Mis-step during install, possible Bricked T2i. Light still flashes once though.

Started by EMJAYWLZ, October 21, 2012, 07:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMJAYWLZ

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 09:00:23 PM
Did you see the screen saying "Firmware Update Program - Loading"? (you didn't answer this).

When you have tried the blink test, did you make the card bootable first? (e.g. with eoscard)

Hi A1ex,

Thanks for your patience with me on this.

No, I did not see the screen saying "Firmware Update Program - Loading" when using the ML SD install card.  I watched the vimeo video link you sent me and I see what you referring too.  I don't remember getting that far.  I'm pretty sure the camera locked up after inserting the SD card with ML incorrect folder structure in it and then turning the camera on.  Then it went dark.

Yes, I did make the SD card "bootable" using EOSCard on a windows machine for the blink test.  I then placed the autoexec.bin file for the blink test in the bootable sd card, then in my Rebel T2i.  I replaced the battery, powered up and the same results, one blink, nothing more.

I just watched a video on how to use EOSCard.  I will make another attempt at a bootable SD card via EOS card with the blink test file to be sure I've done it correctly.

Thanks for the link on Bug Reports.  I'll check it out.

Quote from: nanomad on October 23, 2012, 09:26:20 PM
@EMJAYWLZ What firmware update did you use (the one that "killed" the camera)? Can you give us the link?
Was it called e8kr7109.fir or 550D-109.fir ?

Greetings nanomad,

"e8kr7109.fir"  is the firmware update that I downloaded, and installed on my Canon Rebelt T2i.  I went through the menu system and visually confirmed the update to 1.0.9.

Below is link for the firmware update that I downloaded from the Canon website.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital7/firmware.html

Quote from: iheartbmx on October 23, 2012, 09:39:12 PM
I was having some of the same issues you originally had (Blank screen, one light blink) I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb SDXC in my 550D. I BELIEVE What ended up working in my case was low-level formatting the card, boot version 2.2, then replace the ML files on the card with with version 2.3's. I think the install info for 2.3 explained that this is not recommended? Just my experience.. running fine so far.

iheartbmx,

Much thanks. I'll look into this and report back if there are any changes.

Best,

MJ

a1ex

So:

1) You have upgraded to 1.0.9 and you have seen the confirmation that update completed successfully.

2) You removed the card, copied ML files, then placed it back in the camera and started it. Camera did not start.

Is this correct?

If so, ML did not run and it's not the cause of your problem. It's more likely that Canon's 1.0.9 update did something wrong, and you have to contact a service center.

EMJAYWLZ

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 11:46:23 PM
So:

1) You have upgraded to 1.0.9 and you have seen the confirmation that update completed successfully.

2) You removed the card, copied ML files, then placed it back in the camera and started it. Camera did not start.

Is this correct?

Yes to question 1. 

Yes to question 2 (I think).  My memory is kind of foggy at this point so I can't be 100% sure if reached the second firmware update window when attempting to install the ML software.

But after everything I've tried, I'll agree with you at this point that this issue is probably more attributed to the original firmware update to 1.0.9. 

I'm going to try another pass at the diagnostics, the suggestion by iheartbmx, and then look toward sending this in for service.

I do have faith in the ML software though and look forward to using it at some point.

Thanks to everyone for your all of your help.  I'll keep checking in if there are any other ideas or fixes offered, or if anything changes on my end.

All the best,

MJ

Grahamoso

This has happened to my camera. But I don't believe it is the the install that causes the problem. With mine I used it at my house took a couple of photos whatever, put it in the bag to go to a shoot and when I got there I had this issue. Blank screen, autofocus works, won't take photos, battery light flashes on removing a battery, lens read out through viewfinder but nothing else. Exactly like this. I would love to know if anyone found a solution as my camera is to all intents and purposes a paperweight until I can fix this. Or I could drop it and call the insurance, but I don't realy want to do that. I'd love to know if that last idea worked....

Anyone who can help is a hero and a lifesaver, you guys are my only hope.

rmelini

I have exactly the same problem with my t2i as i tried to install ML. Basically, my camera is a brick with focus. HELP, Please!

rmelini

I just took the battery out, waited for 5 minutes, formatted the SD on my computer, put the SD on my camera, put the battery and IT WORKS AGAIN!  :)

EMJAYWLZ

I'm glad to hear that you fixed the problem. 

I apologize in advance for not posting this sooner.  Truth be told the ML install scare kept me from installing the software even after the camera was fixed.

So originally, I had copied the ML data onto an SD card and only after I upgraded the camera firmware did I move on with the install.

(Read earlier parts of the thread if you wish to re-live the ordeal.)

Anyway, after the card was inserted I went ahead and did the firmware update with the ML SD card and the camera died on me.  It had some reactions from time to time, auto focus, shutter action with no picture being taken, a locked red work light that wouldn't stop unless I removed the battery.

Since this all happened right after installing MD, I felt that ML had to play a role in it, but I was not certain.  I tried all the tricks and suggestions to fix the issue, but nothing worked.

After much help and discussions from the ML Leaders of the forum, they were very confident it was the camera and not the software, and they were right.

I ended up sending it back to Canon, out of warranty, and chose not to include the details of ML in the repair request.

The camera had lite use and had not been abused so it didn't seem right that this problem should be occurring regardless of ML.

As it turns out the logic board in the Camera was failing, and had nothing to do with ML.

Canon replaced it, no questions asked, no charge, and I got the camera back in perfect working order.  It makes me wonder if this is a common issue with the Rebel T2i.

Trepidatious, I stayed away from ML for some time.  But a buddy of mine with an older and exact same camera, has been sporting ML for sometime with no errors or issues  whatsoever.  So I worked up the nerve and gave it another shot.

I couldn't be happier with the result.  I followed the instructions and installed ML and it works wonderfully.  Actually now with the ML software installed I want to use my camera more for video work, particularly the focus tools.  It makes it a more enjoyable experience when shooting video with this little DSLR.

So there you have it.  If all else fails and all the trick and suggestions on this forum do not work for a possibly bricked camera, it may just be the camera. 

Good luck to anyone out there suffering from the same techno-mality.  I hope this post offers some comfort in knowing that what may be a brick right now may just need a tune up.

Big thanks to the entire Magic Lantern Team!

Best regards,

MJ

Michael J. Walls
DP/Cameraman
www.MikeJWalls.com