Focus stacking in ML: is this the best way to do it?

Started by psychodad, October 21, 2012, 10:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychodad

Hi all,

I started with ML a week ago with the intention of using it for focus stacking. After 1 week of (fustrating) experimenting, I found a way to use it. But is it the best way?

I have a Canon 600D with several lenses, the one I use for macro is a Sigma 50mm Macro.

When I want to shoot a stack, this is my procedure:
First I set my focus starting point by setting focus on manual. That's the only wat I found to use the Live View selection and zoom capabilities.
After setting the start point, I keep the focus on manual and set the Live View selection to the end point and zoom the Live View in. I don't set the focus yet, but if I don't go to the end point, I can't go there in ML.
Then I switch the focus to auto, set the parameters and select end point in the ML menu. Pressing it twice allows me to focus on the end point with the arrows on the area that I selected in the first step.
I needed to select Play instead of Snap, Snap will auto focus on the preselected focus point and the stack is worthless (took me some days to figure this out).
To start the stack, the option Stack Focus MUST be selected in the ML menu before you press Play. If you leave it on Focus End Point and press Play, the end point is set to 0 and you can start all over.

Is this the correct way to use Focus Stacking in ML? Or is there a simpler way? Or am I missing something?

stillstonevisions

I'm also having difficulties learning to use Focus Stacking....for a 60D.  I just posted in general topics.  I'm sorry to see no one has responded to your post in the months since you posted.  Have you figured out how to make it work?  Or given up?

psychodad

No, I didn't give up. The procedure I described I still use and it works for me.
Did some great stacks with it.

I use CombineZM with it. Freeware and good results.

a1ex

ed.jenner

I mentioned this is another thread, but it's probably worth mentioning here.  Anyone having issues with focus stacking should definitely try the nightly, it is much nicer IMO.  If you are used to the old version you might need to tinker with it for a few minutes, but basically it no longer re-sets the number of pictures as easily.  The way I was using it I had to explicitly re-set and/or copy the focus rack settings.  I think it might be one extra step over what I was doing previously, but over a shoot it actually saves a lot of time.  Easy to repeat a stack too if you need to just change the exposure or something moves.

I like it.  A lot.  Thanks!

stillstonevisions

I don't understand the reference "nightly".  I read the other thread and most of it was over my head in techno babble.  I wish someone would write docs for ML that don't assume we're programmers.

erkkisdt

"Nightly" is the daily test firmware for the officially supported cameras.
That is not for me. I am using 7D.  I have to stick to the one and only 2.0.3 Alpha.

Thanks to psychodad I managed to do a stack of 7 images in less than a day of trials.
I started with exposure backeting, so navigating ML menu was no more a new thing.
Also I had alredy script creation in exposure backeting active for alignment and enfuse.
I did my first macro try with with 24 - 105 F4, but have to try later with a real macro
lense Tokina 100 F2.8. Getting the focus points set is key. Here are my steps with 7D
controls:
-Exposure backeting off
-In Focus menu I first set Stack focus active (SET)
-Start of Stack focus to PLAY instead of SNAP
-In Focus step setting I selected Step Size 1
-Cursor to Focus End Point and START/STOP to activate LiveView
-With LiveView Zoom +/- and joystick and manual focus I got a sharp focus on my
end point
-Without entering ML menu I moved my LiveView Zoom window to a place for
my end point
-Now entering ML menu and pressing SET for Focus End Point
-Special LiveView opens with lots of overlay info
-With pointing finger wheel I scrolled untill my end point had sharp focus (+45)
-After pressing PLAY I got automatically my images and the script

The script is for Linux and uses only the jpeg images. To get the script memory
card needs to be in a reader. EOS Utililty doesn't transfer it.

erkkisdt

I have to correct my writing after more testing.
Focus step setting is wrong place to set the step size.
Under Stack focus set Steps/Pic to a value that suits your DOF and front to back distance.
If you don't have a fruit phone this can be handy: http://www.dofmaster.com/m/index.html

And yes Tokina is working fine. For Focus End Point the focusing clutch needs to be in
MF mode, but for starting point (mistake in previous) clutch should be in AF position.