make fast and useful software for this job. After same work with I finished with it. Programming was done with C# language in Visual Studio 2010 environment.

Compare:
In mentioned Intel Xeon E5606 workstation this software doing 35 frames per second performance. To compare speed I made few videos in my home PC (using V1.0 version).
422-jpg-v2.exe processing 100 pictures in 1024x680:

My software processing same files:

And one more time my software doing 999 pictures:

At the end this software looks promising. Now to convert lots of files we do not need to wait long time. Event with one core CPU this program doing it's job faster because software constructing new image using Fast Bitmap methodology. After some works in spare time software now have HDR image generation, resize, rotate, crop options. Nowaday we are facing v1.6 version but with help with users developing continues.

422ToImage 1.9 features:

• Multi-core utilization;
  • CPU priority setup option;
  • Managing photos list;
  • Image preview;
  • JPEG (with quality choice), PNG and BMP output formats;
  • Supports all ML Simple mode and HiRes resolutions. Extra resolutions could be added manualy to resolutions.xml file;
  • Images rotate option;
  • Image crop option;
  • Image resize with aspect ratio option;
  • HDR image generating option with all Enfuse options;
  • Input image delete after conversation option;
  • Keep original images date to output option;
  • Bath rename option;
  • Unknown resolution revealing tool;
  • (Expermental) YUV422 RAW movie converting to images;

Download:
Windows binaries could be downloaded here: https://bitbucket.org/mindogas/422toimage/downloads
Visual Studio 2010 source code: https://bitbucket.org/mindogas/422toimage/src

I think someone will find this software usable. I'm looking forward to continue developing and upgrading this software so all suggestion and bug reports are welcome.

kihlbahkt

Mindogas,
Thanks for your development efforts on this app.

In the readme file you have a link to enblend/enfuse that does not work. I used the URL below to get to the software.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/files/latest/download

600D x2

1%

Thanks! You make .422 usable for me. Willing to say the other programs are crap.

mindogas

Quote from: kihlbahkt on October 23, 2012, 07:06:37 PM
Mindogas,
Thanks for your development efforts on this app.

In the readme file you have a link to enblend/enfuse that does not work. I used the URL below to get to the software.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/files/latest/download
Thanks for pointing this mistake. Fixing right now.

mindogas

Quote from: a1ex on October 24, 2012, 02:57:06 PM
You may also want to sync with this: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/5dd16c4e08fc
Thanks for pointing. Actually I'm tracking changes in ML source, so I would found thous changes too.
For now I fixed 1x resolution and added photo mode to resolution.xml file but i will publish it with next bigger software version update. While 5D3 port are not stable i thing were is no hurry to do update right now.

kihlbahkt

Found another small issue. Misspelling in dialog that appears when the user has selected check box to delete original 422 files and then hits Start button.

original is misspelled as orgilan.

Your software makes using 422 files very easy. Nice job.
600D x2

mindogas

Quote from: kihlbahkt on October 25, 2012, 07:22:36 AM
Found another small issue. Misspelling in dialog that appears when the user has selected check box to delete original 422 files and then hits Start button.

original is misspelled as orgilan.

Your software makes using 422 files very easy. Nice job.
OK, my English is a little bit worst i think :)
Fixed. Thanks.

kihlbahkt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3KEPYNgoE

Here is a 7 sec example of simple silent picture sequence converted using 422toImage to JPEG then exported from Premiere Pro as a movie.
look for the squirrel...

Mindogas,

Software works great for simple and fast conversion of .422 files. Have not previously done much with silent pic but this app is great.
600D x2

mindogas

Some help needed for testing new feature - tool for finding unknown image resolution.

This tool will appear you pressing start button and program finds out that image have weird size. Some screenshots:

The list of resolutions depends from size of the image. If you find correct option by pressing Save button resolutions.xml will be updated and conversions starts with new setup.

Please anyone try this at home: https://bitbucket.org/mindogas/422toimage/downloads/1.7beta.zip (left resolutions.xml blank for this reason)

ilguercio

Is this for high-res pictures as well? I might submit my findings from my 50D.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

mindogas

Quote from: ilguercio on November 06, 2012, 01:45:30 PM
Is this for high-res pictures as well? I might submit my findings from my 50D.
No, this is only for simple and zoomed silence pictures. For now HiRez images have the same resolution for all cameras if this option is possible.

ilguercio

Quote from: mindogas on November 06, 2012, 01:55:59 PM
No, this is only for simple and zoomed silence pictures. For now HiRez images have the same resolution for all cameras if this option is possible.
Ok, thanks.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

ilguercio

I still don't understand, i can convert 422 files from my 50D easily (burst or continuous and simple SP) and i can't get HR or SP while recording to be converted. So, what is this for? Am i missing something? Aren't the resolution of all these files known?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

mindogas

Quote from: ilguercio on November 06, 2012, 02:19:17 PM
I still don't understand, i can convert 422 files from my 50D easily (burst or continuous and simple SP) and i can't get HR or SP while recording to be converted. So, what is this for? Am i missing something? Aren't the resolution of all these files known?
While resolution.xml is empty you shouldn't be able to convert SimplePictures in continues, burst or other modes. For thous files you should be asked to setup custom resolution. This tool is for future cameras then new resolutions will came. Regarding Hirez there is one bug now. I'll fix it later.

ilguercio

Thanks, i got that resolution.xml error the first time i used your converter but i don't get it anymore.
Let me know when you manage to solve the issue with HR silent pics.
Thanks again.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

mindogas

Quote from: ilguercio on November 06, 2012, 02:34:08 PM
Thanks, i got that resolution.xml error the first time i used your converter but i don't get it anymore.
Let me know when you manage to solve the issue with HR silent pics.
Thanks again.
Weird question: are you playing with this beta build: https://bitbucket.org/mindogas/422toimage/downloads/1.7beta.zip?
Also: HR silent pics troubles for 50D are not converter problem but ML.

ilguercio

Quote from: mindogas on November 06, 2012, 02:37:42 PM
Weird question: are you playing with this beta build: https://bitbucket.org/mindogas/422toimage/downloads/1.7beta.zip?
Also: HR silent pics troubles for 50D are not converter problem but ML.
Nope, i was talking about the previous one. I'll move to 1.7 in a second ;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

mindogas

Quote from: ilguercio on November 06, 2012, 02:40:18 PM
Nope, i was talking about the previous one. I'll move to 1.7 in a second ;)
As i sad this update is for unknown YUV resolutions. This won't for resolving 50D ML bugs.

ilguercio

Ok, i got it.
Nice to know about the 50D.
No zoom:1024*680
5X and 10X zoom: 944*632
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

cosmo.lv

Quote from: mindogas on November 06, 2012, 02:45:25 PM
As i sad this update is for unknown YUV resolutions. This won't for resolving 50D ML bugs.

Hi, and thanks for such a great work, but is any hope for MAC users, i mean native application for mac?
5D Mark II

mindogas

Quote from: cosmo.lv on February 23, 2013, 04:12:50 AM
Hi, and thanks for such a great work, but is any hope for MAC users, i mean native application for mac?
No chances from my side.  Generally I'm programming only applications for Windows OS and Atmel's and I have no spare time to learn MAC stuff :)
I suggest to try run my software on mac over CrossOver or WineBottler. If you lucky maybe performance won't be decreased so much.

1%

scrax

Quote from: cosmo.lv on February 23, 2013, 04:12:50 AM

For Osx there is a script in the repo but you need to install PIL before, other dependencies are already installed on mac (Python, pip).
prepare.Lion.sh shoud help in installing what's missing.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

escho

Quote from: 1% on March 04, 2013, 04:58:53 PM
It has problems running in wine on linux.

I´m running this in OpenSuse 12.2 with wine without any problems.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed