[WONTFIX] Movie mode: auto exposure with priorities

Started by c2s07, January 07, 2013, 03:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c2s07

I'm not sure whether anyone has asked this before, but I couldn't find a similar topic by searching. Neither in the "don't ask" list.

The following is for cameras which allow auto exposure in movie mode, such as 500D.

What are the chances for an enhanced movie auto exposure, where the user can set priorities for ISO, Av and/or Tv? The camera would still try to obey the exposure compensation setting (-2EV ... 0 ... +2EV).

Examples:
- the user wants +1 EV with minimum ISO (100) and f/8 -> the camera adjusts Tv accordingly
- the user wants +1 EV with 1/60 shutter and f/8 -> the camera adjusts ISO accordingly
- the user wants +1 EV with max 200 ISO and (fixed) f/4 -> the camera adjusts ISO and Tv accordingly

The priorities (Av/Tv/ISO) could be set as minimum, maximum or fixed values. Not all three priorities have to be set or configured; the user could enable only ISO priority (and set its range), and let the camera worry about Av and Tv based on the exposure compensation setting, of course risking that the camera chooses 'wrong' values for these two. As mentioned earlier, the exposure compensation setting would still be more important, so the camera would ignore any custom priorities that restrict it from reaching the desired exposure.

I'm aware that there are already two tricks that already partially accomplish this: FPS override for Tv, and partially unscrewing a lens while holding DoF button for Av. Obviously both have their own limitations, aren't as convenient to use, and cannot help with setting a fixed ISO value.

--

The answer is probably: "not a chance"... :)